Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Ryker Rally Edition has landed! It was pouring down rain so only took it for a little test ride so don't have much to say except I did get 2 keys and a cheap reversible screw driver and an owners manual. cueman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Not necessarily at all. A CVT tranny constantly changes the effective gear ratio. The tranny may not be at its highest available gear ratio at even 70. It may not be even be at the 8K R's redline at 100.
    That's not my experience at all.

I don't have any Can Am CVTs yet but the similar belt drive variator-type CVT on the 75 hp Aprilia Mana 850 v twin and probably just about every scooter today is in the highest ratio on a level surface at about 55 mph with a steady throttle. My MP3 400 was in the highest ratio at less than that.

If you accelerate it drops down and revs increase. I was asking for steady state, cruising figures, and they will be the same from one machine to another when you are maintaining a constant speed on relatively level ground.
    Aprilia Mana 850GT, 1988 BMW K75S, Piaggio MP3 400 (sold), Moto Guzzi Nevada 750 (modified), Puch (Sears Allstate SR175), 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    My Ryker Rally Edition has landed! It was pouring down rain so only took it for a little test ride so don't have much to say except I did get 2 keys and a cheap reversible screw driver and an owners manual. cueman
    Way to go cueman I am still waiting for mine to come in beginning to think my dealer is last one the list☹️

Spyder Garage

Congratulations!! You will love it!
    2019 Rally , Black on black

Spyder Garage

Ron went out on that 300 miler!! I think he kept right on riding down the dusty trail, no reports!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CTAC View Post
    150 miles on my Rally. Love everything about it accept the clunking of the drivetrain. Quick and nimble is exactly how I would describe it. A little squirrely until you get used to how a trike tracks down the highway. Had the real wheel re-torqued thinking the spline might be loose. However, that wasn't a solution. Maybe when the temps rise in the Spring, the amount gear clearance will reduce.
    The clunking of the drivetrain only happens when changing from reverse to forward, correct?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Ron went out on that 300 miler!! I think he kept right on riding down the dusty trail, no reports!
    I didn't do the 300 miles I was hoping for. Temps dropped another 10 degrees from the original forecast to around 30 degrees in some places along the route. We've had some snow as well so I knew there would be plenty of salt on the road even if it was dry. I just decided not to do that to my new Ryker. Call me a sissy, but that's the way it's gone down.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

From deceleration and from reverse to forward... An initial clunk (expected) then a lighter "pop" as you roll on the throttle
    2019 Rally , Black on black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CTAC View Post
    From deceleration and from reverse to forward... An initial clunk (expected) then a lighter "pop" as you roll on the throttle
    If you have the opportunity to test ride another one, that might tell you if it's normal or yours has something wrong. I have done that on a bike and found the other bike did the same thing, not saying it's right but it made me realize it was the way they made it. Thanks so much for sharing your feedback it is really appreciated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very common with a belted CVT tranny when shifting from forward to reverse or reverse to forward. The second clunk is generally when throttle is opened in order to move in either direction indicating that the centrifugal clutch or centrifugally controlled belt clamping shive's are activated. Normal and not an issue or problem.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L