Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have had issues with my Brand new Battery on my brand new 2014 Spyer RT from day one. ( it actually failed the day I bought it ) ... Because there is no way you can predict when your battery is going to DIE ( with 100% accuracy ) I bought a mini Lithium jumper device …. that was two years ago ,,, I haven't had to use it for me … but have helped others …. I have a brand new ( un-filled Yuasa in the basement ) that I will activate if my battery finally dies …. that could be this Spring or 5 years from now. …. When that occurs I will fill and charge my new one ….. JMHO …. Mike
    Mmmmmm? My Yuasa never needs filling it is sealed. Yes it is the correct one (OEM). It is a sealed one. I always put in a new battery every 3-4 years here in the old pueblo. The heat kills them quickly. Also I do not wait until the batterie gives me it's last ounce of life. That's when you are looking for problems.

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 12-13-2018 at 10:42 AM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Mmmmmm? My Yuasa never needs filling it is sealed. Yes it is the correct one (OEM). It is a sealed one. I always put in a new battery every 3-4 years here in the old pueblo. The heat kills them quickly. Also I do not wait until the batterie gives me it's last ounce of life. That's when you are looking for problems.

Jack
    Good on you Jack, I'm very happy that you support the Battery industry...… My best friend is a Master mechanic with 55 yrs. experience, He buys " UNFILLED - DRY batteries " when ever possible..... He generally keeps them for 10 plus years …. If He's wrong on this …. well then so am I.... For those who can't follow the directions on how to properly charge a new battery - well then I highly recommend buying one that eliminates human error..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was thinking the same thing.
    I carry my AAA insurance card, my cell and credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    A good idea for some, but I am not one of them.

Five Spyders and 145,000 miles over 8 years. Have not needed a jump start once.

Space is a premium for me.

Spyder Garage

I have one, it stays in my saddlebag. I have used it many times to start my Spyder (yesterday as a matter of fact. Also used it several times to jump start my partners 2018 Goldwing when he forgot to turn it off). Today I ordered a new battery for my Spyder as it is going on 3 years old and is having a really tough time with the cold temps, even after keeping on a trickle charger.
    2016 RTL , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Yes - Purchased a Rescue Pak+ two years ago. Had to jump our 2014 RT at an event. Later Jumped started an Audi in Costco's parking lot. It was fun when I pulled it out to jump his car an he said "That's going to start my car!" I said yep and it started. He than told me "I'm getting one of those!!"
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Good on you Jack, I'm very happy that you support the Battery industry...… My best friend is a Master mechanic with 55 yrs. experience, He buys " UNFILLED - DRY batteries " when ever possible..... He generally keeps them for 10 plus years …. If He's wrong on this …. well then so am I.... For those who can't follow the directions on how to properly charge a new battery - well then I highly recommend buying one that eliminates human error..... Mike
    Nothing wrong with that thinking Mike. Here in Tucson most all batteries are toast after 3-4 years due to the extreme heat. Just a fact of life. I wish it were not so. Batteries in Seattle lasted me 8-10 years but then again it never got to be 120* in the shade there. Thank God!
    Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

About 7 or 8 years ago on our yearly Minnesota trip the battery (1800 Goldwing Champion trike at the time) seemed to be getting weaker as the trip home went on. Finally wouldn't start at a gas stop in Osceola, IA, and nobody seemed to have cables. Finally got a jump and didn't shut down the trike for the next 2 gas stops until we got home. A few weeks later at Bikes, Blues and BBQ we came across the first compact lithium booster we had seen. Gloria immediately bought one for the bike, and we got another for the car later.
    For the Spyder and the other bikes we now have a Whistler SafeStart for smaller engines, like motorcycles. It is about the size of 2 of my Galaxy 7 phones stacked on top of each other. Both bikes and both trikes have SAE pigtail for battery charger/maintainer, on the RTL it is in the frunk behind the zip in liner. (Pic below) I made a connection to hook up the jump starter from an extra maintainer pigtail.so I don't have to remove covers, seats and such to use the jump starter. I put on some replacement battery posts on the ring terminals to hook the jump box clamps, and switched the black and red wire so the colors match when plugging it in. I covered the nuts on the terminals with a section of shrink wrap to keep the terminals apart when using the jump box. Tried it on the Harley and it worked well (Another pic below)
    Pigtail jump adapter:jumper adapter.jpg
    Pigtail in frunk to battery behind manual:Spyder powerblock 2.jpg
    Last edited by ozarkryder; 12-13-2018 at 10:08 PM.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

I have a small booster pack ,if needed will plug into cord for the GPS . Also have a small compressor and plug kit ,which i have used .
    Better safe than sorry .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Five Spyders and 145,000 miles over 8 years.
    That's impressive considering you live in Alaska. You should get a reward from BRP, maybe even sponsorship! I suppose you ride ski-doos in the winter.
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When he rides: he likes to sing this song :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5sKl_01eU8
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ludwig12of45 View Post
    I just ordered the rugged geek rg1000 saftey plus, which comes with an air compressor too. I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. I don't have it but will probably post an update once it arrives.

Plus I can help others, and easily move it to another vehicle if I'm going on a road trip.

Mike
    Mike -- has yours arrived yet? Mine arrived yesterday, and I'm happily surprised/impressed. Thankfully haven't had occasion to jump start anyone yet, but I've already used the air compressor to top off my tires and get them back to the proper pressure. We don't have a garage and space is at a premium, so being able to address tire pressures from our starting point (vs. ryding to the nearest full service station) is very handy. Thanks again to everyone for their input on this topic.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkryder View Post
    Both bikes and both trikes have SAE pigtail for battery charger/maintainer, on the RTL it is in the frunk behind the zip in liner. (Pic below) I made a connection to hook up the jump starter from an extra maintainer pigtail.so I don't have to remove covers, seats and such to use the jump starter. I put on some replacement battery posts on the ring terminals to hook the jump box clamps, and switched the black and red wire so the colors match when plugging it in. I covered the nuts on the terminals with a section of shrink wrap to keep the terminals apart when using the jump box. Tried it on the Harley and it worked well (Another pic below)
    Pigtail jump adapter:jumper adapter.jpg
    Pigtail in frunk to battery behind manual:Spyder powerblock 2.jpg
    Considering the size of the wires in the pigtails and the current draw of the starter you have an exceedingly high risk of melting the pigtail wires if you jump the bike when its battery is way low. There's a reason why battery cables are such heavy wires. It's take heavy wire to carry heavy starting current. If you plug your jump battery to the bike and let it sit for 20 or 30 minutes you may charge the bike battery enough to avoid melting the pigtail wires.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I Have carried Lamonts Rugged Geek in my frunk for about a year. Recharged it once, and have started three cars (neighbors, and lady in store parking lot) but as of now not needed for our Spyders....my wife says I have too many gadgets

That's what they ALL say

Al in Kazoo
    Last edited by IGETAROUND; 12-16-2018 at 07:29 AM.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Yes,my battery is 5 years old 2013 sts
    2013 sts , Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

I keep the NOCO GB40 in each vehicle & 2 wheeler, NOCO GB150 in the truck. Never needed either for myself as of yet - but glad I have it if the time comes.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Considering the size of the wires in the pigtails and the current draw of the starter you have an exceedingly high risk of melting the pigtail wires if you jump the bike when its battery is way low. There's a reason why battery cables are such heavy wires. It's take heavy wire to carry heavy starting current. If you plug your jump battery to the bike and let it sit for 20 or 30 minutes you may charge the bike battery enough to avoid melting the pigtail wires.
    We only use this set up with the jump box starter, not with a jump with from cables. We have had Whistler Lithium Ion based Jump & Go, and they were replaced by Whistler after the batteries swelled up with their new Lithium Polymer version called "Mighty", and on the bike we have a smaller one by the same company called a "Safe Start", now redesigned and branded as "Mini" made especially for smaller engines like motorcycles. In both, and on the newer versions of other brands of jump boxes, the microprocessor in the unit limits the output to about 6 seconds of cranking then a 2 - 3 minutes of cool-down time. This protects the Lithium battery from discharging too quickly causing overheating (and the dreaded battery swelling) and it also keeps the wires from overheating or melting.
    Last edited by ozarkryder; 12-16-2018 at 03:24 PM.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue