Spyder Garage

Default Can-Am OEM Trailering Cover

I see that Can-Am has what they bill as a trailering cover . (https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/shop/...rt-models.html )

Anyone here have any real world experience with one? I pull an open trailer behind my truck/camper rig. If this actually stays on and doesn't damage the paint I'd want one.
    2018 F3 Limited Dark , Stock Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I seen the other site you traded the Harley for a F3 . What made you go with the F3 versus a RT?
    Last edited by trikermutha; 12-10-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Spyder Garage

Simple. I can not sit in that position. Same reason I never had a GW. I have a Rhuematic disease (actually 2). My joints don't move properly. And I find the F3L more attractive. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder thing. If not for the medical issue I would most likely still be on two wheels and never switched over to trikes 10 years ago. Holding in a clutch has become pretty painful as well as the front break. F3 has a lower seat height which makes getting on and off easier.
    BKMNI
    RWP!
    2018 F3 Limited
    Intense Red Pearl

2015 Harley Davidson
    FLRT "Freewheeler"
    Vivid Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hear you we both have the same disease if memory serves me correctly. Yeah it is nice not have a clutch to pull in anymore too.

Well good luck hope you like it!

Spyder Garage

A friend had a trailering cover that ripped while towing on an open trailer. He was not happy!
    2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    2017 Honda Pilot
    2018 Maverick Trail 1000 DPS
    2015 RTS SE6 Intense Red Pearl
    2014 35' Keystone Fuzion Impact Toyhauler
    Ultimate Seats passenger backrest, Adjustable wind deflectors, Minitrailer USA trailer, Can Am driver backrest, Corbin passenger armrests, after market hitch, DIY bump skid, LED turn indicaters, cup holders, frunk decal stripes, DIY GPS mount, DIY Gopro dash mount, aux 12v & USB outlets, DIY belt rock shield, BajaRon swaybar, frunk 12v outlet

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As long as it does not flap around in the wind the cover will last.

Spyder Garage

I would not tow a bike with a cover. It is sure to damage the paint. Buy an enclosed trailer.

Spyder Garage

Towing cover? No such thing!
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KenDelano View Post
    I see that Can-Am has what they bill as a trailering cover . (https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/shop/...rt-models.html ) Anyone here have any real world experience with one? I pull an open trailer behind my truck/camper rig. If this actually stays on and doesn't damage the paint I'd want one.
    The cover in that link is for an RT. Which model of Spyder do you have?

These covers from BRP are completely custom fit and snug and don't flap around in the wind. They're also fleece-lined, so do not scuff the surfaces. You can safely tow with one on, in my experience (I have two). I think it's a great alternative to an enclosed trailer and definitely nice if you have to store the bike outside any length of time.

The only down side I've found is that they are so snug that they may not fit properly if you have an oversized windshield or other accessory that changes the bike's profile much. My wife's RT has a chrome rack on the trunk and that interferes sufficiently that the rear section of the cover will not close properly.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by azprince View Post
    I would not tow a bike with a cover. It is sure to damage the paint. Buy an enclosed trailer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Towing cover? No such thing!
    I've got to agree... If you can't get that cover snugged down to the point where it doesn't flap around at all: it will eventually damage the finish on your Spyder.

If you can't use a covered trailer: it's actually best to just wash the bike after you arrive.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    These covers from BRP are completely custom fit and snug and don't flap around in the wind. They're also fleece-lined, so do not scuff the surfaces. You can safely tow with one on, in my experience (I have two). I think it's a great alternative to an enclosed trailer and definitely nice if you have to store the bike outside any length of time.

The only down side I've found is that they are so snug that they may not fit properly if you have an oversized windshield or other accessory that changes the bike's profile much. My wife's RT has a chrome rack on the trunk and that interferes sufficiently that the rear section of the cover will not close properly.
    Thank you. Exactly the info I was asking for.
    BKMNI
    RWP!
    2018 F3 Limited
    Intense Red Pearl

2015 Harley Davidson
    FLRT "Freewheeler"
    Vivid Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My .03 ….. A cover , any cover will scratch the paint - - period...………….. The only thing that won't scratch the paint is a shrink wrap - like what they use when transporting New veh's….. and nobody does this for a Spyder...….. The spyder is a an all-weather veh, it won't melt, if you are concerned about what your Tow veh might throw up, than get a trailer with a GUARD on the front ………… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    My .03 ….. A cover , any cover will scratch the paint - - period...………….. The only thing that won't scratch the paint is a shrink wrap - like what they use when transporting New veh's….. and nobody does this for a Spyder...….. The spyder is a an all-weather veh, it won't melt, if you are concerned about what your Tow veh might throw up, than get a trailer with a GUARD on the front ………… Mike
    Mike I have seen more new cars on car haulers in my life than I could count. I've never seen one shrink wrapped. I have how ever seen plenty of luxury cars being transported with covers on them .Audi does it all of the time. That is just one example.
    BKMNI
    RWP!
    2018 F3 Limited
    Intense Red Pearl

2015 Harley Davidson
    FLRT "Freewheeler"
    Vivid Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ken there are " THOUSANDS " of things that I have not seen ………….. But I believe they Do exist, somewhere...… I used the term " shrink wrapped ", this may not be what the process is called...… I've seen lots of boats " Shrink wrapped " also. ……...Could be that Vermont is not as Rural as I thought …… Mike

Spyder Garage

don't know about their current models, but have had two (2) BRP traveling covers for my Spyder on an open trailer and neither one held up at all... the wind whipping will tear them no matter how well you tie them down.. my dealer replaced the first one and then gave me credit on the second one after they both ripped. just an FYI
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KenDelano View Post
    I see that Can-Am has what they bill as a trailering cover . (https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/shop/...rt-models.html )

Anyone here have any real world experience with one? I pull an open trailer behind my truck/camper rig. If this actually stays on and doesn't damage the paint I'd want one.
    I can answer your question exactly from personal experience using the BRP 'trailering' cover while hauling my 2017 F3L from Florida back to Ontario (about 1400 miles) last April, on an open trailer, as well as using it to protect my Spyder when stored outside, both in Ontario as well as in Florida.

I bought my F3L in May 2017; at the very same time, I purchased a BRP trailering cover, knowing that my Spyder would likely be outside in both locations (we only have carports in either place, and they often get priority use by cars), and also knowing that I had every intention of using the Spyder 12 months a year, which meant hauling it. I quickly acquired an open aluminum trailer (in fact, I got it before the Spyder arrived). Thus, my logic in buying the BRP trailering cover. Herewith my experience.....

Issue #1: fit. The BRP trailering cover is designed to fit snugly over the F3L, including over the stock top case, side bags and stock windshield. Problems can arise if you purchase an aftermarket windshield, as I did - bought a 23" F4 shield. The BRP trailering cover will work with the short stock shield, no problem. There is even an 'expansion' pocket which will accommodate a BRP 'Tall Boy" shield. However, the BRP cover, even with expansion pocket opened, will not allow the cover to properly fit over the wider F4 shield. I cannot tell you whether it will work with any other aftermarket shields as I did not measure them. Just be aware that windscreen size/change can alter your ability to use a BRP snug fitting cover. Even though I took my F4 screen off before hauling south, I did not use the BRP cover coming down to FL. I drove through a day of torrential rain in NC; the Spyder survived. Problems can also arise if you have an F3T, without top case, and later decide to add an aftermarket piece. It may not fit the parameters of the BRP cover. You also should check if installing an 'extender' to enlarge the pillion seat by moving the stock top case back - the few inches gained may make that cover unusable. The BRP cover does have two more expansion pockets designed to allow it to accommodate BRP passenger arm rests, so no problem if these are added.

Last winter, I used the BRP trailering cover extensively as outdoor protection from the sun/rain while in FL from Nov-April. It worked well. I really appreciated its quality and heavy duty construction. I did find it a bit of a struggle at times putting it on and taking it off because of the very snug fit. It's so well or closely designed to the bike's shape as to be something of a PITA to put on/take off on a daily basis when riding a lot. For that reason, I switched to a lighter Nelson-Rigg full cover; looser fitting and much quicker and easier to use. Also not nearly as bulky or heavy. The N-R cover is my daily user now; the BRP is a back-up, and I might even consider selling it. It got used only once for actual trailering; see next comment.

Issue # 2: paint damage while trailering. The BRP cover is very snug fitting to begin with - almost a 'body glove' for the F3L. There are also several strong 'belly' straps that help draw it up real tight and prevent flapping. On my trip north last April, I expected to run into foul weather (snow and ice), so put on the cover before departing (we tend to drive straight through in 24 hours, so I didn't want to do the fastening mid trip). While hauling, I watched the BRP cover in the rear view mirror constantly; didn't ever notice flapping. Nothing came loose along the way. I checked the straps at every pit stop; snugged them down when required. We did get bad weather - rain, some snow flurries, but nothing that would have badly damaged the bike had it not been covered. The BRP cover showed lots of evidence of road grime and dirt on arrival, but no cause for concern. While travelling, I noticed the cover pressed up tightly against the front and sides of the Spyder from wind pressure due to thruway speeds. I had switched over to a 'Tall Boy' shield just before heading north. Thus, the expansion pocket was open to accommodate that larger shield; the snug fit was good, and worked as designed.

When I took the cover off a couple of days after arriving back in Ontario, I closely inspected the Spyder for paint damage, scratches, scuffing, etc. I found no marks of any consequence on the front or sides of the Spyder. I did notice, however, that the additional liner padding material on the inside of the cover was worn in several places. I concluded that the wear spots were caused by intense friction or rubbing against protrusions or corner areas of the Spyder, such as at fenders and around the rear below the top case, and over the ends of the side bags. Then, I found damage. Because of the snugged down or tightened fit, there seems to have been a lot of rubbing and consequent friction over the rear corners of the side bags. Indeed, the paint was worn right through in several places. My Spyder is red; there are now several small areas where a black undercoat shows, or where the red surface paint was friction burned. There are corresponding worn places on the cover itself. I stress that these areas are very small, and noticeable only if one does a detailed inspection. They are perhaps the size of a pencil eraser - a couple on each side bag. Also, this same friction caused by cover tightness against the Spyder's rear caused the metal bracket holding my licence plate in place to constantly bend back and forth. You guessed it: the metal brackets snapped in half. How do I know the cover caused this - because my licence plate with broken brackets fell on the ground as I was removing the cover. I was lucky; the plate got caught in the cover, but didn't drop out somewhere between FL and ON. The snug fitting cover at least kept all my parts together.

Conclusion: I didn't use the trailering cover to travel back south this fall. I doubt that I will ever use it again while trailering, unless confronted by absolutely horrendous bad weather. Even then, I'll likely take my chances, even with my open aluminum trailer. It may get used as a protective outdoor cover; it seems to be a quality item and I think it does a great job there. Expensive? Yes. But very effective. Just not as easy to put on/take off as my Nelson-Rigg cover, but probably superior at protecting from harsh elements.

That's my take - not just my two cents worth; more like $300 worth (cost of the BRP cover).

Hope this helps answer your question.
    Last edited by bushrat; 12-12-2018 at 10:36 PM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    That's my take - not just my two cents worth; more like $300 worth (cost of the BRP cover).

Hope this helps answer your question.
    WOW Bushrat! Thank you for that in-depth response! You certainly convinced me not to buy one!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always liked using BRP's full cover when the bike was parked. I does fit the bike like a glove, and would protect it from both weather, and prying eyes...
    … But I'd never use it while towing!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have used the full cover on my 2011 rts with extra tie down straps; ; all while the Spyder sits on a power deck on my 2500 gm pick up. Travelling 3000+ miles each winter from Alberta to Arizona, there have been no scratches or wear points on the trike... I can send a photo if you like.

Spyder Garage