Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery Tender Deal

I know there are multiple threads on the subject of battery tenders. I wanted to solicit opinions on this deal. I have Ryder insurance and received this offer from them. I wanted to get a battery tender and this one looks pretty solid.

The CTEK MXS 5.0 (Part No. 40-206) Battery Charger is a fully automatic, microprocessor controlled charger with a built-in temperature sensor and a unique combination of advanced charging modes. It is the most effective and versatile consumer charger ever made by CTEK. Alligator Clamps and Eyelets included. The MXS 5.0 is suitable for cars, trucks, motorcycles and snowmobiles. It is delivered with a 5-year warranty.
    The retail price of the charger is $89.99 (best price on Amazon $68). Now available exclusively to Rider Customers for $59.99 (33% discount)!

Any opinions? Thanks in advance.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

You can usually find a Battery Tender Jr. for around $39.95 from any cycle store or auto parts.

I have four in use currently. Never a glitch or a problem.

For the bikes, Put em on in November, take em off when ready to ride in March/April.

Bikes usually turn over the first attempt.

It has been recommended NOT to start and run the Spyder during the "big sleep." They should really be driven for a half hour or so to get to proper temperature and have the fluids moved around. Idleing does not do that.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

YOU CAN GET THEM AT AUTO ZONE FOR $39.95
    every day, look for sales also check Pep Boys
    make sure it says battery maintainer on it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IF I had to buy another one I'd get this one. https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...tery+tender+jr
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

My HD has been hooked up to a cheapo from wal mart for years now. Got the same thing for the spyder....
    2018 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

In my experience, this is the one. Have seen it save and rejuvenate batteries that failed even on Battery Tenders.

I have bought mine from Northern Tool. I use the cigarette lighter adapter and plug into the rear trunk outlet after swapping the fuse to the always hot position.

The Battery Minder has desulfation process that other do not and this is huge in making the battery last longer.

http://www.batteryminders.com/12-vol...esfulator-1500

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    .................The Battery Minder has desulfation process that other do not and this is huge in making the battery last longer.

http://www.batteryminders.com/12-vol...esfulator-1500
    I have been using the BatteryMinders for many years with great results.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Default Simple is best...

Unless you have multiple uses for all the features on the unit you are looking for it would be best to go with a simple one purpose unit. The more features one has the more that can go wrong. Many here that use the battery tender have it for their spyder during the winter storage some all the time. It is a nice unit and can do many things so your choice....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I agree with Flamewinger. Mine came with the bike with dealer installed pigtail. Gene's right too; keep it simple.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    I know there are multiple threads on the subject of battery tenders. I wanted to solicit opinions on this deal. I have Ryder insurance and received this offer from them. I wanted to get a battery tender and this one looks pretty solid.

The CTEK MXS 5.0 (Part No. 40-206) Battery Charger is a fully automatic, microprocessor controlled charger with a built-in temperature sensor and a unique combination of advanced charging modes. It is the most effective and versatile consumer charger ever made by CTEK. Alligator Clamps and Eyelets included. The MXS 5.0 is suitable for cars, trucks, motorcycles and snowmobiles. It is delivered with a 5-year warranty.
    The retail price of the charger is $89.99 (best price on Amazon $68). Now available exclusively to Rider Customers for $59.99 (33% discount)!

Any opinions? Thanks in advance.
    Jim
    I bought a Schumacher maintainer 5 years ago ….. it does what it's supposed to do for a heck of a lot less than what you are looking at …. I also bought a Fuse Block for $ 8.00, and it does what the $50.00 to $75.00 plus ones do...…. if you have an unlimited supply of cash ….I'm glad , but I don't so I buy the minimum needed to accomplish the task desired ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

never heard of CTEK ?? Have heard of and use Battery Tender Jr. less than 1/2 the money you're talking about.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    never heard of CTEK ?? Have heard of and use Battery Tender Jr. less than 1/2 the money you're talking about.
    I agree ..I have 8 Battery Tender Jr.s on everything from lawn tractor to motorhome and 6 bikes..Never had a problem in 25 yrs of using them work great!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Battery Minder has desulfation process that other do not and this is huge in making the battery last longer.
    In a land far away and a time long ago........I was convinced that stretching your battery life as long as possible was the way to go.

After having things not start while FAR away from home, I thought maybe that really wasn't a good policy to follow.
    After having one battery fail so bad that it couldn't be jumped, I changed my mind and now replace batteries at the first sign of weakness.

The model maintainer you are asking about should be a very good one but for motorcycle use, I think it is overkill and the ones priced around $25-$35 are plenty good enough.
    If you will be using it on other stuff too.......then go for it.
    It might be worth the extra money for a larger battery with heavier use.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    never heard of CTEK ??
    They make good stuff.

But don't confuse that with Cen-Tek, which is cheap junk from Harbor Freight.

Spyder Garage

Interesting and informative thread. I have always been a bit intrigued by all the different battery chargers/maintainers out there. Many are obviously the same product rebranded. And that is to be expected. You can spend a lot of money on one of these. I've been through my share of cheap, middle of the road and expensive wiz/bang units. Some did well. Some very disappointing.

I've got a good number of batteries to maintain. From ATV's to motorcycles to farm equipment and my F-250 diesel truck. I've got at least 2 batteries that are on their way out right now. So I have been looking for a charger/maintainer that also has a 'Recovery', desulfation cycle. Not something that everyone wants. But can actually resurrect some batteries and will definitely extend the life of most any battery, if the unit does what it claims. It is well worth the additional cost for another year or 2 of battery life.

After doing a bit of research I have decided to purchase the BatteryMINDer 2012 unit. I'm going on customer and other reviews so I cannot personally recommend this one yet. But it does sound promising. We'll see. I did find it for less here. With free shipping and no tax, it was the best deal I could find. https://www.batterymart.com/p-2012-b...p-charger.html

I will come back after attempting to resuscitate the 2 batteries that, as of now, need to be replaced. If it even brings 1 of them back it will have paid for itself.

Update;
    Just got notification from this vendor that they are out of stock and will not be able to ship this item until mid January. Good price... but I need it sooner. Back to the drawing board...
    Last edited by BajaRon; 12-13-2018 at 12:27 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wilpir View Post
    I agree ..I have 8 Battery Tender Jr.s on everything from lawn tractor to motorhome and 6 bikes..Never had a problem in 25 yrs of using them work great!!!
    Yup!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...a-489534942447
    I have had this Black & Decker on the F3 and Jet Ski for 3 years -Simple- 2 AMP- Waterproof- Etc. Why pay more?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I've had a Ctek since 2012 with no problems.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wilpir View Post
    I also have 8 in use. Extended the life of my tractor battery to 17 years. Never paid more than $25 on Amazon
    Gary
    2017 RTL Asphalt Gray Metalic
    1987 BMW K75s

Spyder Garage

Battery Tender Jr. (brand name) on Amazon prime for $19.95. I have about a half dozen battery tenders around. Some 6 Volt some 12 Volt Jr.s and Seniors. Great company and great product. (6 volt for Honda collectable M/C's)

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    In a land far away and a time long ago........I was convinced that stretching your battery life as long as possible was the way to go.

After having things not start while FAR away from home, I thought maybe that really wasn't a good policy to follow.
    After having one battery fail so bad that it couldn't be jumped, I changed my mind and now replace batteries at the first sign of weakness.

The model maintainer you are asking about should be a very good one but for motorcycle use, I think it is overkill and the ones priced around $25-$35 are plenty good enough.
    If you will be using it on other stuff too.......then go for it.
    It might be worth the extra money for a larger battery with heavier use.
    Paid $39 for mine. Overkill, maybe, but has also been used on car batteries. Florida is hard on batteries. Cold is also, yes, if in doubt replace the battery. Ours is at 5 years, seldom gets sluggish, been on the Battery Minder 99.9% of the time when parked at home. Considering replacing the battery in early 2019, may use the old one for trailer lighting.

Spyder Garage

I have 3 Everstart Battery Companion 1.5 amp trickle charger/maintainer from Wallmart, a 2 amp Schumacher maintainer, a Bike Master 2 amp charger/maintainer and a 10, 6 & 2 amp Schumacher charger/maintainer for the "big" batteries on the RV or cars. The 3 Everstart units came with a set of clamps and 2 sets of leads for direct to battery connection. 4 bikes/trikes, a lawnmower and the RV battery all laid up for the winter. But I average 5 to 7 years on the motorcycle batteries keeping them properly maintained.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cold is also,
    Actually it is NOT.
    Being cold will slow down the chemical aging process.
    It will also reduce the capacity some while it IS cold.....but it should bounce back when warmed up.

It is a common mis-conception that cold is bad for batteries because one that is weak and worn out already will fail to have enough capacity when it gets cold.

Cold does not make batteries GO bad, it just points out ones that are already weak.

Spyder Garage

A Deltran Battery Tender Jr. is the only battery maintainer you will ever need.

Spyder Garage

Lowes has the I've had for 3 years Schumacher SPF3 for $34.99.
    It has digital read out, desulfates and has a hook to hang it on the handle bar.
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase