Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Try the on line company
    motorcyclegear.com I got my FirstGear stuff from them it is first class and works
    they are a good company and the prices are right.
    Dave
    very true
    have bought from them several times over the year
    great prices and top notch customer service, also good info on sizing
    http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

We ride all the time in variable temps. We have Venture heated jackets. Another trick of cool riding with a mesh jacket is to put the rain jacket on the outside of the mesh. It adds another layer of insulation between the wind layer and skin.

With temps like you are asking about, I would invest in heated gear. Being able to add and subtract heat with the push of a button makes comfort very easy to maintain. The reason we have Venture heated gear over other brands is because it is not bulky. It isn't an insulated jacket with electrics added. It is a thin jacket with high output heat. They also have a really nifty control system that doesn't require an external controller.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lstayner View Post
    We ride all the time in variable temps. We have Venture heated jackets. Another trick of cool riding with a mesh jacket is to put the rain jacket on the outside of the mesh. It adds another layer of insulation between the wind layer and skin.

With temps like you are asking about, I would invest in heated gear. Being able to add and subtract heat with the push of a button makes comfort very easy to maintain. The reason we have Venture heated gear over other brands is because it is not bulky. It isn't an insulated jacket with electrics added. It is a thin jacket with high output heat. They also have a really nifty control system that doesn't require an external controller.
    Good to know. https://www.ventureheat.com/motorcycle-heated-gear.html
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Aerostich Darien light jacket, AD1 pants. Kanetsu electric liner. Works for me. Mesh in summer, unless a road trip. Then, cool vest and Darien with vents open. Gerbing gloves. Silk scarf. Toasty!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Aerostich Darien light jacket, AD1 pants. Kanetsu electric liner. Works for me. Mesh in summer, unless a road trip. Then, cool vest and Darien with vents open. Gerbing gloves. Silk scarf. Toasty!
    https://www.aerostich.com/darien-jacket.html
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    And debonair!
    2014 RTL Platinum

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Start with good quality textile gear like Aerostitch, First Gear, Olympia, and Klim. A jacket with liner and overpants, with or without liners, should keep you warm on most winter days. On your RT I would think you would do okay with just adding heated jacket liners for really cold days, I found that the fairing on the RT did a good job of keeing my legs and hands protected. Another nice thing to have are Baker Air Wings, they really help to block the cold air.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

right now and for the next few months my main concern is keeping warm at work

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    right now and for the next few months my main concern is keeping warm at work
    You can always buy a battery operated heated jacket. My shop maintenance guy wears one all winter. That, or you could move to a warmer climate.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

For years, my wife and I have used Gerbing's heated jackets, vests, jacket liners, pant liners, and gloves either singly or in combination. Combined with a windproof outer layer (as noted, mesh jackets don't cut it unless you add a windproof outer layer such as a rain jacket), being able to adjust temperature by turning the thermostat knob beats layering/unlayering.

I'm just now adding surface mounted power ports to our F3T to make plugging in/unplugging easier. On the RTL, there might even be locations to mount the thermostat; I've had that setup on various Gold Wings and it's extra nice not to have to decide where to put the thermostat so you can reach it but it's out of the way.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found the best winter gear to be the stuff sold for mountaineering.
    Stay away from anything that is for motorcycling, they want more $$$$$ and give you crap in return.
    Get the stuff that's waterproof, breathable and hurricane proof.
    My Cabelas "guide wear" jacket is the BOMB over a nice down jacket.....layers work.
    My ski pants (Gore-Tex) are waterproof, windproof and over my jogging pants they are also the BOMB.
    My mitts are for skiing and my Spyder and since you don't need separate fingers they are …….the BOMB.
    My boots are insulated neoprene rubber and with wool socks they are....the BOMB.
    My skiing head sock under my helmet covering my mug and neck is …...the BOMB.
    KISS..(Keep It Simple Stupid). I KISS my equipment and failure is almost nil.....making it....the BOMB. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    My wife and I are by nature always cold; perhaps that's why the heat in Las Vegas doesn't bother us. However, the winter months here would be ideal for ryding if not for getting so cold all the time. Most places in the Southwest seem to run between 30 degrees in the morning and 60 in the afternoon. Also there are mountains out here where one could encounter a 30 degree variation just by the elevation. I realize these temperatures aren't even slightly cold for a lot of people, but they ARE cold for us. Our usual gear (Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jackets) doesn't cut it even with layers underneath and I'm also not keen on long underwear since it becomes hot the minute you go anywhere inside. I'm wondering how others deal with these temperatures?

Part of our problem is sizing -- I'm 6'-4" and 200 and the wife is 5'-0" and 110, so it's always a challenge finding stuff that fits. We're also concerned both with staying warm and being safe, so one solution would be Aerostich suits in hi-viz that could be worn over street clothes. At $2000 for the two of us, though, the Aerostich would be a pretty expensive mistake if they don't solve the problem. There are also multiple versions of the Aerostich, so which one to choose? There's also a Joe Rocket Survivor suit out there that looks good and is much cheaper, but apparently nobody in the U.S. carries it in a tall or even large size.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn’t buy mountaineering gear for an outer layer to wear on a motorcycle. I doubt any mountaineers hit 80 mph. Stick with Gortex or similar fabric for outer layers.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Stay away from anything that is for motorcycling, they want more $$$$$ and give you crap in return.
    My Cabelas "guide wear" jacket is the BOMB over a nice down jacket.....layers work.
    My ski pants (Gore-Tex) are waterproof, windproof and over my jogging pants they are also the BOMB.
    My mitts are for skiing and my Spyder and since you don't need separate fingers they are …….the BOMB.
    My boots are insulated neoprene rubber and with wool socks they are....the BOMB.
    KISS..(Keep It Simple Stupid). I KISS my equipment and failure is almost nil.....making it....the BOMB. lol
    No armor in this set up tho right? I’m also looking for something for cooler weather riding and got a decent Bilt jacket for 120 at cycle gear but discovered the pocket for spine armor is tiny. Sedici has a nice 3 layer with 16 inch spine protection but the collar bothered my neck. I’m thinking of returning the built anyway though and seeing if I can’t make the Sedici collar work somehow.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Heated snowmobile suites.
    Don't really need the heated ones......IF you don't ride below 40 F or so and if the sun is out.

IF.....you want to ride below 40 OR when it is cloudy and windy......then that's a different story.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Since you are in Las Vegas you can get what you need at Cycle Gear or at least get an idea. The Sedici 3 season jackets are pretty nice for the money. Look for one with the quilted liner and rain liner. They also have some nice waterproof pants. Combine these with the Hotwired heated gear and you should be warm.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Since you are in Las Vegas you can get what you need at Cycle Gear or at least get an idea. The Sedici 3 season jackets are pretty nice for the money. Look for one with the quilted liner and rain liner. They also have some nice waterproof pants. Combine these with the Hotwired heated gear and you should be warm.
    I just picked up the Sedici today, it should be fine for NorCal winter riding. Bilt had more hi vis material but not enough back protection.
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 12-08-2018 at 05:41 PM.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I wouldn’t buy mountaineering gear for an outer layer to wear on a motorcycle. I doubt any mountaineers hit 80 mph. Stick with Gortex or similar fabric for outer layers.
    Ann, Goretex is a membrane that is added to another fabric to make outwear. Mountaineering gear is most likely made with Goretex or similar membrane so it only allows moisture to move away from the body, not into the clothing from the elements. I think what you meant is Ballistic Nylon for abrasion resistance.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-08-2018 at 10:36 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Don't forget the double heated "jock strap". Never leave home without it.

I use the Gerber heated Jacket liner, heated pants and sometimes heated gloves when needed. The original heated motorcycle gear out of near Tumwater WA. I visited there shop years ago when they were in the developing stage and used only there garage. Over the past thirty years I have purchased a lot of there gear and was never disappointed. Nothing like buying direct from the inventer of heated M/C gear.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Don't forget the double heated "jock strap". Never leave home without it.

I use the Gerber heated Jacket liner, heated pants and sometimes heated gloves when needed. The original heated motorcycle gear out of near Tumwater WA. I visited there shop years ago when they were in the developing stage and used only there garage. Over the past thirty years I have purchased a lot of there gear and was never disappointed. Nothing like buying direct from the inventer of heated M/C gear.

Jack
    Gerber makes good knives. Are they related?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Gerber makes good knives. Are they related?
    I doubt it Pete. They were the original inventors of heated M/C clothing. They lived about thirty miles from me in WA state. Nice folks. They sold out to a large company in NC. In doing so there were some problems because the new company had manufacturing done in the Orient. Gerbing had to wait so many years before they could start up again and have done so. It is a family business. If I am not mistaken I think First Gear was the company that bought them out.As mentioned above Gordon is one of the sons and they are now selling under the name of "Gordon".

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    I doubt it Pete. They were the original inventors of heated M/C clothing. They lived about thirty miles from me in WA state. Nice folks. They sold out to a large company in NC. In doing so there were some problems because the new company had manufacturing done in the Orient. Gerbing had to wait so many years before they could start up again and have done so. It is a family business. If I am not mistaken I think First Gear was the company that bought them out.As mentioned above Gordon is one of the sons and they are now selling under the name of "Gordon".

Jack
    That's interesting. All this time I thought the Europeans (Germans) started the whole heated gear thing.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

My wife was always cold we picked her up a heated vest and heated chaps off kijji for 50 bucks best 50 bucks we ever spend on bike wear
    2016 Rt , Pearl white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

https://gordonsheated.com/index.php

15% off right now. Gerbing the original

Spyder Garage

My preference for cold weather riding, is heated gear. I've gone the non-heated gear route for years, but kept getting cold enough that riding for longer than an hour caused issues. I finally invested in heated gear. After much research I chose Warm n Safe. https://www.warmnsafe.com/

I use the waterproof heated jacket liner, heated gloves, heated pants and heated socks. Eighty percent of the time, I only need the heated jacket liner and heated gloves. But, when those toes and feet get cold those heated socks are worth their weight in gold.

As a side note, their Ultimate Touring Heated Gloves are the best winter gloves I have used; heated or non-heated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    so, Roadkill, do you like your clothes, boots, and other stuff?

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple