Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Question about F3 versus RT acceleration

I am considering getting my first Spyder after selling a Goldwing F6B due to its heavy weight. Does an F3 accelerate faster than an RT of the same year and engine size (rider weight and load, etc. being similar)?

Thanks.

Dave

Spyder Garage

I have them both w/1330 engine - both are great machines and accelerate great for me. Fun factor IMO - F3 wins hands down.
    Last edited by al0vely; 12-16-2018 at 07:56 PM.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I seem to remember that the F3 is geared lower for faster acceleration, I believe it was said that it has one more cog to the rear sprocket.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

You really have to take long test rides on both Spyders to see which fits YOUR riding preference. I was very impressed with the fun factor of the F3 but the Tupperware on it hits me right in the knees which, even with padded riding pants, made it less comfortable FOR ME than my RT.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

They are different ... but then how much difference are you looking for..? the test ryde will help the most as comfort, storage and distance is what most consider between them....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Having suffered through a test of acceleration: the F3 will eat the RT's lunch, and leave the dirty napkin stuck in the RT's storage...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slvrvalk1 View Post
    I am considering getting my first Spyder after selling a Goldwing F6B due to its heavy weight. Does an F3 accelerate faster than an RT of the same year and engine size (rider weight and load, etc. being similar)?

Thanks.

Dave
    The RT weighs more the rider sits higher than the F3 handling wise they are two different animals as suggested you need to ride them both for yourself to make up your mind.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Having suffered through a test of acceleration: the F3 will eat the RT's lunch, and leave the dirty napkin stuck in the RT's storage...
    Yeah.... unless the RT's had the ECU Xtreme Upgrade done, in which case the F3 won't even get to see the RT's lunch before said RT with it's lunch intact is already two States over & still accelerating away hard!!

But you're right, in stock condition & tune, any RT is pushing a whole lot more dirty air than an F3!! But even bog stock, it doesn't really matter if it's an RT or an F3, they'll still accelerate more'n fast enough to give you an ear to ear grin as you leave pretty much all the cages behind!

Take them both for a test ryde, and choose the one that suits YOU the most!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Statistically the F3 is at Least 2 seconds faster to 60 MPH- Maybe someone can give the exact 0-60 times for both?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ottawa-rider View Post
    I seem to remember that the F3 is geared lower for faster acceleration, I believe it was said that it has one more cog to the rear sprocket.
    Correct. The F3 is geared down via a larger rear sprocket, except it's 10 teeth, not 1. The F3L, however, has the same rear sprocket as the RT.

https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...ve-system-rear
    https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...ve-system-rear
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    The F3L, however, has the same rear sprocket as the RT.
    Unless you are lucky enough to get a 2016 F3L. That year model did not get the truck, but it does have the same size sprocket as the F3T , F3S, and F3.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

If acceleration is the goal... Ryker hands down! Lol. But I’d never get rid of my RT, that machine meets all my goals. I ride w F3’s and don’t have problems keeping up, BajaRon helped w that. The funny thing is, before I purchased my RT I called Can Am to ask the difference. I was told seating position is only difference, same machine. But reading comments above, looks like difference is much more than seating. Hope you love your choice as much as I do.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Spyder Garage

I rode an RT before buying the F3T, the seat of my pants couldn't tell the difference in acceleration. I wound up choosing the F3T only because the RT hurt me to sit on (thanks, arthritic hips!).
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

I often refer to an RT as a station wagon. The F3 is a couple hundred pounds lighter and some models do use a larger rear pulley that will help make it accellerate more quickly.

Then again, there are some of these RT station wagons that are no doubt sleepers, kind of like this video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OFp_-nprXAk

I used to call my RT a Station Wagon: when comparing it to a 2008 GS. I referred to that bike as a Mustang!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 12-18-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
    I rode an RT before buying the F3T, the seat of my pants couldn't tell the difference in acceleration. I wound up choosing the F3T only because the RT hurt me to sit on (thanks, arthritic hips!).
    Heard that!. Too many years working on concrete floors on a loading dock

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    You really have to take long test rides on both Spyders to see which fits YOUR riding preference. I was very impressed with the fun factor of the F3 but the Tupperware on it hits me right in the knees which, even with padded riding pants, made it less comfortable FOR ME than my RT.
    I agree. Part of the Tupperware on the F3 sticks out right where my knees are and it would be very uncomfortable in a ride of more than a few minutes. This may only affect tall people (I have a 34" inseam).

As for acceleration, why is it even important that the F3 may be a little faster than an RT? It's the ride that's fun, not the statistics. My bone-stock RT easily outpaces all the cars at intersections without even trying. On the highway, I can drop down a gear or two and pass easily. I can cruise easily at 80 and if I went much faster, I'd just get a speeding ticket. Sooooo ... what difference would a second or two of additional acceleration really make? Both the RT and F3 are great. Forget the statistics and buy whichever model fits you better and is more enjoyable in normal riding ... like Chupaca said, it's mostly about comfort, storage and distance.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

I was never one of those one second faster type persons. Fun to read about, but for me not going to make a difference on what I buy.

I look at the whole package not just one item of it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The F6B is what I consider the cruiser model of the Goldwing. The F3 is more like a cruiser model of Spyder than the RT. I came from a touring Goldwing to an RTL (touring) Spyder. My riding is mostly touring and I have the right bike for me. If your riding is mostly cruising then the F3 most likely will suit you better if it is comfortable for you. As far as acceleration is concerned, I will probably do an ECU modification when my warranty expires next May. I do this only to allow more spirited performance when pulling my trailer while touring. Otherwise, the stock RTL has more than enough acceleration to get the attention of those who flash blue lights..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I am the OP. I asked the question because I rode an older RT (2010) and it seemed sluggish. The tension in the throttle was much more than my F6B or the Ninja 1000 that I still own. It was not fun to ride. I know it has the smaller engine, and it may just have been this particular bike, but I wanted to know in general if the F3 is more spirited.

Spyder Garage

I am a Shriner and rode lots of Harley motorcycles. Rented and owned Harley trikes, converted and factory built. Nice shiny chrome plated log trucks. Now on my fourth Spyder RTL: all Corvettes with handlebars ��. Loved all of them. Shattered my right elbow last January so haven’t done much since but plan on a great 2019! MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU ��
    Replaced my Lamonster Certified RT Limited #1874 With a 2018 RTL.

Spyder Garage

I am the OP. I asked the question because I rode an older RT (2010) and it seemed sluggish. The tension in the throttle was much more than my F6B or the Ninja 1000 that I still own. It was not fun to ride. I know it has the smaller engine, and it may just have been this particular bike, but I wanted to know in general if the F3 is more spirited.
    First brp changed the throttle tension in later models. Much lighter. The 1330 is not sluggish. Its fairly quick. The F3 I think is a more spirited ride. I've had both. But comfort should be your main goal. Ride both and choose.
    Last edited by JP58; 12-18-2018 at 09:48 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I'd have to say that the difference in center of gravity and seating position makes the comparison pretty tough from a rider's seat point of view. In straightline acceleration I couldn't tell any difference. I feel a lot less outside roll in turns/corners from the F3T than I did the RT which means that I don't have a problem turning the F3T a lot harder than I did the RT right from the beginning. That makes the F3T feel more "spirited" to me. I don't recall any significant difference in throttle tension. My two wheeled background is mostly touring bikes (Victory Cross Country, GL1800, a couple of Electra Glides, Kawi Vaquero, Yamaha 2nd Gen Venture, GL1500, Kawi 1st Gen Concours)for the last 20 years but a mix of street bikes and a couple of dirt bikes before that, if it helps you see what experience my replies are based on.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

Not to sound like a jerk about this, but that comparison is not a good one. Typically, many that are into the V twin Spyders enjoy them for the higher rpm antics compared to the triple 1330. Those with the twins, tend to know they like to be wound up to really run, compared to the 1330 which is, in stock tuning, very smooth and mellow down low with a good pull, but also must move a lot more weight.

Saying that, you should truly compare a 2014 or newer or better still same year RT vs a F3.

Each models offered currently, has its own perks. Essentially, the power on the F3 and RT series is similar but the RT carries more weight. However, the RT is no slouch stock, and can improved upon. Same with the F3 or even an earlier twin.

Your deciding criteria should likely focus more on howthe vehicle appearance catches your eye, comfort, and ability to carry stuff. The v twin will get worse fuel mileage, but can be contended with if you chose that route.

Spyder Garage

Now I understand. You were riding an RT with a 998. They are actually a bit faster than the 1330 RTs IF YOU RUN THE RPMS up where they make power. 6000 and up is where they really shine. Much less low end torque than the 1330. An F3S will beat either of them. Especially if tuned.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I never found that to be true: the 1330 always had the power to run and hide from my 998.

It was all about a torque curve that made the power much more useable.
    My 998 would get to 95 quickly, and then just crawl up to 100
    The 1330 was just as quick to 95, but then kept right on truckin'!

I never saw anything more than 101 mph on the 998's speedometer.
    The 1330 showed my 109 on the GPS display (114 on the speedo...)
    The distance to speed in each case was pretty similar.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 12-19-2018 at 08:17 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black