Spyder Garage

Default 2018 Spyder RT Limited seat

I just bought a 2018 RT Limited and find the seat cramped and uncomfortable after 50 - 100 miles. I had been riding Goldwings for years and cannot see riding cross country on this seat. Any suggestions are welcome.

Spyder Garage

Maybe try Lamonster Garage Highway pegs. (I’m going to get those soon). I added the BRP backrest, but that just helped w back support. Maybe look into the “Tallboy Seat”, but I’d start w highway pegs.
    Congrats on the new ride, best of luck!

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Spyder Garage

Highway pegs and a backrest are definitely a good place to start - but maybe start with the pegs in case you are going to swap the seat. Just curious - was the Goldwing comfy without mods?
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Try a "Airhawk R" cruiser seat cushion size large, cheap, good fix.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Goldwings were very comfortable on cross country trips. I bought an Air Hawk cushion but did not need it.

Spyder Garage

I found the same thing to be true with my RT. I put Lamonster highway pegs and a comfort seat on and have been very comfortable since.
    [SIGPIC]
    2021 RT Limited Asphalt Gray
    2021 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Dear Hooded Claw, tell me more about your comfort seat. My seat seems very hard and rigid.

Spyder Garage

I ride all day on my Comfort Seat and since getting the adjustable driver backrest for it I find I am much fresher at the end of a long day. Only your butt can tell you which seat will fit you best. I looked at my Comfort Seat as the least risky gamble cost-wise when I bought the bike and won.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Comfort seat from BRP is a one-seat-fits-all kinda seat. Ultimate, Corbin and Russel-Day long are custom made and only going to their place of business where it's made to fit, is the best way to get the right seat for you. Trying other rider's seats (with their permission) would help determine which seat to get.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Look at the Comfort seat and foot pegs as others have mentioned. Also think about getting a Tri-Axis adjustable handlebar. Your sitting position as determined by the stock handlebars may not be optimum for you. Be careful about judging the Spyder seat by the Goldwing seat. I had a different foam installed in my Goldwing seat because I felt like I was constantly sliding forward. The Spyder stock seat was more comfortable to me than the stock Goldwing seat was, but the BRP Comfort seat made it so I can ride for days without getting a sore tired butt. No stock seat can satisfy everyone, as your situation attests to, and neither will any off-the-shelf after market seat. Hope you can find one that fits you without having to through a lot of agony and $$!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I spent a metric butt load of money trying to make the RT comfortable for us. Seat, bars, pegs, and backrest. A RDL seat was a great improvement but still not the answer so the Spyder went to the neighbor and we got another wing. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DStrine View Post
    I just bought a 2018 RT Limited and find the seat cramped and uncomfortable after 50 - 100 miles. I had been riding Goldwings for years and cannot see riding cross country on this seat. Any suggestions are welcome.
    My suggestion is that you buy my Heated Comfort Seat that I have listed in the For Sale section at less than half price!!
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

If it is so good, why is it for sale?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Probably because it doesn't fit his butt! Just like your 'wing seat fits your butt but my 'wing seat didn't fit my butt. Same seat, two different butts. Fit does not equate to good or bad quality, only to comfort of the fit!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

The other half decided we needed a custom heated seat from Ultimate Seats.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

With the last 2 Goldwing trikes, a '94 GL1500 and a '07 GL1800 we had Diamond seats made to our measurements. Didn't much like the RTL seat so she, uh, WE, ordered another Diamond, again made to our measurements. She wanted to be just a little higher so her nose wasn't even with the DOT/Snell sticker. She says the extra inch an a half makes it easier to see around my helmet. The cost with the custom fitted seat, recovered stock backrest, adjustable rider backrest and rain covers for the seat and passenger backrest was within a few dollars of the Ultimate seat. Plus we chose the material of the seat covering and stitching pattern. Diamond makes their own seat pan so we still got the stock seat as a backup. BTW, I have ridden on a Ultimate seat and have nothing negative to say about it, we just have a very good history with Diamond. A Corbin was on one of the Goldwings, but it was custom made for someone very different in height and weight than us so it didn't fit us at all. It seemed to be well made, but it was not for us. I still have the stock seat on my 1990 Harley FLHS. When I go distance I bring along a sheepskin and a wooden bead seat cover. As I ride I'll rotate them out at gas or rest stops. The change helps a lot.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue