Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Joe, I think John was asking which of the Aerostitch products he should be considering. Are you saying the heated liner will be adequate with his Joe Rocket Phoenix outer gear?
    For a casual rider such as myself, I was thinking a Joe Rocket Survivor suit would be my first choice (but I can't seem to find one in my size anywhere -- it's out of stock everywhere). If not, I might have to pop for an Aerostich and in that case I would really like to know what KIND of Aerostich would be recommended. I was thinking the R3 Tactical would be enough because with the huge temperature variation here in the winter but I don't really know. Like I said, I don't want to make a $2000 mistake for self and wife. Or maybe a Firstgear Kilimanjaro with matching pants, but the one-piece seems to be a better choice where you can just take it off and stuff it in the Spyder while you walk around in street clothes.

I don't really like the Firstgear Thermosuit because (a) I like hi-viz whereas that suit is gray/black, and (b) it doesn't carry any armor -- which means I'd want to stay armored up underneath and that would kind of defeat the purpose. I don't know why anyone would want to wear black and gray colors on a motorcycle or Spyder. It's like camouflage so other drivers don't see you. No thanks.
    Last edited by johnsimion; 12-06-2018 at 02:21 AM.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    I don't really like the Firstgear Thermosuit because (a) I like hi-viz whereas that suit is gray/black, and (b) it doesn't carry any armor -- which means I'd want to stay armored up underneath and that would kind of defeat the purpose. I don't know why anyone would want to wear black and gray colors on a motorcycle or Spyder. It's like camouflage so other drivers don't see you. No thanks.
    Okay. Maybe heated jacket liner is the way to go then.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-06-2018 at 02:24 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Start with good quality textile gear like Aerostitch, First Gear, Olympia, and Klim. A jacket with liner and overpants, with or without liners, should keep you warm on most winter days. On your RT I would think you would do okay with just adding heated jacket liners for really cold days, I found that the fairing on the RT did a good job of keeing my legs and hands protected. Another nice thing to have are Baker Air Wings, they really help to block the cold air.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

right now and for the next few months my main concern is keeping warm at work

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    right now and for the next few months my main concern is keeping warm at work
    You can always buy a battery operated heated jacket. My shop maintenance guy wears one all winter. That, or you could move to a warmer climate.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Don't forget the double heated "jock strap". Never leave home without it.

I use the Gerber heated Jacket liner, heated pants and sometimes heated gloves when needed. The original heated motorcycle gear out of near Tumwater WA. I visited there shop years ago when they were in the developing stage and used only there garage. Over the past thirty years I have purchased a lot of there gear and was never disappointed. Nothing like buying direct from the inventer of heated M/C gear.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Don't forget the double heated "jock strap". Never leave home without it.

I use the Gerber heated Jacket liner, heated pants and sometimes heated gloves when needed. The original heated motorcycle gear out of near Tumwater WA. I visited there shop years ago when they were in the developing stage and used only there garage. Over the past thirty years I have purchased a lot of there gear and was never disappointed. Nothing like buying direct from the inventer of heated M/C gear.

Jack
    Gerber makes good knives. Are they related?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Gerber makes good knives. Are they related?
    I doubt it Pete. They were the original inventors of heated M/C clothing. They lived about thirty miles from me in WA state. Nice folks. They sold out to a large company in NC. In doing so there were some problems because the new company had manufacturing done in the Orient. Gerbing had to wait so many years before they could start up again and have done so. It is a family business. If I am not mistaken I think First Gear was the company that bought them out.As mentioned above Gordon is one of the sons and they are now selling under the name of "Gordon".

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    I doubt it Pete. They were the original inventors of heated M/C clothing. They lived about thirty miles from me in WA state. Nice folks. They sold out to a large company in NC. In doing so there were some problems because the new company had manufacturing done in the Orient. Gerbing had to wait so many years before they could start up again and have done so. It is a family business. If I am not mistaken I think First Gear was the company that bought them out.As mentioned above Gordon is one of the sons and they are now selling under the name of "Gordon".

Jack
    That's interesting. All this time I thought the Europeans (Germans) started the whole heated gear thing.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's a 20% off for Bohn Body Armor, which provides protection where you want it, without requiring bulky outer clothing. https://www.bohnarmor.com/?utm_sourc...eid=faaa6e4b3b
    2014 RTL Platinum