Thread: My new Ryde

Spyder Garage

Default My new Ryde

Last Saturday, I purchased a Ryker 600 equipped as follows:

Haze Blue
    Max mount\Passenger seat\Folding back rest
    2-up rear spring
    Adjustable sport windshield

It was purchased without a test ryde as the dealership doesn't allow it. I was pretty certain it would do for my purposes as the power was similar to that of the bike I traded in. With the trade in I never had an issue with power, so I figured it wouldn't be too bad with the Ryker.
    Acceleration is pretty good. So far, most of the ryding has been 2-up. Together, we are probably just over 300lbs with gear. I didn't measure the time to speed, but it got up to 60mph quick enough not to be noticeable as a detriment. On the ryde home, we did hit 75mph before I noticed it. Easy to do. I did notice that when running at 60 the engine ran between 5900 and 6100 RPMs (the max per the manual is 6750).
    One of the "tests" I wanted to run was to take the Ryker over a 175 foot tall bridge in the area at freeway speeds while loaded 2-up. It passed the test with flying colors! It didn't drop speed, it didn't struggle, and I didn't really have to give it too much more throttle!
    When ryding single, it takes about 5-6 seconds to reach 60 MPH. Rolling on the throttle at 60 it takes 4-5 seconds to reach 75 at about 6500 RPM.
    Handling: On smooth surfaces, it was a real nice ride! The tracking was on point, the steering was easy and true.
    On bumpy roads, I found it to be a bit "twitchy"; it seemed to dart left and right a small bit. Not enough to be alarming, but noticeable. Of course, it may just be me trying to adjust to the new\different experience. Having never experienced the ride of a quad type cycle (let alone drive one), I may just need time.
    I found it easier to control the Ryker in big turns by squeezing the body with my knees allowing the arms to be relaxed. For me, this works better than trying to push with the outside foot.

Francis

RykerAboveSm.jpg RykerFrontSm.jpg RykerRtSideSm.jpg
    2019 600 , Haze Blue

Spyder Garage

Congratulations, it’s beautiful! First time I’ve seen one w windshield, I like it. And I think adding the passenger seat really adds to the look. Even if I wasn’t gonna Ride 2 up, I’d still buy passenger seat. Something about it just looks right. And I love the squeezing your legs technique. It’s kind of the same as when you ride a horse. First time I rode a F3 it felt weird to me, then I remembered what I learned when horseback riding, squeezing the legs really helps you feel planted.
    Thank you for the review, enjoy your riding season. Maybe post a follow up review after 3k miles or after a few solo trips.
    Thanks for sharing.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Spyder Garage

Good looking bike.
    If you dont mind sharing....
    What was the OTD price as pictured?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You did well, good looking with all the extras. How are you liking the windshield? How tall are you and does the wind go over your head or blast you in the face. I didn't know if I should order the factory shield or wait for the after market. Thanks, cueman

Spyder Garage

Congratulations Francis. It looks great.
    2012 RT , Pure Magnesium Metalic

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, welcome 👍

Welcome to both the spyder world and this most informative site. congrats on the new ryker, very nice choice of color and design. Thanks for the review. You are one of the first to give such a nice review of the 600 and looks like you put it through its paces. I think it will work for you and passenger...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

very nice review thanks for doing that

Spyder Garage

on the new Ryker.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Excellent review.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the review. I'm curious as to what you traded in that you're comparing your Ryker to? I once had a Burgman 400 that did just fine on the highway, though I never tested it fully loaded.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

It looks really nice and thanks for the reviews I'm getting a 600 also but all of the reviews were the 900's so I was concerned about the power of a 600. After your review I think it'll be fine. How do you like the windshield, does it seem to work good at deflecting the wind at hwy speeds? Thanks, farmer54(frank)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the information and congratulations. With the 600 having that much power with 2 up I would think the 900 is going to be fantastic.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your spyder and to the spyder web. Dale

Spyder Garage

Awesome! Congrats and thanks for the pictures. It looks great! I am realy happy to hear about the power, 2 up on the 600. Looks to me like you have a winner!

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder Owner

Welcome to the Spyder Forum. Thanks for the Update on the 600 Ryker. Nice choice on color.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Ha Ha! I've been registered on this site for 2 years! Just been lurking waiting for what turns out to be the Ryker!

The base price was $8,099 plus delivery, setup, taxes, etc. They charged me $1,400 for parts/labor. $897.63 for dealer freight (I'm in north Florida).

On a good day I'm 6'2". The windshield at the highest level is about chin level; there is a bit of turbulent "drumming" on my helmet. On the lower setting, it seems a bit worse. I'll continue to test.

My trade-in was a Yamaha Bolt. If I remember, it was rated for around 50hp, weighs around 540lbs, and had a 942cc v-twin.

When I was at the dealership, I asked about the Haze Blue panels and they said the didn't think they had any. The parts guy walked by, they asked him about it and he said he thinks the do have one set. He said that would be it since he had just that morning contacted BRP about ordering some more and he was told they are already out. And as I understood it, the Exclusive panel kit was a limited run of about 500-600 per color.

Francis
    2019 600 , Haze Blue

Spyder Garage

Have you had any opportunity to calculate fuel economy for the 600? Several others have posted around 30 mpg for the 900,
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freezefm View Post
    Ha Ha! I've been registered on this site for 2 years! Just been lurking waiting for what turns out to be the Ryker!

The base price was $8,099 plus delivery, setup, taxes, etc. They charged me $1,400 for parts/labor. $897.63 for dealer freight (I'm in north Florida).

On a good day I'm 6'2". The windshield at the highest level is about chin level; there is a bit of turbulent "drumming" on my helmet. On the lower setting, it seems a bit worse. I'll continue to test.

My trade-in was a Yamaha Bolt. If I remember, it was rated for around 50hp, weighs around 540lbs, and had a 942cc v-twin.

When I was at the dealership, I asked about the Haze Blue panels and they said the didn't think they had any. The parts guy walked by, they asked him about it and he said he thinks the do have one set. He said that would be it since he had just that morning contacted BRP about ordering some more and he was told they are already out. And as I understood it, the Exclusive panel kit was a limited run of about 500-600 per color.

Francis
    I will be picking up my Ryker Rally in about 2 weeks. I have already called Bob (owner) at SlipStreamer Windshields. I am 6'3" and I am taking the Factory sport shield and mount up to see if can build a touring shield using mine as a template. I will post pics when Bob designs and makes something for me. Being in Minnesota (Salt, snow,ice and cold) it will be a while before road tests.

Spyder Garage

Congrats on your new ride! I am new to the community. I just put my down payment down for a yellow accent ryker. I was going to get the windshield and passenger seat but I think I am going to wait. I want to ride it without all the extras first plus I don't see myself riding with a passenger since most my friends are over 6 feet tall and over 250lbs. I am brand new to riding and will get my permit in March when I pay it off. I have read the whole manual and seems fairly easy to maintain. I don't think I will do much highway riding so really don't want to get the windshield unless necessary. Do you feel the windshield is needed?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No not really needed. Make sure that you gat a good helmet, a full coverage Flip up is a great way to start equipping your self. Don't get suckered in to getting one of those imitation helmets, ie a Half Helmet or Beanie Helmet.

Enjoy your self.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L