Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default How to run Headlights as Daylights - EU/AUS models

Maybe some of you will find this useful.
    There is a difference in models sold around the world. Here is what you need to know if you want to run Headlights as Daylights in EU and AUS
    & difference between stock lights and these new LED lights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll admit that is is pretty interesting.
    But you're showing folks how to circumvent the motor vehicle equipment laws in their Counties...
    Lights are a pretty easy thing to notice; once they've been altered
    If you make this change: learn to use some discretion...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

What Martin showed is not circumventing any laws in Australia Bob, but it is circumventing a cheap-arsed decision that someone made to put the EU/AU spec Spyder lo-beam lights at the absolutely lowest Aust Design Rule Compliant level permitted for aux lights (ie, down where almost everyone else in the world runs their fog-lights) so that no other road user in Aust is likely to be aware of the bloody things!!

Almost EVERY other motor-cycle/trike in this country (& I suspect, in yours too!) has their Lo & High beam lights at the same level as our Hi-beam lights, and there's no legal impediment to do this here or anywhere else that I can find, but it seems that some penny pincher at BRP decided it'd be cheaper just to use the North American fog-light wiring & positioning to run our Lo-beams instead of running an extra 20" of wire up to power the already existing 3 pin socket in the Hi-beam light plug & using a twin filament globe! As a result, one fairly significant SAFETY issue with Spyders here in Aust is that once you're within about 30 yards of pretty much any other road user, THEY CAN'T SEE OUR LO-BEAM LIGHTS!! So we become, for all intents & purposes, invisible to them once we get close enough to hit! And for those who might think that adding more lights that are this low, ie, any lower than the 'normal' headlight height, is making you more visible to others, sorry, that might work when you're a fair distance away, but there's a fair whack of evidence that shows once you are closer than about 30 yards, most other road users simply DO NOT SEE those lights because they are below the level they are watching &/or able to see!! All I can add is that it's a good thing the brakes on Spyders are so bloody good, otherwise I suspect that CanAm/BRP would be facing a whole lot of 'wrongful death thru negligence in design' suits!! Seemingly all to save a few bucks in wiring & a couple of Hi-lo filament globes!

Thanks Martin, maybe now more EU/AU Ryders will be able to see how easy it really is to make their Spyders safer & more visible by moving the lo-beam lights up closer to the same level as those on almost every other vehicle on the road!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This thread about lites …………… In the US, I'll bet you could run Lights with a power 5 X's what comes standard on your Spyder and pass 1000 LEO's and never get questioned or ticketed ….. as long as it's during DAY -LIGHT ….At night it's a different story …… ( an ex- leo ) …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Great job.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks .....

As always an interesting video with good information. Martin...keep them coming...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Light ?
    We have a 2013 RTL with all the posts about changing lights has me wondering. When we are out and about during the day we run both high beams and the fogs. At night we run the same until it bothers oncoming traffic. My question is this I beleive we have the stock lights and they sure seem bright enough to us. How would I tell if they are after market or not? Thanks Guys
    Dave
    2013 RT Limited
    Lamonster FBB with larger gripper pegs
    Value Accessories dah mount
    Custom Dynamics High Mount brake light
    BRP passenger arm rests

Spyder Garage

Bob Thanx for the comment.
    Most of the lights that are being sold in US are illegal here in EU... Or i will put it this way.
    All LED lighs that you will put on any bike or car that is not as a official part and approved by authorities - usually via official dealer, its illegal.

Am I doing it for the look? Yes.
    Am I doing it for the better visibility and therefore safety? Yes!!! Coz just those side lights - that are for you guys in US fog lights are not enough!!!!
    Signature light - even that one is not allowed in Europe. So I want to look good, have more light, and its all OK for traffic rules in US and most of other countries,and not for our old fashioned EU??? well, then i dont care... I hate stupid rules.

I am not encouraging anyone to do as I do... I just share my stories )))

Spyder Garage

I run fog and high beams all day ,have been doing this for years .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Thank you peter!!!! you are absolutely right!!!

Spyder Garage

I completely agree with you, why didn't BRP use twin filament bulbs in the high position like everyone else, on the RT, the bottom half of the mirrored reflector actually masks the beam from the bulb reducing the lighting power of the low beam. Like I have said many timesand I firmly believe this, these bikes are built for maximum price at minimum quality and were not designed or built by motocycle engineers or designers, but people who hadn't a clue about motorcycle design
    2014 RT Std
    Floor and Highway Boards
    50$ GPS connected to oem loom
    Trunk & Frunk Liners and lights
    Frunk and dashboard power outlets
    Front supension LEDS
    Cup holders
    Glovebox light
    Turn signal LEDs in mirrors
    12 volt coffee maker
    Passenger hangrip muffs
    Ignition lock light
    Windscreen wiper/ baguette holder

If I wasn't so cleverI wouldn't need to be so good looking.
    2014 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by agedbikeman View Post
    I completely agree with you, why didn't BRP use twin filament bulbs in the high position like everyone else, on the RT, the bottom half of the mirrored reflector actually masks the beam from the bulb reducing the lighting power of the low beam. Like I have said many timesand I firmly believe this, these bikes are built for maximum price at minimum quality and were not designed or built by motocycle engineers or designers, but people who hadn't a clue about motorcycle design
    Hmmm... I think you have are right but also i believe BRP know what they are doing, also lot of features is being great. The true is, that EU is not a market for them. So they try to invest as minimum as possible to get thru the specifics of our market. I think AUS is the same story.
    On other hand, if i am not talking about market specifications, few things can be done in more quality way i would say.
    M.

Spyder Garage

In Germany we use it only as HightBeam Lights. We change the stock Light to Osram NightBreaker.

Osram_f3.jpg

LED S7 H7:
    led_f3.jpg

Spyder Garage

Micha, yes all EU moels run the same config as you guys in germany... those osram lights are great as well, I hear about them, that few spyder ryder do use them.
    m.