Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Another thread about money......for those receiving S.S.

Received good news today. Social Security monthly payment is going up. The percent is good enough for me. What surprised was, I've seen Medicare monthly payment go up the same amount dollar wise, in the past; this time, we get almost the whole amount of the SS increase, except for a $1.50.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Really😲

Have not seen anything as yet but the last time they adjusted mine it went down....Glad yours is going up and fingers crossed mine will stay the same or go up as well.... congrats...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Hope mine goes up as well.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

You must still be working and haven't reached full retirement age? I'm just guessing. I'm past full retirement age, and still working a few days a month, and don't have to worry about being penalized with a reduction.

Spyder Garage

I too got a nice raise and all of my Payee clients got one as well. I also noticed that medicare did not take the obligatory equal raise. Happy daz are here again.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Yah, Last time there was an announcement of the SS increase. Yippie....! Then, they raise the Medicare amount that just happened to equal the SS increase. A lot of bureaucratic nonsense. Could have saved us a bunch of money by just saying "nevermind". Looks like this year may be a bit better. Hope so..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Retirement is great. My finances are now better.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Received good news today. Social Security monthly payment is going up. The percent is good enough for me. What surprised was, I've seen Medicare monthly payment go up the same amount dollar wise, in the past; this time, we get almost the whole amount of the SS increase, except for a $1.50.
    I'm not yet old enough for SS or Medicare, but I'm close enough to be interested. I'm confused by this thread. Can you explain what is the "Medicare monthly payment"? I thought Medicare was a benefit you got without having to make a monthly payment. And what does this mean: "we get almost the whole amount of the SS increase, except for a $1.50"?
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    I'm not yet old enough for SS or Medicare, but I'm close enough to be interested. I'm confused by this thread. Can you explain what is the "Medicare monthly payment"? I thought Medicare was a benefit you got without having to make a monthly payment. And what does this mean: "we get almost the whole amount of the SS increase, except for a $1.50"?
    Part A (Hospitalization) Medicare requires no monthly payment. Everything else does. For example, Part B (Doctor visits, etc.) requires a monthly payment (which comes out of SS). I think mine's been $135 this year and it's going up $1.50/month next year.

Those are just the highlights. Medicare is complicated. Be sure to do your research when signing up.

I hope this helps a bit.
    Bert

Spyder Garage

RE: Medicare Monthly Payment. Medicare deducts a monthly amount from the gross SS check--so in essence, it is not totally free. It is not bad though. I had over $250,000 in medical expenses a couple years back, it cost me about $10K out of my pocket that year. MC covered the rest.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    As newbert said, do your homework and study it all closely. The big one is original Medicare versus Medicare Advantage plans. And then there are Medigap, or supplemental plan out there. And your employer's insurance may play a part. I trust you realize your full retirement age is 67, not 65, although Medicare becomes available at 65. Confusing enough for you yet? That's why it's never too early to start learning about it!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I feel your pain, mine was an exact wash, guess I should be thankful.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    As newbert said, do your homework and study it all closely. The big one is original Medicare versus Medicare Advantage plans. And then there are Medigap, or supplemental plan out there. And your employer's insurance may play a part. I trust you realize your full retirement age is 67, not 65, although Medicare becomes available at 65. Confusing enough for you yet? That's why it's never too early to start learning about it!
    Not sure what you mean about retirement age being 67 vs 65. SS can start at 62 if you want and medicare at 65. For me, the big one is Medicare. Health insurance for the wife and I is nearly 25k a year so I cannot retire until medicare takes that on. Have not decided when to start SS.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    johnsimion,

I'm retired military, and up until I was 65 I had Tricare Prime health insurance (a freebie from being retired military), at that point I was automatically enrolled in Tricare for Life, IF and only IF I had Medicare part B, which you have to pay for, as others have mentioned. So, in my case the supplemental stuff that Idaho mentions, I didn't find it necessary to deal with. Also, I chose to start drawing my S.S. at 62, which was at a reduced rate, but I also continued to work, when I felt like it, keeping me just below the threshold of having to pay back some S.S.

Just as an aside, when you are told Tricare is free, it really is not, not when you hit 65. However, I'm not complaining; others have to pay a lot more to maintain a reasonable amount of health coverage into their golden years.
    Last edited by wyliec; 12-08-2018 at 08:20 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Not sure what you mean about retirement age being 67 vs 65. SS can start at 62 if you want and medicare at 65. For me, the big one is Medicare. Health insurance for the wife and I is nearly 25k a year so I cannot retire until medicare takes that on. Have not decided when to start SS.
    Full retirement age for S.S. is based on the year you were born; age 65 is when you start with medicare.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/agereduction.html

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    JC, " on the when to start " thing …… for you and others who are trying to figure this out. ….. Do the Math - for me if I had waited till I was 70 ….. I would have to have reached 82 ( 12 yrs ) for the money numbers to break even. After that I would actually begin to benefit from the 70+ max amount. The SS administration has done the Math on this and they have the actuarial's that show They SAVE money if folks wait till they are 70...… IMHO do the math…………...Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Do the Math - for me if I had waited till I was 70 ….. I would have to have reached 82 ( 12 yrs ) for the money numbers to break even.
    I didn't do the math that far.
    I figured that with my luck, if I waited until 70, that I would die at 69 years and 11 months.......and get a big NOTHING.

I passed that milestone but glad to hear that I made the right decision anyway.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm waiting until I hit 66 years, and 4 Months: That's when nobody will want to be in the way of me retiring.
    62, and 2+ Months now: and counting!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    JC, " on the when to start " thing …… for you and others who are trying to figure this out. ….. Do the Math - for me if I had waited till I was 70 ….. I would have to have reached 82 ( 12 yrs ) for the money numbers to break even. After that I would actually begin to benefit from the 70+ max amount. The SS administration has done the Math on this and they have the actuarial's that show They SAVE money if folks wait till they are 70...… IMHO do the math…………...Mike
    I've said for years the one mistake the Reagan administration made when they pushed the SS reform back in 1984 was not make a significant change in the crossover calculation, i.e., the year after which your total SS benefit would be greater by delaying retirement. For retirement at any age from 62 to the current 66 the crossover is around 78 to 80. Reagan's intent was to create an incentive for delaying retirement but they botched it. The crossover keeps moving out farther the later you retire. They should have made it so that the later you start SS benefits the sooner you reach the crossover age.

In my case the crossover was something like 94 when I calculated it on my and my wife's combined SS benefit. She is four years older than I am and her benefit is based entirely on my earnings, so naturally I opted to start SS at 62. Family history doesn't give me any confidence in getting past 85, or maybe not even 80, let alone 94.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 12-08-2018 at 02:02 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I don't reach full retirement until Feb so I'll have to wait. My military pension and sheriff's office pension is working fine right now. I figure by the time I start pulling my SS, I'll end up making more then I did when I was actually getting up to go to work every day.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

The actuaries have it all figured out.

None of us are going to "beat" the system. The earlier you apply when eligible, the less your monthly payment will be.

The later you apply, your monthly payment is bigger.

However, people will usually end up with close to the same amount paid out by the time you die.

I waited until they told me I had to apply. I believe that was 70.

If you are working you also pay income tax on part of your SS earning.

Idaho in post #25 does a good job of explaining the taxable portion of SS payments.

A good financial adviser is a good thing.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-09-2018 at 01:55 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I still think that it's best to just hit on the Powerball lottery...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My health insurance for my wife and I is going up $1.32 a month to $49..50.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    (ak has deleted the previously quoted text)
    There is no age at which it becomes non-taxable. The amount of SS that is taxable depends entirely on a special calculation of combined income. If your AGI + non taxable interest income + 1/2 of your SS benefit exceeds $32,000 for a couple, then 50% of your SS is taxable up to $44,000 combined income. Above $44,000 combined income 85% of your SS benefit is taxed. What that means is the actual amount of the SS benefit that is taxed depends on how much other income you have. If you have $20,000 AGI, no interest income, and $30,000 SS benefit, then 50% of $3000 ($35,000 combined - $32,000 threshold) of the SS benefit is taxed. If you have an AGI of $32,000 and $5000 SS benefit then 50% of the entire $5000 SS benefit is taxable. If you have $44,000 AGI then 85% of your SS benefit is taxed. There is no upper dollar limit.

This page explains it pretty good. https://www.fool.com/retirement/gene...y-taxable.aspx

The taxation of SS benefits is the primary reason I haven't worked part time since retirement. My annuity is mostly taxable, as is my 401k withdrawal. That all exceeds the $44,000 threshold. So if I work every dollar I would earn would add 85 cents of my SS benefit to my taxable income without increasing my income. Add to that the FICA tax that would be taken out and now out every dollar I earn I would get to keep around 60 cents. That's at a federal tax rate of about 15%. I would keep less if I'm in a higher tax bracket. So for a job paying a near minimum wage of $10/hr I would effectively be working for $5/hr. That is a powerful disincentive to work.

There is a common misconception that after you reach full retirement age SS is non-taxable. That is not the case. What happens is for every dollar you earn in wages, after you start taking SS benefits and before you reach full retirement age, you lose 50 cents of your benefit for every dollar you earn above a specified threshold. That restriction stops when you reach full retirement age. After that you can earn as much money as you want in the form of wages without impacting the size of your SS benefit. But, your SS benefit is subject to being taxed per my comments above.

About the only tax reduction scheme left for us ordinary mortals, because of the high increase in standard deduction, is what's called a Qualified Charitable Distribution. If you have your 401k manager cut a check to a charitable organization it will go toward satisfying your minimum distribution requirement and also becomes a non-taxable withdrawal from your 401k fund. This provision is not available for IRA funds.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 12-09-2018 at 05:19 PM.

2014 Copper RTS