Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default My new Ski adventure, cont'd.- days 8,9,10 & 11

The ski area opened some new terrain, on another of their Mtn's … the chair lift is a bit over One mi. long …. the vertical height is 1350 ft., sking under the lift is then a little over one mi. long ….. However that trail is mostly moguled ( ie large bumps )….. I usually take the windy side trails which are groomed and mostly flat ….. ( I do better on these ) … the length on these vary from 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 mi... I decided that timing my runs would give me some idea of my progress..... I'm now averaging 6 min on the longest trail.... On the 11th I skied about 23 mi. in 3 hrs., my thighs are getting stronger and I'm able to keep the ski's together most of the time. I'm concentrating on trying to Ski quieter ( less edging ). This is less strenuous and more relaxing. Back in the Day , I could ski WELL without giving much thought to what I needed to do to accomplish that..... right now I have to concentrate on what inputs I have to give the ski's to achieve - SMOOTH.... I'm not at my best Form yet but I'm getting there. I'm really glad I decided to return to this type of exercise, because I just won't exercise for the sake of exercising. … I'm sleeping better also ….. Because I had Frost-bite ( hands ) decades ago, they are very sensitive to Cold Temps. Even with heated gloves they start to hurt after about an hour..... The next time I go out I am going to put my " Hippo Hands " on my poles and see if this will help, I know they worked very well on my Snow-mobiles and the Spyder......Yes they will be ODD looking but, My " Looking Cool " days are long gone ……. I'm also thinking Mittens might be an answer - we'll see …… Latre …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Good to hear you are progressing nicely. New routes are always nice and change is always challenging... enjoy but still be careful and don't get over confident....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Easy does it....

99% of the people never advance beyond intermediate level. To become advanced or expert takes dedication determination and lots of time and money. Enjoy yourself on the groomed slopes and have fun and be safe. I don't see any double black diamond runs for you in this life time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I disagree that timing of your runs is any indication of "progress". Faster is not always better (unless you're trying out for the Olympic team).

My main criteria is "Am I having fun?". Skiing under control is a big part of that question, but skiing fast isn't (at least for me). If I'm having fun, great. I'll ski as long as my legs hold out. But if I'm not having fun (ie - poor snow conditions, poor lighting, too cold, etc.), I'll call it day and go home.
    Bert

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    I disagree that timing of your runs is any indication of "progress". Faster is not always better (unless you're trying out for the Olympic team).

My main criteria is "Am I having fun?". Skiing under control is a big part of that question, but skiing fast isn't (at least for me). If I'm having fun, great. I'll ski as long as my legs hold out. But if I'm not having fun (ie - poor snow conditions, poor lighting, too cold, etc.), I'll call it day and go home.
    Maybe this will clear up any issues you seem to have found …. #1.- I'm having a great time … # 2. I'm being very cautious in my ski runs …. #3.- I'm not sking in a tuck in order to maximize my speed. #4.- I am trying to look like Stein Erickson ( I know this dates me ) as opposed to Jean Claude Killy....#5.- just because I'm timing myself doesn't mean I'm in Race mode.....I remember what I could ski like 30yrs ago, and I'd be happy if I could achieve 50% of that level..... Thank you for your interest ………………..and to " 2dogs " above I agree Dbl. or even Sgl. Black Diamond trails are not in my future, they tend to be very heavily moguled, and those types of trails require far more strength than I want to exert. To me that type of slope is not FUN by any means - and I have nothing to prove anymore as far as my skiing ability goes.
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-16-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default The slower you go......

Making as many slow moving turns as possible on a nearly flat slope will hone your skills and improve your leg strength. (aka known as leg burners) Anyone can turn going fast, but more than 3/4's of the skiers cannot make slow deliberate controlled turns one after the other at very low speeds like Stein. Also most all skiers cannot make turns off the tops of moglus at high speed either. Stay in control have fun and enjoy the ride.

Spyder Garage

Have enjoyed skiing Mt Rose and will be off the Telluride for 4 days of skiing with my son and grand sons. We have the " chutes " at Rose ( yes they are avalanche chutes ) and Telluride has the " spiral stairs" Yes --- all double diamond. But I'll spend some time on the groomers also. Mt. Rose has a " silver Skiers" program for us seniors. Lessons two days a week ( free if you have a season pass) and they have emphasized deliberate controlled turns. I learn something new each class. The newer shaped skies need different techniques than our old GS skies.
    But there is talk of Meckela Schifern ( spelling?) sometimes when some of us want to cut some gates .

Lew L------- " I may ski like an old man----- just try to keep up."

PS: Mike, Did you look into the " skitrax" app ???? Fun, informative and free.
    Last edited by Lew L; 12-16-2018 at 12:07 AM.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default My new Ski adventure, cont'd.- days 8,9,10 & 11

Mike,

Great to hear of your return to your winter activities. Be safe and enjoy, you wouldn't be doing it if you didn't. Not on here as much any more, spending more time on the gold wing forums.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

You sound like your having a great time with this.

We went out shopping yesterday after a fresh snow. I was reminiscing about my cross country days. That was good stuff, but the heart now prevents that kind of exercise for me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Great fun and great exercise. When I went to ski school, we walked up and skied down for the first 3 weeks, to build those muscles. The next 3 weeks made it much better as control and fitness grew. Much like touring, it is not a race. On the days we could not ski, hit the gym. You will be glad you did.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    You sound like your having a great time with this.

We went out shopping yesterday after a fresh snow. I was reminiscing about my cross country days. That was good stuff, but the heart now prevents that kind of exercise for me.
    Well concerning the Heart, just walking is good for your heart. Even minor exercise will help. I also did the cross country thing, but right now where I am, it takes awhile and a few storms to get any type of base..... I am getting plenty of exercise with the Downhill thing …… Thanks ...Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well concerning the Heart, just walking is good for your heart. Even minor exercise will help. I also did the cross country thing, but right now where I am, it takes awhile and a few storms to get any type of base..... I am getting plenty of exercise with the Downhill thing …… Thanks ...Mike
    Lot of ptex parties go on this time of year. The smell of hot ptex is something you never forget.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Great fun and great exercise. When I went to ski school, we walked up and skied down for the first 3 weeks, to build those muscles. The next 3 weeks made it much better as control and fitness grew. Much like touring, it is not a race. On the days we could not ski, hit the gym. You will be glad you did.
    Thanks Joe, I have been watching " Carving video's " on you U-tube. There are dozens & dozens of them NOW , When I first got the idea that Skiing was something I wanted to try ( back in 1969 ) When I was 21 & I read a few books and magazine articles. I decided it was possible so I bought all the equipment ....It wasn't cheap even back then .... The new PLASTIC type boots were just starting to be offered and I got them too. I then hit the slopes ( more than literally ). To this day I have not taken a REAL lesson from a Pro ….. I did learn ( slowly ) and attained a level that included amateur racing ( very amateur )… At the Police dept. we formed a small team …. and went to organized races in the Northeast. I met some RCMP ( from Canada ) and raced them also ( we got whupped pretty often ). Some of them had been on their Natl. teams in their youth, prior to becoming police officers …. It was all good fun, and we could usually out-drink them , if that can be believed...… Compared to the first Three days of my " comeback ", to the last three have been impressive ( at least to me ) …… I'm just trying to get exercise in a Fun way and so far - so good ……. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am trying to look like Stein Erickson ( I know this dates me )
    Sure, I remember Stein Erickson from his "Ovaltine" commercials. (NOW I know I'm old....)
    Bert

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Sure, I remember Stein Erickson from his "Ovaltine" commercials. (NOW I know I'm old....)
    ...………………. Todays up-date, weather was a bit mild ( until I put my ski's on ) at the Ski area ….. It started Sleeting, so I only did 6 runs and went home ….. It's nice having a Season Pass and living 8.3 miles from the Ski Area ...…………… Mike

Spyder Garage

I remember Stein Erickson very well. He lived here in Utah and owned Sundance Ski Resort before Robert Redford bought it after Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid bought it. BYU offered ski school thru his school at the resort (called Timp Haven in those days) It was a good school,he set hi standards for his instructors. I am envious of you Mike. I don't think I could get down without breaking something.Keep it up, you encourage me into other things.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I remember Stein Erickson very well. He lived here in Utah and owned Sundance Ski Resort before Robert Redford bought it after Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid bought it. BYU offered ski school thru his school at the resort (called Timp Haven in those days) It was a good school,he set hi standards for his instructors. I am envious of you Mike. I don't think I could get down without breaking something.Keep it up, you encourage me into other things.
    Thanks ……….. no matter what one attempts, be sensible about your abilities...… On this new Ski thing I'm doing ( today was day 12 ) I'm progressing nicely …. But I remember DAY #1, and the difference in the level I've progressed to …. is almost Scary, on Day #1, I was very happy I only fell 6 times on that first run ( yes I was that bad )………. Mike

Spyder Garage

...………………. Todays up-date, weather was a bit mild ( until I put my ski's on ) at the Ski area ….. It started Sleeting, so I only did 6 runs and went home ….. It's nice having a Season Pass and living 8.3 miles from the Ski Area ...…………… Mike
    I've done the same thing. 12 minutes or so and I'm in the " locals " parking lot, where it's just a short walk to a little drop off and your skiing. ( no long walk though the parking lot.)

I'm off to meet up with my son and grandkids Wed morning for 3 days at Telluride Ski resort. They're a bit low on snow ( as is Mt. Rose) but we will have a great time no matter.

Lew L
    PS:

The pics I've seen of Stein Erickson where he has his skis so close together----- dosen't work well with new shaped skis. BUT---- I'm sure he could ski like that with the short radius sidecut of many modern skis
    Last edited by Lew L; 12-17-2018 at 08:43 PM. Reason: speeling
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    I've done the same thing. 12 minutes or so and I'm in the " locals " parking lot, where it's just a short walk to a little drop off and your skiing. ( no long walk though the parking lot.)

I'm off to meet up with my son and grandkids Wed morning for 3 days at Telluride Ski resort. They're a bit low on snow ( as is Mt. Rose) but we will have a great time no matter.

Lew L
    PS:

The pics I've seen of Stein Erickson where he has his skis so close together----- dosen't work well with new shaped skis. BUT---- I'm sure he could ski like that with the short radius sidecut of many modern skis
    Lew, now that I've made the switch to shorter Very shaped ski's, I find I have had to make adjustments to my ski style …. I used Stein Erickson as an example, only because His style was famous..... I find the new ski's work better if they aren't ( almost ) touching ( Parallel style ) …… My legs are lasting longer every day, I said in other post, back in the day I could ski (pretty well ) without giving much thought to Exactly what my BODY was doing at any given moment..... that un-fortunately is not the case now , but I'm getting closer to it, albeit slowly...….. Mike ………..PS I envy anyone who can ski DEEP POWDER , in the east we get so little of it to practice in. It boggles my mind thinking - you can't see your Ski's...……….Later