Spyder Garage

Default looking for help getting spyders

my wife and I ride spyders in Canada and want to go to NZ in february and ride for a month . we would like to rent some bikes havent been able to find any.. does anyone know of any rentals? Otherwise we will have to buy and resell. Any suggestions would be welcome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you try looking on line ?

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

You might try contacting Fred Rau on Facebook. He leads motorcycle tours in New Zealand and he may have a Spyder in his fleet.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Little checking and I see there are 74 members in New Zealand. Maybe they will chime in and help out.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

PM sent.
    -artig
    -2016 blue Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    My blog with walks and rides

Spyder Garage

Sorry haven't been on this forum for a while and only just spotted this post.

There is JFK Powersports (https://www.jfks.co.nz/) in Auckland is worth contacting, I believe they are the dealer that rent Spyders to Fred Rau tours. Of course that only really works if your flying in and out of Auckland.

I was going to suggest Paradise Bike Rental as I'm sure they used to have a couple of Spyders in their fleet but just checked their site and it doesn't look like they have now.

In the South Island it may be worth checking with Timaru Can-am (https://www.timarucanam.co.nz/). They don't normally do hires but may be able to arrange something.

Happy to give some help on good routes, places to go etc in the South Island.

As your here in Feb you could always join in with the TT2000 (https://www.tt2000.org/) - that would be a very quick way to see most of the South Island:-) I'm doing it again this year.

Spyder Garage

yes not much luck yet

Spyder Garage

thanks for the response, we are pleasantly surprised at how nicely this site works. I just sent Fred a email.

Spyder Garage

thanks wonderful ideas. I tried JFK were not that helpful for quite awhile they offered to sell bikes for us if we buy some, they didnt have any. we will keep in touch as we firm up our plans

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by butterspy View Post
    thanks wonderful ideas. I tried JFK were not that helpful for quite awhile they offered to sell bikes for us if we buy some, they didnt have any. we will keep in touch as we firm up our plans
    That's a shame as I'd heard good things about JFK though I'd never used them myself. The dealers here don't keep much floor stock and Timaru have mentioned to me in the past that they find they re-sell any trade-ins very quickly so seldom have second hand Spyders around.

Spyder Garage

Mine will shortly be available from JFK. I'm riding it to Auckland tomorrow morning for them to sell on behalf. It's coming up to 3 years old, but has less than 9,000km on the clock. I'm just not riding it, and there's no point in having it sitting around in the garage on a battery tender forever. The sales guy at JFK (Haydon) didn't know it was possible to sell a Spyder to someone without a NZ Drivers License. However, it is possible as long as they have photo ID which includes name, signature, photo, date of birth. It also requires a NZ address. You just can't do the change of ownership online unless you have a NZ license. Insurance is not obligatory, but highly recommended.

I'm now back on 2 wheels, but with an automatic gearbox so I don't have to operate a clutch constantly.
    -artig

Spyder Garage

Wow that's good I'll call Hayden I have talked to him a few times now . From the pic it looks like an RT a2015 am I right

Spyder Garage

As my sig line says, it's a 2016 RT Limited. So it comes with GPS, sound, etc. Didn't you receive my PM, sent about a week ago?
    -artig

Spyder Garage

no I didn't what are u asking for the bike

Spyder Garage

I've sent another PM (Private Message). There should be a menu item "My PM's" near the top left of the screen. With a counter showing the number of unread PMs you have. Unless you have disabled PMs in your settings, in which case it should probably have let me know when I sent it. But it didn't.
    -artig

Spyder Garage

hi Arne i sent you an email a couple of weeks ago didn't get a reply not sure if i did something incorrect or not . I am new at this kind of communication. However i clicked on your walks and rides button, and was very interested in the rides . Do you have a book of rides with maps we can buy. Or is something like that available in NZ you could send info on. We had a friend put us on to that sort of thing in Arizona last year and it was very helpful. thanks Stan