Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default My new Ski adventure cont'd. - days 12 & 13

Hi back again with today's report ( 12/19 ) ...… Day 12 ( Mon. ) was a good day although a bit cold ( my hands suffer from prior Frost Bite ) …. spent the day working on my rhythm and trying to keep my ski's closer together..... I'm not so sure they will ever get as close as when I had Non-parabolic ski's, but I wouldn't trade for straight ski's - period. Because of the COLD HAND thing, I attached an old pair of Hippo Hands ( you snow-mobilers know what they are ) , the Velcro On hand grip covers, that have a fleece lining …. I tied the bottom part to my Ski poles and that worked out very well - no cold hands to-day ..... I will have to sew a short strap inside placing it so I would have it by the handgrip and be able to hold it there while skiing.... to-day it would slip forward and then want to head down the pole .... holding a strap against the grip handle will prevent this …. I'm also considering swapping out the ski grips for heated Mtc. grips …. I found some sources for 12v Lithium re-chargeable batteries that I can attach to the poles below the hand grips. I need 12v because that's what every heated MTC grip I've ever seen has..... I was asked about a dozen times while riding the chair what the " Hippo Hands " were on my poles, after explaining the Frost-bite " thing ...all were impressed, some even asked where they could buy them ( denniskirk.com sno-mobile catalog )…. What was really ,really great about today's skiing was A. the weather - sun, mild, no wind and _ B. I actually stopped thinking about the " Mechanics " of Skiing, ie. thinking about what physical inputs you need to do to actually Ski..... I just relaxed and enjoyed the experience.... I also think I skied much better today than any other time ( recently ), I finally was able to ski from Mid-summit to the lifts at the base non-stop......more to come …..thanks ….. Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-19-2018 at 07:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

Shameless Bump ….

Spyder Garage

Nice creative use of the Hippos Mike!
    What mountain are you riding?
    I've not been up to VT in a while...maybe this season ��
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    Nice creative use of the Hippos Mike!
    What mountain are you riding?
    I've not been up to VT in a while...maybe this season ��
    The last time I skied the Temp reached 35F …. On my last two runs I actually took my Ski gloves off, put my un-lined driving gloves on and with just the Hippo's on, my hands stayed warm enough ….. I bought a Season pass for Sugarbush resort ( which now includes the former Glen Ellen ski area )….. If you decide to come North , PM me if you want a place to stay …. Sugarbush is less than 20 minutes from me …… Merry Christmas …….. Mike

Spyder Garage

ohyea:
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-21-2018 at 07:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the kind offer ✌
    I will do if my plans take me up that way.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Hi back again with today's report ( 12/19 ) ...… Day 12 ( Mon. ) was a good day although a bit cold ( my hands suffer from prior Frost Bite ) …. spent the day working on my rhythm and trying to keep my ski's closer together..... I'm not so sure they will ever get as close as when I had Non-parabolic ski's, but I wouldn't trade for straight ski's - period. Because of the COLD HAND thing, I attached an old pair of Hippo Hands ( you snow-mobilers know what they are ) , the Velcro On hand grip covers, that have a fleece lining …. I tied the bottom part to my Ski poles and that worked out very well - no cold hands to-day ..... I will have to sew a short strap inside placing it so I would have it by the handgrip and be able to hold it there while skiing.... to-day it would slip forward and then want to head down the pole .... holding a strap against the grip handle will prevent this …. I'm also considering swapping out the ski grips for heated Mtc. grips …. I found some sources for 12v Lithium re-chargeable batteries that I can attach to the poles below the hand grips. I need 12v because that's what every heated MTC grip I've ever seen has..... I was asked about a dozen times while riding the chair what the " Hippo Hands " were on my poles, after explaining the Frost-bite " thing ...all were impressed, some even asked where they could buy them ( denniskirk.com sno-mobile catalog )…. What was really ,really great about today's skiing was A. the weather - sun, mild, no wind and _ B. I actually stopped thinking about the " Mechanics " of Skiing, ie. thinking about what physical inputs you need to do to actually Ski..... I just relaxed and enjoyed the experience.... I also think I skied much better today than any other time ( recently ), I finally was able to ski from Mid-summit to the lifts at the base non-stop......more to come …..thanks ….. Mike
    Hippo Hands issues …. So I decided the SEW a Strap inside the Hippo Hands wasn't going to work , because with the gloves on I wouldn't be able to feel the strap to get my hand under it ………. New plan , because the Hippo covers are a bit stiff …. I decide to put a screw w/ a large washer thru the top of the cover and into the ski pole grip ….. I tried them out on the 13th and was very happy with the results, they stopped slipping off my hands
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-22-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Getting there

Getting there is Halfe the fun soon it will be all about new paths...can see you are adapting and enjoying it all...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Three days of skiing at Telluride, Co. 48,000 feet of vertical confirmed by the skitrax app. My son and 2 grand sons did a bit more as I was pooped by the end of each day. Telluride is a pretty big and pretty high resort. 12,231 was the highest we got as the very top was not opened. It ws sooooo great to ski with my son and the grandchildren ( 16 and 13 ). We try to a ski ( well the kids snow board ) each winter, one of the highlights of the year.

Mike, glad you've got warm hands. I have to use both hand and toe warmers or else.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I checked out the Sugarbush trail map. Looks like a cool ski resort.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow