Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcoming New Members

I would like to ask the admins if there is any way to announce the new members as a group instead of individually? It seems like the "What's New" has become overwhelmed with automatic announcement posts of new members. I myself would like to welcome new members but with so many threads out there it's kind of daunting -- with so many, it's hard to keep track of who you welcomed and who you didn't, and of course every time someone else responds, that thread now has a "new post" and it stays on the "What's New". It's nice to announce the new members but it would be a lot easier to respond and probably a lot more meaningful to them if there was one announcement a week that we could all respond to.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

You haven’t welcomed any new members.

Mark that forum read by double clicking the blue icon, then they won’t be in the top of what’s new for you when you click that link..
    2018 F3 , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that the newest of our group; might prefer a more individual approach to the process...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Another card on the pile for individual welcomes.

I had also thought of groups of five or so...but since have changed my mind.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Another card on the pile for individual welcomes.

I had also thought of groups of five or so...but since have changed my mind.
    …. When I first noticed " Spyderbot " posting this info , I thought it was a TROLL , I checked further and found out He is legit …. I don't think individual posting is necessary, JMHO …. Mike

Spyder Garage

There will be no group posting.

Why you ask, because if a member joins on monday, you want me to welcome that user thats been on the site for a few days & posting on friday with other users?
    2018 F3 , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not sure that having a "robot" blindly welcome every new member with a public thread really accomplishes anything useful.
    It sure does clutter up the new message list.

I think that you just volunteered to Lead the Welcoming Committee!!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 12-18-2018 at 03:10 PM.

Spyder Garage

blindly?

The script does exactly what its supposed to do, makes a post for a new user & welcomes them, i dont see any of you welcoming new members to the community.
    Last edited by AnthonyG; 12-17-2018 at 06:08 PM.
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

How about welcoming the new members that actually post & not just lurk around. Participants are more welcomed

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

how about yes we welcome everybody that joins but the ones that participate & post,rather than lurk, are more welcomed just a thought

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    blindly?

The script does exactly what its supposed to do, makes a post for a new user & welcomes them, i dont see any of you welcoming new members to the community.
    Prior to Sypderbot a lot of us did ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

You just can't keep everyone happy.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Prior to Sypderbot a lot of us did ….. Mike
    No, a very few only welcomed them if they made a post saying they was new.

As ive already said, mark the welcome forum read & then click on the whats new link, then they wont show up as new.
    Last edited by AnthonyG; 12-17-2018 at 08:08 PM.
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I think that the newest of our group; might prefer a more individual approach to the process...
    I wouldn't call an automated welcome from a computer "a more individual approach." Programming-wise, a welcome from a robot is technically proficient but also virtually meaningless. An automated response means about as much as the automated voice on the phone that tells you over and over how important your call is -- while you're left on hold for an hour. And even if they're not saying anything, the "bot" is also getting a very poor response from the rest of the group - not just me. In reviewing posts in the last 48 hours, I could not find a single Spyderbot welcome with more than about four individual welcomes and those were all from the same people: Deanna777, Pegasus1300, Little Blue and akspyderman and none of those were the least bit personal. I applaud those four for at least responding, but there were no individual welcomes from you, Bob. You favor an individual approach, why aren't you welcoming them yourself?

Now, if it's the consensus of the admins that you want an automated Spyderbot "welcome" for every new member, that's fine -- but don't criticize ME for not responding to them when your own admin isn't responding and you have four people out of the entire group doing all the welcomes.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Default To many to keep track off....

I have and continue to welcome all new members when I see their first (or first few) post on the site. We have many members that have never posted here and for all intent and purposes are just lurkers.... In some of the other sites I used to be on the new members often "Thanked for the add" in which case others welcomed them to the group/site...Just me I guess...
    Last edited by Chupaca; 12-18-2018 at 12:21 AM.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    I wouldn't call an automated welcome from a computer "a more individual approach." Programming-wise, a welcome from a robot is technically proficient but also virtually meaningless. An automated response means about as much as the automated voice on the phone that tells you over and over how important your call is -- while you're left on hold for an hour. And even if they're not saying anything, the "bot" is also getting a very poor response from the rest of the group - not just me. In reviewing posts in the last 48 hours, I could not find a single Spyderbot welcome with more than about four individual welcomes and those were all from the same people: Deanna777, Pegasus1300, Little Blue and akspyderman and none of those were the least bit personal. I applaud those four for at least responding, but there were no individual welcomes from you, Bob. You favor an individual approach, why aren't you welcoming them yourself?

Now, if it's the consensus of the admins that you want an automated Spyderbot "welcome" for every new member, that's fine -- but don't criticize ME for not responding to them when your own admin isn't responding and you have four people out of the entire group doing all the welcomes.
    I’ve responded to 10 myself, sorry but I’m not retired myself, but I take care over 30 servers, I run multiple forum sites, not counting the time I’m donating here for Lamont while he’s ill.

There are also more than 4 users that have been responding to the welcome posts on a regular basis.

Regardless of the debate here & the opinions on it, it will stay the way it is as far as the script goes & what it does.

Also, Bob wasn’t referring to the script as being a more individual approach
    Last edited by AnthonyG; 12-17-2018 at 10:30 PM.
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

I have been welcoming new members since 2010. I don't think I have missed to many in that period of time. The bot welcomes get a for now. When they actually make a first post--they will get a "proper" welcome.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-18-2018 at 10:12 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Those users all get redirected to their welcome post once they verify their email after signup
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

You haven’t welcomed any new members.

Mark that forum read by double clicking the blue icon, then they won’t be in the top of what’s new for you when you click that link..
    Could you please translate your comments into non-computer English. I honestly have absolutely no idea what I need to do to eliminate all the new welcome messages. Isn't that what the issue is.....? Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Could you please translate your comments into non-computer English. I honestly have absolutely no idea what I need to do to eliminate all the new welcome messages. Isn't that what the issue is.....? Jim
    Good luck with that!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We
    I agree, I attempted to mark the forum as read, and I succeeded in losing all of the What’s New posts for all forums.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Yes, a whole host of robot generated messages appear whenever new members join.
    It's great to be friendly and welcome new members to the site, but the sheer number of these automatic messages seems to dilute the effectiveness of the site.
    A filter would be greatly appreciated.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Always been a feature on the site

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    We

I agree, I attempted to mark the forum as read, and I succeeded in losing all of the What’s New posts for all forums.
    Thats why i said "mark that forum" read & not "mark forums read"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AnthonyG; 12-18-2018 at 04:54 AM.
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

As a person that is not involved in the Welcome Wagon commitee, never really welcoming new members, seeing the new member posts was a bit much.

Took me a few seconds to try what Anthony recommended, so as needed or more likely, as I remember, I will mark that forum as read prior to opening “What’s New”.

As for the automated message info, seems ok to me as it contains good info a new member should likely know and those wishing to make posts personally welcoming others is cool too.

Spyder Garage

Always been a feature on the site

Thats why i said "mark that forum" read & not "mark forums read"
    I did it similar but a touch different than your red circles. I clicked the topic above the one you circled that is about new members, that topic opened and then I moved the cursor to the right side drop down and marked that new members forum as read. After that I hit the Whats New.

No doubt if a new member post happens after I marked that forum as read, the new post could show up until I mark that forum as read again.

In some ways, and likely not possible with the website software, in the past, there was a huge amount of off topic posts. Myself I seldom participate in off topic, and others mentioned being able to block an entire forum. Doubt this is possible from a user settings standpoint. No big deal, the mark as read works fine for me.