Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50

Thread: RYKER MPG

  1. #1
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Crosby,Texas
    Posts
    189
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default RYKER MPG

    Anyone know what the gas mileage might be on the Ryker. Has the dealer put up any numbers.

  2. #2
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Johnson, Vermont
    Posts
    538
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    In another post Cruzer Joe said 40mpg. I seem to remember watching a video and they calculated the mileage to be about 35mpg. So, I'd guess in the 35-40mpg range for the 900

  3. #3
    Consumer Advocate akspyderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Posts
    33,019
    Spyder Garage
    6

    Default

    With the engine size and weight of the Ryker, I think 40 is realistic. It's is going to take some field testing once the machines get out and about.

    I am guessing lower mileage is going to prevail--due to the "fun" factor--and the tendency to have that throttle busy most of the time.

    Time will tell.

    Currently Owned: 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium), 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow), 2015 Vulcan 900 LTD

    Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) Pictures of 2008 and 2009 Spyders are in Alaska Albums 2009 and 2010.
    5 Spyders, 10 years, 145,375 miles


  4. #4
    Hall Monitor Bob Denman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Grahamsville, NY
    Posts
    91,719
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Let's wait until there are some Ryker owners posting about what their fuel mileage is...
    The Dealers will say ANYTHIMG: in order to get you to sign on the dotted line.
    Help is on the way. Until then...

  5. #5
    Active Member Cobwebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    35
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Let's wait until there are some Ryker owners posting about what their fuel mileage is...
    The Dealers will say ANYTHIMG: in order to get you to sign on the dotted line.
    Mine has already given me the speech about not believing anything you read on the internet bla bla bla...didn't have the heart to tell him I found his website there.

    In theory you would think a cvt would give higher mileage by it's very design and operation but yeah unknown variables need a run first.

  6. #6
    Very Active Member Sarge707's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,250
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Gotta remember- Even though the 900 is about 2/3ds of the 1330 it Revs a lot higher to keep the same speed - probably 1,000-1,500 rpms higher for each speed?
    2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

    Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

  7. #7
    Hall Monitor Bob Denman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Grahamsville, NY
    Posts
    91,719
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    We're also not too sure about how aerodynamics will play into the equation...

    But nobody ever lies on the Internet!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bufTna0WArc
    Help is on the way. Until then...

  8. #8
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    208
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I'm sure it will be no different than any other Spyder. It will depend on how you ride. I get better mileage on my GS riding for a long cruise on the highway, versus what I get riding back and forth to work. I don't really worry about what MPG I get, just put gas in it when the light comes on. I'm sure once they start appearing on the road, there will be many posts about what MPG's everyone gets, and who gets more or less. LOL

  9. #9
    Very Active Member jcthorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    4,694
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Some Spyders just get better mileage than others. My wife is a much more disciplined rider than I, yet I consistently get 2 or more mpg than her. When we travel together on longer trips, filling up together, she always needs about a half gallon more gas than I do to fill.

    That said, milage varies between 30 and 45. The Ryker will be in the same range. Milage will not be a decision point for purchase.

    Blue Flame Spyder F3-S

  10. #10
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Copperhill, Tennessee
    Posts
    173
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    100% agree.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Copperhill, Tennessee

  11. #11
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    32
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Mileage won't be a decision maker for me, but if it gets excellent gas mileage it will just be more icing on the cake...and I have a sweet tooth!

  12. #12
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    118
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Anyone that has already been blessed with having a Ryker had the opportunity to check the fuel mileage?

  13. #13
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Crosby,Texas
    Posts
    189
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaspeed View Post
    Anyone that has already been blessed with having a Ryker had the opportunity to check the fuel mileage?
    800 miles on the 900ace 30 mpg

  14. #14
    Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Posts
    93
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Was that all uphill???

  15. #15
    SpyderLovers Sponsor BajaRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greeneville, TN
    Posts
    10,030
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Most people get wildly varying mileage numbers out of their Spyder. Some will then quote to you the highest reading they got as though it is what they always get. There are so many variables that a person has to be pretty diligent to get a reliable figure. The biggest variable is created by the small fuel tank. And it can be difficult to fill to the same point each time. Add to this that most get fuel long before they are on empty and you have a good deal of potential for an incorrect reading.

    I do not seem to be getting great mileage out of my Rally. But it is way too soon to tell.
    Only SLOW people have to leave on time...





  16. #16
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Crosby,Texas
    Posts
    189
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Most people get wildly varying mileage numbers out of their Spyder. Some will then quote to you the highest reading they got as though it is what they always get. There are so many variables that a person has to be pretty diligent to get a reliable figure. The biggest variable is created by the small fuel tank. And it can be difficult to fill to the same point each time. Add to this that most get fuel long before they are on empty and you have a good deal of potential for an incorrect reading.

    I do not seem to be getting great mileage out of my Rally. But it is way too soon to tell.
    My mileage is off of gallons put in tank and miles ridden, I do not look at gas gauge. I always fill to top. Small tank or large tank full is full.

  17. #17
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Crosby,Texas
    Posts
    189
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderUSA View Post
    Was that all uphill???
    Houston Texas not many Hill. This is not school zone ridding. I can't ride 55

  18. #18
    Very Active Member Sarge707's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,250
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    The Ryker is 0nly a 900 and Most have said turns around 5500 rpm at 60 mph while my F3 is about 3700? at 60 so the Higher Rpms are compensating quite a bit for the smaller motor. I can't see how its going to handle better than my F3 which I will ride Saturday and New Years Day as its near 50 both days!!! Ye Ha
    2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

    Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

  19. #19
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    118
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Sounds like the Ryker will be getting about the same as the 990 Spyders. I know that some of you fuel mileage doesn't matter but to others like me it does matter. I understand that it depends on so many different things however we are able to get an idea of what it's getting. As gvcntx is thinking around 30 and BajaRon doesn't seem to think it's real good tells me a lot especially with BajaRon said as he is riding his in eco mode. I have been having a hard time deciding to purchase a Ryker or F3. I can not get my mind rapped around only getting 30. Yes it's a mind set and I'm not getting over it. If anyone wants to tell me what they think I'm very open to suggestions between the F3 and Ryker

  20. #20
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Oakley Utah & Hurricane, Utah
    Posts
    4,715
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gvcntx View Post
    Anyone know what the gas mileage might be on the Ryker. Has the dealer put up any numbers.
    Do you mean the manufacturer? Dealers don't usually perform independent testing.

    2014 RTL Magnesium & 2014 RTL Cognac
    Northern Utah in summer; Southern Utah in winter

  21. #21
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Crosby,Texas
    Posts
    189
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaspeed View Post
    Sounds like the Ryker will be getting about the same as the 990 Spyders. I know that some of you fuel mileage doesn't matter but to others like me it does matter. I understand that it depends on so many different things however we are able to get an idea of what it's getting. As gvcntx is thinking around 30 and BajaRon doesn't seem to think it's real good tells me a lot especially with BajaRon said as he is riding his in eco mode. I have been having a hard time deciding to purchase a Ryker or F3. I can not get my mode rapped around only getting 30. Yes it's a mind set and I'm not getting over it. If anyone wants to tell me what they think I'm very open to suggestions between the F3 and Ryker
    If gas mileage matters F3 is the highest. On the Ryker out of 6 fill ups: 29.6-28.3-28.3-30.2-29.2-29.2 as you can see I not just guessing. I think it's the high RPMs.

  22. #22
    SpyderLovers Sponsor BajaRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greeneville, TN
    Posts
    10,030
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    The Ryker is new and everyone who owns one is just getting them broken in. The Ryker is pretty light with just a 900 cc motor. Theoretically it should get better mileage. But it's just too early to tell. The Ryker is so much fun it's hard to stay off of the throttle. Plus it really needs to get speed changes to break it in right. None of which lends itself to good mileage.

    Once things settle down and someone takes a good highway trip we will get better numbers.
    Only SLOW people have to leave on time...





  23. #23
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    118
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Thank you two Ryker owners for your feed back and I do understand what each of you are saying. I'm sure the Ryker is absolutely fun which is something I would enjoy and I'm sure the F3T would also be fun just not as hot rod fun as the Ryker. Unfortunately for me I can only afford one of them and I need it to accomplish the fun factor along with trips as I live in the country and I will travel occasionally. Our local dealer has a Ryker 900 and a F3T I'm going to be test riding back to back tomorrow. Which should help me make my decision. The cost difference between the Ryker Rally and F3T would give me a lot of gas money if I got the Ryker Rally and we do have a lot of dirt roads in Idaho.

  24. #24
    Active Member tibadoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Gladys, VA
    Posts
    148
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gvcntx View Post
    If gas mileage matters F3 is the highest. On the Ryker out of 6 fill ups: 29.6-28.3-28.3-30.2-29.2-29.2 as you can see I not just guessing. I think it's the high RPMs.
    Thanks for relaying your MPG info. Also agree the high RPM's will keep it in the ballpark compared to a F3.
    ----
    Joe

  25. #25
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Durham,Maine
    Posts
    208
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The Ryker is new and everyone who owns one is just getting them broken in. The Ryker is pretty light with just a 900 cc motor. Theoretically it should get better mileage. But it's just too early to tell. The Ryker is so much fun it's hard to stay off of the throttle. Plus it really needs to get speed changes to break it in right. None of which lends itself to good mileage.

    Once things settle down and someone takes a good highway trip we will get better numbers.
    So, what your telling us Ron, is you haven't been able to stay out of it to tell us the answer to the question!! Rock on big guy!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •