Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2017 vs 2018 RT Limited

I am planning to buy an RT limited in the next couple of weeks, and have a dealer nearby that has a new 2017 and a new 2018 on the floor. The 2017 is about $2100 cheaper, and my first color choice (Blue). The 2018 is a Champaign, my fourth color choice.

I've done a fair bit of research trying to understand the differences from 2017 to 2018, but have not found a succinct comparison. From what I've found, the biggest difference is the BRP Connect with the new left hand switches/joystick and upgraded amp/speakers. I've seen very mixed reviews on the Connect, so I think I am neutral on that feature. The other changes are a couple of switch locations like the parking brake, some changes in the startup sequence (I think), and it seems the 2018 has auto leveling rear suspension vice a setting of soft/firm.

Am I missing anything significant in the differences? While I like the "flash factor" of the BRP Connect, it does not seem to be worked out enough for a $2K price difference, and I will use a headset most of the time for sound.

I know some of it is opinion, but would appreciate anyone speaking up if I am missing anything big. Thanks
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

If you are going to keep it for several years go for th 17, if you are going to trade in a year or two .... go for the 18

My opinion is worth what you pay for it LOL

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

That sounds about right. Isn't there still a BRP discount available on left over 2018's? https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/promotions.html
    This is not official, but anecdotal. My local mechanic could swear that the 2018 suspension is different from the 2017 suspension. He said that the 2018 seemed to have a more settled, sure footed feeling when compared to riding the 2017. He said that both he and his wife noticed the difference. Also, that there isn't any documented evidence that there was a change in suspension.

Spyder Garage

I have 2017 just bought 2018 rt 2018 is a lot better bike no belt vibration steering is a lot easier brp changed the way engine is mounted so there is no vibration, new steering and changed something with a arms. go ride both 2018 is a big improvement. I demoed 2018 2 its total 60 miles had it up to 90 miles per hour one just came out of crate.so much better than 2017

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The sound system is really the biggest difference. This is all wrapped up in the BRP Connect stuff...
    But it Does come with six speakers now: a noticeable improvement!
    Underneath it's Tupperware: they re-packaged some components; that won't directly affect anybody too much...
    If you like technology: get the 2018!
    If you like things a bit simpler: save the money, and get your favorite color.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I bought in July 2018 and chose the ‘18 RTL, I could of saved more money by buying the ‘17. I chose ‘18 due to new dash, along w other enhancements already mentioned. All new tech has issues in the beginning but software can always be updated. The ‘17 cluster can not be upgraded to the new ‘18 dash. And I was very happy to see the ‘19 RTL’s have same dash and only difference I’ve noticed vs 2018’s was in color choice. Clearly BRP Connect is here to stay, may as well get latest tech, especially considering large rebate. After the 13.2 software update, dash works awesome. If you’re unhappy w color, you can always wrap it. Good luck.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The new Display sure is pretty... and it's a whole lot easier to see!

It's Here 03.jpg

Spyder Garage

Demo both and then you can decide about the ride but I put my money on the 17 bc I didn't want the frustration of dealing with a hi-tech sound system that I was sure would drive me crazy.These bikes have a lot of distractions built in already but if youre a techy kind of guy maybe you should wait for the 19 models in the hopes that they will get the bugs worked out.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With your eyes closed (NOT being suggested!): you can't tell the difference between the bikes.
    My 2014 and 2018 rode and handled the same...

Spyder Garage

I bought the next to last 2017 at the dealer. Got the discount and a few other goodies. The last one sold while I was signing the papers. That was in January. I put 15,000 miles on her this first year. Very happy rider here.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Allot of great information from everyone. Am checking a few dealers for availability of colors around the Tampa FL area.....hoping to find a good match between price and colors. Allot of dealer around here are crazy on price (given the rebates from BRP right now), and then add luges shipping and prep costs. Look forward to getting a Spyder -- having to give up an 18 Goldwing due to a hip injury, but want to continue riding.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Happy hunting, and the best of luck to you!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The OP said he uses a headset. Haven't I read here that the radio in the 2018 does not BT to a headset, or do I remember wrong?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The OP said he uses a headset. Haven't I read here that the radio in the 2018 does not BT to a headset, or do I remember wrong?
    No. the FM radio doesn't have BT but the music comes from the smartphone. It would be great if they came up with something to be able to hear any music in the headset.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McClendons View Post
    Am I missing anything significant in the differences? While I like the "flash factor" of the BRP Connect, it does not seem to be worked out enough for a $2K price difference, and I will use a headset most of the time for sound.

I know some of it is opinion, but would appreciate anyone speaking up if I am missing anything big. Thanks
    What's your plan with regard to CB? If you have one on your Goldwing and use it a fair amount then you'll have to factor that into your decision. The 2017 has CB available as about a $1000 option. If you want to use a wired helmet headset you have to install the CB as it provides the headset and intercom capabilities. If you don't install the CB then you need to use a Sena SM10 radio to BT adapter in order to use a helmet headset, which has to be BT headset.

The 2018 has no factory CB option available. You can use an aftermarket system like one from J & M. I haven't checked it out for some time but I think it's BT. Sena has a BT adapter that plugs into a handheld CB and uses an add-on handlebar PTT button. I don't know if the SR10 radio to BT adapter can be fitted on the 2018 or not. If not, then the only way to listen to FM on the 2018 is to blast it out of the speakers, or use a separate radio receiver that connects via BT. If you don't use FM radio then it's a whole different story.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 12-12-2018 at 01:08 AM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The speakers are quite loud and FM music along with GPS directions can be heard loud enough that I want to tone it down when in traffic. The GPS and phone music can be heard in headset if set up that way. The Sena SM10 has yet to be connected to the '18's radio, so if you figure it out I'd like to know.

I use a Midland 75-822 handheld CB with Sena SR10 velcroed to handlebar. The CB is in a Transit Escape pouch ( https://www.performancebike.com/shop...be-bag-40-5196) as a tank bag with radio inside. I'm working on using a USB to cig lighter power outlet to power the CB. Plugging the USB into the portable power like what can be used to jump the bike. To power the CB you'd need a shielded power
    outlet from battery.

I use an old iPhone with GPS, Rever, Accuweather and FOBO along with phone music paired to the bike and plugged in mounted on top of dash. I use my working phone paired to the headset with SiriusXM, Waze and Garmin if needed. I mount it to the center of the Tri-axis handlebars. Works great.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

My Sena 30K has FM receiver in Bluetooth device. Would be nice if the ‘18’s could have FM w BT but if I want to listen to regular FM radio I can just use my Sena. My wife has done that while I’ve had my phone music playing via RT BT. We don’t really have the same taste in music anyway. Lol. But the speakers are plenty loud and even w Genius Maps turn by turn. Think Genius last update helped volume and improved the Verbal Warnings, I don’t have to turn off Speed Warning every time now, glad they fixed that.
    Very curious to hear what color options are available w 17’s & ‘18’s. Dealer inventory is dwindling by me. But I’m sure you’ll be happy w either machine. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Reference the Bluetooth discussions. I ASSUMED that the audio system blue-toothed to a headset across the board, other bikes have been doing so for years. From above, it sounds like the FM does NOT, but does at least the GPS and say an Aux player (IPOD, phone etc). Lacking FM bluetooth is a serious bug. If no bluetooth...........

I found a Grey Dark Limited 2018 that I planned to go drop a deposit on here shortly. The bluetooth has me scratching my head now. If the 2017 has bluetooth, that could be a factor. Can someone clarify, from above I believe that the FM will not bluetooth, but other radio system inputs (IPOD, GPS, etc) will. Thanks

As for colors on limited, most available 2018s are White, and I've seen Chrome and Dark. There are a few of the Champagnes, and all I've seen were chrome. One dealer has a 2017 Blue Chrome Limited as well (new). I found one White "base" as well.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

No FM Bluetooth on 2018 RTL. But maybe a software update can fix that. But as of now, no dice. Just phone music & GPS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    Demo both and then you can decide about the ride but I put my money on the 17 bc I didn't want the frustration of dealing with a hi-tech sound system that I was sure would drive me crazy.These bikes have a lot of distractions built in already but if youre a techy kind of guy maybe you should wait for the 19 models in the hopes that they will get the bugs worked out.
    I agree, I love my 2016 because it does not have all of the extra dashboard stuff. I am somewhat of a techy guy but not when it comes to my Spyder, simple is better for me and I don't use the radio since I play my music through my communicator headset. Ryde both and decide which you like better, in the end that is the only way you will know.
    2016 F3-T , Lamonster break pedal extender White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McClendons View Post
    Reference the Bluetooth discussions. I ASSUMED that the audio system blue-toothed to a headset across the board, other bikes have been doing so for years. From above, it sounds like the FM does NOT, but does at least the GPS and say an Aux player (IPOD, phone etc). Lacking FM bluetooth is a serious bug. If no bluetooth...........

I found a Grey Dark Limited 2018 that I planned to go drop a deposit on here shortly. The bluetooth has me scratching my head now. If the 2017 has bluetooth, that could be a factor. Can someone clarify, from above I believe that the FM will not bluetooth, but other radio system inputs (IPOD, GPS, etc) will. Thanks
    Both FM and Aux on the '18s is not bluetooth capable. So far, only music and built-in GPS from the smartphone, is available to headsets. You can configure them to either speakers or headset. Other bikes have had to have a Sena SM10 BT adapter installed to get music and sounds to the headset, they didn't come that way. The newer radio might get it eventually as its still new and needs Sena or whoever to figure it out.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I appreciate the great feedback Flamewinger. Am a little disappointed in BRP that they have bluetooth on the bike (eg GPS and Music), and did not use it. Hopefully they will get that major software bug fixed quickly, although been a year. Should be an extremely easy fix, since they already have the bluetooth connection working, just route audio (FM/Aux) to the same output.

While disappointed in BRP for the above, I went ahead and pulled the plug on a 2018 Grey Limited yesterday. Will pick it up next week, and may explore adding a separate bluetooth dongle for FM while BRP figures it out. My headset (Sena 10U) does have FM, but no indications of channels etc.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Congratulations! That was the color I initially wanted. I’m sure you’ll love it. Best of luck!

Spyder Garage

Congrats on your new ride.It'll take a bit of time to get use to it but you'll love it
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    With your eyes closed (NOT being suggested!): you can't tell the difference between the bikes.
    My 2014 and 2018 rode and handled the same...
    Bob did you not notice the steering was much lighter on your 2018.Congrats on your new motor home sure looks nice.
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended