Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default "Scuffing" noise coming from left wheel

Hey,
    I'm a new owner, and my left wheel keeps making a "scuffing" noise when rotating between 12-21 mph. Anything slower it's barely noticeable and same for anything faster. I don't know if I have break rub or not. I do not see any shiny spots or gouges on the disc. I have less than 1k on the Spyder. The mechs say there is a break in period...I don't think so...at least not with breaks. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA
    2018 RT Ltd. , Champagne

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, welcome 👍

Frist off Welcome to the site... next, your profile says nothing of the model we are talking about but would be helpful to know.n Nevertheless... if you can raise the wheels and spin them to find which one it is then tap on the caliper to see if the pads are sticking. You can also check the runout on the disc to see if it is warped. Now if you are still in the break-in period take it to them and have them check it.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Post #2 has some good advice.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have 2018 RT Spyder Ltd. and sorry for that oversight; I'm still trying figure this site out. I'll see if I can do that and post my findings here. It wasn't that noticeable until I got passed 250 miles or so. So I have no idea...
    2018 RT Ltd. , Champagne

Spyder Garage

Now that you mention it, the left wheel on my ‘17 F3 Limited makes the same sound. I spun wheel by hand when I had it raised to replace Sway Bar. Same sound but not a grinding feeling. Wrote it off as a slightly warped rotor but now that you have it too, not so sure. I did not mention at first service. Pls let us know if you learn anything and i’ll do the same. Btw I now has 4500 miles on it.
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents

Spyder Garage

is there any rub markers on the tire itself ? I wonder if the clearance of the fender might be the cause ? ( if tires are a little over pressure ? )

Spyder Garage

I am thinking the tire is fatter when slower motion , as the spin rolls on the tire will go a little slimmer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Frist off Welcome to the site... next, your profile says nothing of the model we are talking about but would be helpful to know.n Nevertheless... if you can raise the wheels and spin them to find which one it is then tap on the caliper to see if the pads are sticking. You can also check the runout on the disc to see if it is warped. Now if you are still in the break-in period take it to them and have them check it.
    Good idea. Try that and let us know.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Brake pads slightly rubbing the disc would be my bet. Every vehicle I own does it and some are more noticeable than others. Unlike my truck and my other bikes the Spyders front wheels are right out at an angle where you can see and hear everything. I can't hear it on my two wheeled bikes when riding, but when I spin the wheel while parked I hear it. If worried have the dealer check it out (I would) but I'm betting they will say normal.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Sticking pads is also my suggestion. It's very common and nothing to worry about other than annoying. Most likely once fully bedded in, it'll go away.

If it bothers you it's never a bad idea to carefully apply some caliper grease to the pads. Making ABSOLUTELY certain no grease gets on the pads themselves. There's plenty of info on the web about how to do it.

Even though it's a new bike I would seriously doubt you could make a warranty claim on this, since technically it would not be defective if it's just a sticking pad.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Wheel Noise

All very helpful Options/Tips. What have you decided to do?
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Take it to the dealership and let them figure it out. It's a warranty issue. Tell them you want to know exactly what they did to fix the problem.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    If it bothers you it's never a bad idea to carefully apply some caliper grease to the pads. Making ABSOLUTELY certain no grease gets on the pads themselves.
    Could you clarify what you mean by this. Seems self-contradictory.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I believe he means carefully apply a very thin coat of brake pad grease to the backs of the pads between the pad and shim, or between pad and caliper piston(s) if there are no shims, being extremely careful to get NO grease on the pads themselves.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thin coating of brake grease ON THE REAR of the pads will help eliminate brake squeal, but does nothing for the pads rubbing the disc. The rubbing is caused when the pad is not backing away from the disc completely. This is not really a defect as long as it is slight contact and not actually impeding the wheels operation. When you release the brake the sealing o-rings in the caliper will pull the brake piston back slightly which allows the pad to release it's grip on the disc. As you know the pads sit in the calipers loosely and sometimes they don't contact the disc and sometimes they do. When they do you may hear the slight rubbing noise that many of us hear. Once again, not really a defect, but if the pads are getting hot or if the noise concerns you get it checked out. The braking system on our Spyders really is a very simple system even with the ABS tossed into the mix.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Thin coating of brake grease ON THE REAR of the pads will help eliminate brake squeal, but does nothing for the pads rubbing the disc. The rubbing is caused when the pad is not backing away from the disc completely. This is not really a defect as long as it is slight contact and not actually impeding the wheels operation. When you release the brake the sealing o-rings in the caliper will pull the brake piston back slightly which allows the pad to release it's grip on the disc. As you know the pads sit in the calipers loosely and sometimes they don't contact the disc and sometimes they do. When they do you may hear the slight rubbing noise that many of us hear. Once again, not really a defect, but if the pads are getting hot or if the noise concerns you get it checked out. The braking system on our Spyders really is a very simple system even with the ABS tossed into the mix.
    My understanding is that disc brake pads are supposed to be slightly rubbing the disc, to both keep the assembly clean and to keep it warmed up ready to engage. But, that might be just old school nonsense, I don't know.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I've had this same issue since mine was new in 2015(RTS). I've got about 24k on it now and hasn't caused any problems, its just annoying.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

I’m taking it in today to see what they can do or what they say. It seems under cold weather I get a “squeak” I guess it’s from cold discs. This is all new to me so I’m taking everything in stride and with a open mind. Luckily, in about a week they will be replacing the whole left wheel. It had a chip on it upon delivery and BRP said they will take care of it. So perhaps when the wheel is off they will tinker with the breaks. I sincerely hope it doesn’t lead to premature break wear. Thanks again everybody for all the friendly insight and tips.
    2018 RT Ltd. , Champagne

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Wheel Noise

Thanks for the Update. I hope that you can get this fixed but as others have mentioned this may be normal.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    My understanding is that disc brake pads are supposed to be slightly rubbing the disc, to both keep the assembly clean and to keep it warmed up ready to engage. But, that might be just old school nonsense, I don't know.
    The "clean" part is true. Rubbing should be light enough not to be causing heat to build in the disc.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Possibly a slightly warped rotor. Easy enough to check. Remove wheel, caliper, rotor. Lay rotor on glass. A mirror, a tabletop, whatever. Look for gaps. If rotor is ok, spread the pads a bit when putting caliper back on. Spin wheel. If no noise, apply the brakes. Spin wheel. Listen for noise. A tiny drag is ok.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BioAbyssal View Post
    Hey,
    I'm a new owner, and my left wheel keeps making a "scuffing" noise when rotating between 12-21 mph. Anything slower it's barely noticeable and same for anything faster. I don't know if I have break rub or not. I do not see any shiny spots or gouges on the disc. I have less than 1k on the Spyder. The mechs say there is a break in period...I don't think so...at least not with breaks. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA
    Maybe get your bike up to the speed where the noise is most prominent and hold that speed (12-21 MPH) and slightly step on your brake pedal and see if you still hear the noise. At least you’ll know what the noise is... or isn’t.
    2012 RT , Pure Magnesium Metalic

Spyder Garage

The mechanic have said they don’t see anything out of the ordinary. Not that helpful, but did say they are going to talk with BRP to see what is “normal” and if it something warranty can take care of. I’m now starting to get squeaky breaks when I apply them. I have no idea. It could be the cold weather. Nevertheless, the machine is still amazing to “pilot” aside from the scuffing and now squeaking. I have other parts due soon, so once those come in they said they will dig deeper into it since it will have to stay he night or two.
    2018 RT Ltd. , Champagne

Spyder Garage

I think most of us have the cold squeaky brakes - I do! I had a Suzuki Hayabusa do this due to an accident and it became warped enough to spread the pads open causes excessive brake lever movement as if I was reset the brakes pads - replaced rotor and all was good.
    Last edited by bluewoo; 12-15-2018 at 06:02 PM.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Update: So far from has been said the “Scuffing” noise on the left side is normal. Honestly, I doubt that. I think the mechs rather not deal with it. In any case, I now also have to get a new exhaust out on because the paint has flacked off and my cluster has bubbles.
    2018 RT Ltd. , Champagne