Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Any suggestions on Keeping Warm?

My wife and I are by nature always cold; perhaps that's why the heat in Las Vegas doesn't bother us. However, the winter months here would be ideal for ryding if not for getting so cold all the time. Most places in the Southwest seem to run between 30 degrees in the morning and 60 in the afternoon. Also there are mountains out here where one could encounter a 30 degree variation just by the elevation. I realize these temperatures aren't even slightly cold for a lot of people, but they ARE cold for us. Our usual gear (Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jackets) doesn't cut it even with layers underneath and I'm also not keen on long underwear since it becomes hot the minute you go anywhere inside. I'm wondering how others deal with these temperatures?

Part of our problem is sizing -- I'm 6'-4" and 200 and the wife is 5'-0" and 110, so it's always a challenge finding stuff that fits. We're also concerned both with staying warm and being safe, so one solution would be Aerostich suits in hi-viz that could be worn over street clothes. At $2000 for the two of us, though, the Aerostich would be a pretty expensive mistake if they don't solve the problem. There are also multiple versions of the Aerostich, so which one to choose? There's also a Joe Rocket Survivor suit out there that looks good and is much cheaper, but apparently nobody in the U.S. carries it in a tall or even large size.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Try Cycle Gear. They have 1pc suits and 2 pc suits. If you call them they can usually tell you the size you'll take. I always go a size larger to allow for street cloths under the suit. I have a 1 pc black and grey Firstgear thermal suit that works great that is probably 14 years old. I've rode in 15 to 20 degree weather and stayed warm all day. My son and daughter in law have one also and they love theirs
    Last edited by Two cats; 12-05-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i got highway 21 heated gloves 10 days ago, unfortunately i haven't rode with them yet.

Spyder Garage

Try bajaron. He sells or did sell wearables.

Spyder Garage

Firstgear, https://firstgear-usa.com/?SID=ntldl...90p132m51p3fr5, has tall sizes and I find mine very comfortable. BajaRon sells their products.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Try bajaron. He sells or did sell wearables.
    Please throw another vote on the pile for BajaRon
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My wife and I both use Cycle Gear products, she has pants, jacket and gloves and we have ridden when it's 25 degrees all day long, I only use a heated vest until it gets below 38 then I use a heated jacket liner. usualy just my chaps over my jeans is enough for me unless it stays below 38 all day then I'll put on my insulated pants.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Heated snowmobile suites.

Spyder Garage

How about carhart stuff, not motorcycle gear, but built for extreme out door construction work. I ride in cold weather until the salt goes down. That happened a few weeks ago but last year i rode until the 3rd week of December with temps down into the 20's wearing carhart stuff. Bibb coveralls and a jacket will keep one pretty warm. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

Heated gear is the answer.
    I ride with a DIY heated liner under my FirstGear Jacket. Size 3XL.
    I have learned mesh will not keep you warm no matter what you wear as underlayers.
    I too am perpetually cold.
    Also have heated glove liners which to me are essential for warmth.
    All it takes is lots of 40ga wire, an upholstery sewing needle, and a PWM controller.
    The Spyder ST-S magneto has plenty of power to run the heated gloves and jacket liner.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Heated gear is the way to go. I usually just use a heated vest with a good jacket. When I gets warm outside turn the vest off.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Try the on line company
    motorcyclegear.com I got my FirstGear stuff from them it is first class and works
    they are a good company and the prices are right.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    My wife and I are by nature always cold; perhaps that's why the heat in Las Vegas doesn't bother us. However, the winter months here would be ideal for ryding if not for getting so cold all the time. Most places in the Southwest seem to run between 30 degrees in the morning and 60 in the afternoon. Also there are mountains out here where one could encounter a 30 degree variation just by the elevation. I realize these temperatures aren't even slightly cold for a lot of people, but they ARE cold for us. Our usual gear (Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jackets) doesn't cut it even with layers underneath and I'm also not keen on long underwear since it becomes hot the minute you go anywhere inside. I'm wondering how others deal with these temperatures?

Part of our problem is sizing -- I'm 6'-4" and 200 and the wife is 5'-0" and 110, so it's always a challenge finding stuff that fits. We're also concerned both with staying warm and being safe, so one solution would be Aerostich suits in hi-viz that could be worn over street clothes. At $2000 for the two of us, though, the Aerostich would be a pretty expensive mistake if they don't solve the problem. There are also multiple versions of the Aerostich, so which one to choose? There's also a Joe Rocket Survivor suit out there that looks good and is much cheaper, but apparently nobody in the U.S. carries it in a tall or even large size.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The one piece thermal suit Baja Ron sells is an ideal solution, I think. Or the heated gear if you want to go that way. For protection, take a look at the solutions from Bohn Body Armor
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-05-2018 at 09:06 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Waiting for Cycle Gear to open in El Paso TX soon.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-12-2024 at 07:30 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does BajaRon have a website, like to take a look at his thermals.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    The one piece thermal suit Baja Ron sells is an ideal solution, I think. Or the heated gear if you want to go that way. For protection, take a look at the solutions from Bohn Body Armor
    It's this one. Baja Ron sells it for less https://firstgear-usa.com/thermosuit.html
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-05-2018 at 09:57 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Does BajaRon have a website, like to take a look at his thermals.
    No website yet. Go to the home page, and look at his site sponsor page. His email address is there, and he recommends to contact him that way, which is quicker.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Cycle Gear has Hotwired heated gear that works great.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Aerostich gear rocks. Get heated liners, gloves, and insoles. I have been wearing it for hundreds of thousands of miles. None better. Not cheap, but worth it.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Aerostich gear rocks. Get heated liners, gloves, and insoles. I have been wearing it for hundreds of thousands of miles. None better. Not cheap, but worth it.
    Joe, I think John was asking which of the Aerostitch products he should be considering. Are you saying the heated liner will be adequate with his Joe Rocket Phoenix outer gear?
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-06-2018 at 12:53 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Joe, I think John was asking which of the Aerostitch products he should be considering. Are you saying the heated liner will be adequate with his Joe Rocket Phoenix outer gear?
    For a casual rider such as myself, I was thinking a Joe Rocket Survivor suit would be my first choice (but I can't seem to find one in my size anywhere -- it's out of stock everywhere). If not, I might have to pop for an Aerostich and in that case I would really like to know what KIND of Aerostich would be recommended. I was thinking the R3 Tactical would be enough because with the huge temperature variation here in the winter but I don't really know. Like I said, I don't want to make a $2000 mistake for self and wife. Or maybe a Firstgear Kilimanjaro with matching pants, but the one-piece seems to be a better choice where you can just take it off and stuff it in the Spyder while you walk around in street clothes.

I don't really like the Firstgear Thermosuit because (a) I like hi-viz whereas that suit is gray/black, and (b) it doesn't carry any armor -- which means I'd want to stay armored up underneath and that would kind of defeat the purpose. I don't know why anyone would want to wear black and gray colors on a motorcycle or Spyder. It's like camouflage so other drivers don't see you. No thanks.
    Last edited by johnsimion; 12-06-2018 at 02:21 AM.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OK, thanks.

Spyder Garage

I wear my insulated carhartt coveralls with my rain gear when cold. If it warms up some I take off the rain gear. Not really great style, but keeps me toasty.
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Front Bumper (Black)
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    I don't really like the Firstgear Thermosuit because (a) I like hi-viz whereas that suit is gray/black, and (b) it doesn't carry any armor -- which means I'd want to stay armored up underneath and that would kind of defeat the purpose. I don't know why anyone would want to wear black and gray colors on a motorcycle or Spyder. It's like camouflage so other drivers don't see you. No thanks.
    Okay. Maybe heated jacket liner is the way to go then.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-06-2018 at 02:24 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum