Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IgoFar2 View Post
    My preference for cold weather riding, is heated gear. I've gone the non-heated gear route for years, but kept getting cold enough that riding for longer than an hour caused issues. I finally invested in heated gear. After much research I chose Warm n Safe. https://www.warmnsafe.com/

I use the waterproof heated jacket liner, heated gloves, heated pants and heated socks. Eighty percent of the time, I only need the heated jacket liner and heated gloves. But, when those toes and feet get cold those heated socks are worth their weight in gold.

As a side note, their Ultimate Touring Heated Gloves are the best winter gloves I have used; heated or non-heated.
    I'm just curious - isn't that a mess of wires to energize all those different garments? How many outlets do you need to plug them all in? I've never gone that route (heated gear) and most of my hesitancy is having to deal with all those wires, multiple outlets, etc.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have the remote control that controls pants, socks and vest and gloves separately. I can adjust as needed.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Hell-o johnsimion, was just reading your post on staying warm. Have a Can Am Spyder heated comfort seat with adjustable backrest. The seat works with the heated handlebar and passenger hand warmer. The seat has less than 800 miles while on the bike. It didn't work well with my butt and 200 miles and I was a hurting. Of course being 280 lbs probably contributed to the pain. Ended up buying a custom seat, but not heated. Girlfriend a little upset cause she really liked the warm butt, just like in a lot of newer vehicles. It was ordered for the 2015 RT and is black in color. Will sell for $600 plus whatever shipping costs. This is less than half what I paid for it, but it's taking up space in the garage. Wiring and instructions are all there. Contact me at mailtojon@yahoo.com if you are interested. Don't get on this site very often, and spyder is in garage now as below 0 days and about 6 inches of snow around. Heck they are even riding snowmobiles on the lakes already. Jon

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I'm just curious - isn't that a mess of wires to energize all those different garments? How many outlets do you need to plug them all in? I've never gone that route (heated gear) and most of my hesitancy is having to deal with all those wires, multiple outlets, etc.
    In our case (and I'm certain it's the same way with the Warmnsafe gear) the gloves/glove liners plug into cords provided on the sleeves of the jacket/jacket liner, and our heated pant liners plug also plug into the jacket liner at the power distribution port. There's only one wire from us to the bike. I also have a two zone wireless thermostat, but I never found a good way to mount the controller to the bike and you still have to have that one wire from the bike to the heated jacket liner for power anyway, so I rarely use it. That technology has gotten a lot better over the last couple of years, though.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

Lot of stuff here about electric heat. The only electric heat I use is my handlebar heaters for my hands. If riding in cold (sub-freezing) conditions, I wear from bottom to top, long knee socks, regular socks and Bates boots. Long johns over thigh length underware. Jeans and leather chaps. (4 layers on my legs). Long sleeve T-shirt with long sleeve tight necked sweatshirt and Eddie Bower Goose Down Jacket. If really, really, cold, I add a vest. I then have a full faced helmet. I usually ride in cold weather with unlined calf skined gloves (using handlebar warmers). I have been in sub 20 degree temperatures and never been cold. Layers work for me...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    It's not nearly as bad as you may think. You can hook up two items to one set of connectors that go to the battery. So, all told, for all four garments you're only dealing with two plugs. It's as difficult as hooking up a charging plug for a battery tender. The connector that goes to the garment is for powering the heated gear, not controlling the gear. All of the wiring that looks so daunting is actually in the garment, i.e., jacket. Warm & Safe has some YouTube videos that help to explain it, and their printed directions are fairly straight forward, too.

For controlling the heat, I use the "Remote Heat-troller". I use two Heat-trollers. Each Heat-troller is capable of controlling two garments independently. Because these are the remote Heat-trollers there aren't any wires to worry about. I have them in leather pouches (available from Warm & Safe) that have padded clips on them, very much like a money clip. I clip them onto my dash. They're also waterproof So, the only wires I have to deal with are the ones that connect to the power plugs for my garments. The power plugs are run under the seat and under the lip of the seat in front of me. From there I attach them to my jacket and pants. (One for jacket & gloves, the other for pants & socks). When the weather warms up I just put the power plugs fully under the seat.

Here's a picture of the connector that goes from the battery to the garment. As you can see there is only one female connector that connects to the garment. That connector powers the garment or two garments, i.e., jacket & gloves, or jacket & pants, etc. Also, Warm & Safe is very responsive to email or phone if help is required.
    012-battery-harness-coax-2_02cc6a64-0e4e-4fc3-be22-ff98b2d3790a_1024x1024.jpg
    Last edited by IgoFar2; 12-10-2018 at 03:04 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have one outlet and a POT to adjust the heat that's it, all my wiring is under the covers. Only one wire is connected to the heated gear and they usually plug into each other if you have more that one. (Jacket,gloves,vest)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Lot of stuff here about electric heat. The only electric heat I use is my handlebar heaters for my hands. If riding in cold (sub-freezing) conditions, I wear from bottom to top, long knee socks, regular socks and Bates boots. Long johns over thigh length underware. Jeans and leather chaps. (4 layers on my legs). Long sleeve T-shirt with long sleeve tight necked sweatshirt and Eddie Bower Goose Down Jacket. If really, really, cold, I add a vest. I then have a full faced helmet. I usually ride in cold weather with unlined calf skined gloves (using handlebar warmers). I have been in sub 20 degree temperatures and never been cold. Layers work for me...... Jim
    You are a lucky one to be able to go non electric. I got hypothermia a few years back riding at 50 degrees. trust me when I tell you that you never want that to happen. I didn't know it was happening and almost took a car out that was turning left in front of me. I took a gravel shoulder and missed him by a couple feet. I bought heated gear the next week. Be safe.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All of my clothing is Gortex.
    Designed for severe outdoor use.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I wouldn’t buy mountaineering gear for an outer layer to wear on a motorcycle. I doubt any mountaineers hit 80 mph. Stick with Gortex or similar fabric for outer layers.
    No armor and happy as can be.
    Besides....the amount of layers I have are in a way armor.
    Since I don't wear armor in the summer its a non-issue for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    No armor in this set up tho right? I’m also looking for something for cooler weather riding and got a decent Bilt jacket for 120 at cycle gear but discovered the pocket for spine armor is tiny. Sedici has a nice 3 layer with 16 inch spine protection but the collar bothered my neck. I’m thinking of returning the built anyway though and seeing if I can’t make the Sedici collar work somehow.
    Since I woke up the fallacy of MC gear I now find the best clothing made.
    Grossly overpriced uncomfortable clothing with a few plastic/foam inserts does not add to safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    so, Roadkill, do you like your clothes, boots, and other stuff?

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

They connect together, there are plugs in the jacket liner that hook to the gloves, pants to insoles etc. https://youtu.be/g3bWaQegMA8 Just one wire to the bike.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 12-15-2018 at 06:51 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Anyone know the wattage limitations for the new Spyders? Running heated gloves, jacket liner, pants, insoles adds up.. Trying the Hotwired Evo line, so far only have the gloves: https://www.cyclegear.com/hotwired?g...SAAEgL2YfD_BwE

Spyder Garage

I am ALWAYS cold; if it is below 70 degrees, I am always shivering. I have worn Gerbing heated jacket liner, Gerbing heated pants liner and Gerbing heated glove liners for 20 years. I won't go riding without them if the temperature is below 70 degrees. I am 4ft. 9 1/2 inches tall. I wear an XS pants liner and a small jacket liner. The glove liners are small.

My partner is 6ft and weighs 215lbs. He generates more heat than I do but he wears Gerbings as well. His Gerbing jacket liner is an XL and his Gerbing heated pants liner is an XL. We begin riding with our heated gear somewhere around the last of October and continue riding throughout the winter months and sometimes on into April wearing heated gear. We live in southeast Missouri.
    2016 RTL , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tbachli View Post
    Anyone know the wattage limitations for the new Spyders? Running heated gloves, jacket liner, pants, insoles adds up.. Trying the Hotwired Evo line, so far only have the gloves: https://www.cyclegear.com/hotwired?g...SAAEgL2YfD_BwE
    The 1330 engine has a 1200 watt alternator. Way more than enough for heated gear.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I am finding it interesting re learning how to work various switches with winter gloves.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's a 20% off for Bohn Body Armor, which provides protection where you want it, without requiring bulky outer clothing. https://www.bohnarmor.com/?utm_sourc...eid=faaa6e4b3b
    2014 RTL Platinum