Spyder Garage

Default Find issues with my 2011 RT

Looks like I'll need brake pads soon. Should I use BRP brakes or EBC. I can save money with EBC semi sintered pads. I had a dealer said they squeal. Also the windshield and fairing shake between 50 and about 65 mph. How can I determine if it's tire balance or drive belt?

Spyder Garage

Default Choices, choices

I have the EBC semi pads and they do not squeal. They are a great brake pad and have used and installed them for more than 30 years. As for the windshield... check your alignment, tire balance, air pressure front end and windshield mounting headwear. Will most likely be in these areas....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dg110270 View Post
    Looks like I'll need brake pads soon. Should I use BRP brakes or EBC. I can save money with EBC semi sintered pads. I had a dealer said they squeal. Also the windshield and fairing shake between 50 and about 65 mph. How can I determine if it's tire balance or drive belt?
    Go to BajaRon a supporter of this site.He has an ad on the home page.Order your brake pads from him they will be FAR better then the OEM and cheaper.They should come with new clips but if they don't call EBC in Las Vegas and tell them you didn't get the clips and they will send some. You can also get new filters from BajaRon and many other things.Great place to deal with.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

EBC pads are great, get them from Bajaron. Shaking is either front tires or belt. You could install a belt tensioner and see if that stops it. If not, have the tires checked for balance or out of round.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Thanks ��

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

#1. - If it were the alignment, it would have to be So Bad the Spyder would be UN-RIDEABLE ….. #2. - It's possible that tire pressure could effect this, but I would only give a 10% chance ………… #3. Very, very un-likely the drive could cause this …. #4, - you don't say WHAT brand of tires you have, KENDA's have one of the highest failure rates in the industry …. #5. I would bet Tire imbalance @ 95% probability …. If you gave more HISTORY on this issue it would help to narrow down the possibilities ……….. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

The tires are Kenda's. When I'm in the shake zone the windshield and instrument panel area shake but the tires and fenders don't look like they are bouncing around. The rear tire and my seat feel good. When I hit 70 75 it gets stable. Can you suggest any car brand tire that will work well? I'm running about 16 psi in the front and 28 in rear. Tire wear looks good. Where is most #6 ?
    Last edited by dg110270; 12-17-2018 at 07:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

The tires are Kenda's. When I'm in the shake zone the windshield and instrument panel area shake but the tires and fenders don't look like they are bouncing around. The rear tire and my seat feel good. When I hit 70 75 it gets stable. Can you suggest any car brand tire that will work well? I'm running about 16 psi in the front and 28 in rear. Tire wear looks good. Where is most #6 ?
    ????...number #6 was my post reference in the PM I sent you …..

Thanks for adding info …………New questions - - How long has this issue been going on ??? a short time or since you owned it ??? …. How many miles are on the Spyder ??? Are these original Kenda's ??? ……… If you checked the front pressure to make sure the tires are EQUAL, because they are Kenda's, I think 19-20 psi might be better...… On my RT with well balanced tires my windshield still showed some movement, I added some very thin plastic shims ( made from a margarine TUB lid ). I put them on both sides of the ARMS that raise and lower the windshield.... this was a big improvement ……… Any place that does car tires can ( high speed ) balance your wheels/tires if you bring them in ( removed from Spyder ) I know Walmart does it ….. It's possible that one or more of any wheel weights came off - but that's not common...… Mike

Spyder Garage

I purchased it at 4200 miles about 2 months ago. The problem was there and I knew it. The front two Kenda's were replaced at 3700 miles about March 2017. I also inherited a rough idle. Running Sea Foam thru it now. It idles about 1400 then bounces between 1200 and 1500 when it misses. It smooths out as soon as throttle is increased.
    Last edited by dg110270; 12-17-2018 at 08:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tips

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i see you have changed your tires. If not I would suspect tire cupping.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I purchased it at 4200 miles about 2 months ago. The problem was there and I knew it. The front two Kenda's were replaced at 3700 miles about March 2017. I also inherited a rough idle. Running Sea Foam thru it now. It idles about 1400 then bounces between 1200 and 1500 when it misses. It smooths out as soon as throttle is increased.
    Hi dg,
    There are two small vacuum hoses that connect to the throttle bodies. When these get old( 2011?) they crack and leak air and cause poor idle and seafoam won't fix it. It 's not a real hard fix so I'm told.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Check and replace the two vacuum lines on the throttle body for the erratic idle, it's a known problem.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys for the maintenance tips.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it's tires they will be showing uneven wear patterns, cupping, etc.

If the drive belt is causing that much vibration, there is something that needs to be checked out sooner than later.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the belt vibration maybe? Mine vibrated at two specific speeds, same as yours. Two vibration speeds = belt (IMO). I bought the belt dampener from a sponsor on this site. Install was very easy. No vibration now.

Spyder Garage

Your new info helps a lot.... The Kenda's might or might NOT be - balanceable - they may be defective ( not un-common for Kenda's ), they may have broken internally.... If the PSI is equal in both tires @ 19 psi - if you still have windshield shake, take them to a car tire place and have them SPIN balanced..... If this doesn't work I think the tires are BAD for some reason!!! ……… What has been said about the Vacuum Hoses is valid - get them in SILICONE, they will last forever. If you want a recommendation about tires for Spyders - PM me ………. Mike