Spyder Garage

Default Any fix for 2015 RTS poor / no AM/FM radio reception?

Radio reception is poor or non-existent for both AM and FM bands. This it is not a location issue because my Goldwing parked next to the Spyder gets great reception. I did check the antenna connection and ground and all appears fine. The sound system works fine with an Ipod. Any ideas?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ScootRP View Post
    Radio reception is poor or non-existent for both AM and FM bands. This it is not a location issue because my Goldwing parked next to the Spyder gets great reception. I did check the antenna connection and ground and all appears fine. The sound system works fine with an Ipod. Any ideas?
    You are not alone on this issue ………… I did two things, #1. I removed my antennae and scraped and cleaned the threads ( inside and outside ), that helped quite a bit ( also used a star washer instead of LokTite ) …….. but what really improved my reception was a Bosche ( retractable ) car antennae. It will fit into the speaker pod on the right side. I did need to drill a new hole thru the back end of the Arm rest ( on top ) because the Bosche unit is about 8 inches long so the angle must be more vertical to fit the unit into the speaker pod housing. I bought the Bosche on-line off E-bay ( about $12.00 )…. easy winter project if you have a warm place to work in ….. At this past SPYDER- FEST @ Lake George I demonstrated it's reception capabilities ( @ the Vt. country store Ride ) and those that were present where amazed at the number of stations I could receive ………. sorry but no Pics - I didn't own a camera phone when I did this Mod .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-09-2018 at 11:04 AM.

Spyder Garage

Do you have a p/n for that antennae?I switched my stock out for a two footish HD one that worked well on my V but still could be much better!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woods View Post
    Do you have a p/n for that antennae?I switched my stock out for a two footish HD one that worked well on my V but still could be much better!
    Unfortunately because the purchase ( on E-bay ) was so long ago it's not on file anymore...…. I'm sure any quality after market Manual re-tractable auto ant. will be a hugh improvement ………… Before you make a purchase - take the right side Speaker pod off and measure how much Depth you have for the antenna, most are from 7 to 9 inches. ……… good luck …. mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've tried a couple of different antenna solutions on my two 1330 TS... Nothing ever worked.
    Scraping the antenna base threads helped a little bit; certainly not enough.
    But I live in an area where FM reception can be problematic in any vehicle: it's just worse with the Spyders.

Curiously: my 2010 RT had the best reception of my three bikes. I wonder what they changed in the sound system?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

2016 RT-S SE6, Radio reception is always a problem. Solution, a good bluetooth radio receiver and Siriusxm. Works great and know no issues. Patrick Kane

Spyder Garage

I have a 2018 rtl ,and the reception is terrible .It is about the same as my freecom head set .
    2018 RTL , dark blue