Thread: Recent poor mpg

Spyder Garage

Default Recent poor mpg

I have a 2016 rts special series that I purchased new in September 2017 and it has been great riding currently has 20000 miles.recently my mpg has gone to half of what it was I am in San louis az so should not be cold start issues I cleaned air filter and no help any suggestions always run premium fuel

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

head winds this time of year are a killer

Spyder Garage

Winds have a very big effect on mileage. Some locales also use a winter grade gas. That is very noticeable to me in late fall/early spring.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ktd1911 View Post
    I have a 2016 rts special series that I purchased new in September 2017 and it has been great riding currently has 20000 miles.recently my mpg has gone to half of what it was I am in San louis az so should not be cold start issues I cleaned air filter and no help any suggestions always run premium fuel
    Wow - HALF normal …. That isn't headwinds !!!.... I keep records of my MPG's not because I'm trying to squeeze every drop from my tank ….. I do it because your MPG's tell how your engine is performing..... If your mileage is half of your normal, something is not right, that amount of change is not caused by climate or geography , imho..... On the 1330 engine I'm not sure you could easily tell if one of the cylinders has stopped firing. When two cylinders are doing the work of three cylinders, you will use more Gas to do the normal amount of work …... If it were me I'd run the tank down as far as you can ( safely ) and fill with Regular, run that down and fill it with Regular again..... Then start accurately checking your MPG's ….. Going to Regular won't HURT anything …. my 2014 RT has well over 40,000 mi. on Regular ( with a very small dose of Startron ) and I avg. 38.6 MPG's ……..please keep us informed on this. ……. Mike

Spyder Garage

Good point BK.

And...I have gone from premium (90) to regular (87) with no appreciable change in performance or mpg on either of my machines.

I made the change over at the beginning of last season, and never looked back.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-18-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How exactly are you determining your gas mileage ?

If it really has gone down by half and there isn't a cloud of black smoke billowing out behind you, I would suspect a fuel leak.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    How exactly are you determining your gas mileage ?

If it really has gone down by half and there isn't a cloud of black smoke billowing out behind you, I would suspect a fuel leak.
    Exactly-If you talking I used to get 35 and now its down to 31 you can look for the weather changes BUT if your talking 35 to 18 mpg you need Help?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default Good stuff above....

If nothing has change like ryding habits, ryding double more, pulling a trailer, gone to a lower airpressure, changed tire size, changed fuel supplier etc then you need to check your fuel system. I like to start out with a full tank.... (always fill it to the same level. I go till it bubbles back at the breather holes in the filler) set the trip (A) meter to zero and ryde. Usually when the fuel light comes on head to a station and fill back up. Take that fuel reading and divide it into the mileage on the (A) trip meter. Set it back to zero and go on that way. A lot can affect your mileage but 1/2 is a bit much...good luck and let us know...
    Last edited by Chupaca; 12-18-2018 at 12:23 AM.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks all
    I will try to keep better records and report back

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

MPG is an illusive number to chase down accurately. Last year I posted info on two years worth of gas consumption. Average MPG is best calculated over at least ten tanks of fuel. Tank to tank variation is like a kid jumping on a trampoline.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Assuming your mileage is just worse, but not 1/2 as much worse, consider that possibly the gasoline brand and grade you have purchased may now be the winterized gasoline.

I admit not being an expert on gasoline, but have read that the companies do alter the blends summer vs winter. I would assume that since I live in Florida, we may get summer blend all year.

Not saying this is the cause of your concern, metely a consideration.

Like others, almost each time fuel is added it is logged. Mine is done as a complete log donein Excell. Each row represents a date, mileage, the task, whether maintenance, a modification, or adding fuel. The rows where fuel is added, automatically calculate mpg. Any trends in a negative manner would be cause for concern. One kind of cool thing though, is if a mod is done, say adding a cat bypass, different air filter or whatever, the results on mpg are easily seen as the following rows.

Whatever it is, I hope you find the reason for reduced mpg.

Spyder Garage

There is a way to pull codes out of the computer,you can run a search and find it.Any codes that turn your check engine lite on will also cause your emissions to increase which usually mean lower mpg.If your engine lite isn't on check that it works,although it would be very unlikely that it didn't work.With key on and engine off the lite must be on.Fuel leaks that large can be found by smelling before,during,and after your ride.While your sniffing around,smell the exhaust for any new odor,which would indicate a change in fuel mixture.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Wow - HALF normal …. That isn't headwinds !!!.... I keep records of my MPG's not because I'm trying to squeeze every drop from my tank ….. I do it because your MPG's tell how your engine is performing..... If your mileage is half of your normal, something is not right, that amount of change is not caused by climate or geography , imho...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Replace the fuel filter. It might be getting clogged up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder stryder View Post
    Replace the fuel filter. It might be getting clogged up.
    No disrespect intended here but a clogged fuel filter should NOT make it use MORE fuel.

Spyder Garage

If your fuel or air filter either one is getting clogged with any type of dust dirt or settlements
    this will cause the engine to use extra fuel because you will use the throttle harder to get
    the same performance from the engine. If the fuel mileage drops & you have 20000 or more
    miles on the engine and you can't find anything else wrong replace the filter. Lay the old one
    on your work bench until you know the inside is dry then cut it open pull out the paper element
    an take a look at what is in it. If you see brown dirt or a muddy settlement this is the problem.
    I have found rust flakes & water settlements in filters.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder stryder View Post
    If your fuel or air filter either one is getting clogged with any type of dust dirt or settlements
    this will cause the engine to use extra fuel because you will use the throttle harder to get
    the same performance from the engine.
    Sure that is true to some extent.
    But if it is bad enough to cause 2X the fuel usage, it should be REAL obvious that the throttle response is sluggish and the engine likely will be stumbling as well.

Checking/changing the filters is never a bad idea, especially if they are rather old.
    I just don't see any way it would cause that much extra fuel usage without other symptoms.

Spyder Garage

I have noticed a 3 to 5 MPG drop in the last few weeks. My theory is it is the winter blend fuel. I will be in Fla the next 2 weeks and hope to prove that theory is correct.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    I have noticed a 3 to 5 MPG drop in the last few weeks. My theory is it is the winter blend fuel. I will be in Fla the next 2 weeks and hope to prove that theory is correct.
    I'm skeptical you'll be able to prove anything with two weeks riding, unless you're on the road most all the time. When I did my detailed review of mpg last year I saw that due to tank to tank variations it took about 10 tanks of fuel to get a reliable avg mpg.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    Zip ……………...However the OP is claiming His is a 50 % - change ………. This is not normal imho ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Yes to Idaho. The more data you have--a specific pattern will develop. I have experienced "highs" in mpg and "lows." It all boils down to the conditions of the day, the terrain, and sometimes even the brand of gas.

For accurate records--fill to the same level each time, set a tripmeter to zero at each fill, and you have two good points to work with. PS--I don't believe in over accuracy (as in 5 decimal places). It implies more accuracy than you are really getting. 4.85 gallons used = 4.9 in my book. Close enough. 31.2 mpg = 31 mpg in my book.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Zip ……………...However the OP is claiming His is a 50 % - change ………. This is not normal imho ….. Mike
    2014 RTL Platinum