Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How much you made when you where younger compared to today

Let's see. In 1991 I was a Staff Sergent in the Air Force making around 22K. In today's dollars that comes to 40K. Putting that in modern perspective, I was poor as a church mouse.

http://www.in2013dollars.com/
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I started at $3.89 in 1969 and that figures to $26.80 which is ballpark for what the job is paying today.

Spyder Garage

I think there are plenty of people out there that wish they were making $40000. I guess that means there are lot of church mice out there.

Spyder Garage

Hi Rogue Hawk,

Re: In 1991 I was a Staff Sergent in the Air Force making around 22K.

In 1963 I was promoted to E-4 in the Air Force; then it was called Airman First Class & today, I think, it is called Sergeant. I made $190/month = $2280/year.

Times, they are a'changin'.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

$1.85 an hour: working construction while in High School...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow, I was rich and didn't know it. I was the janitor for my (very rural) one room school when I was in grade school. I swept the floor, cleaned the bathrooms and mopped their floors every school day. Put out the garbage and dusted and cleaned the blackboards everyday, and mopped the class room floor and cleaned the windows once a week. I received a paycheck once a month from the school district for $14.00. If I recall that is in or around 1952 or 53.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I think there are plenty of people out there that wish they were making $40000. I guess that means there are lot of church mice out there.
    Well, it's relative. I'm in a high cost of living area and live alone. I don't live extravagantly. I own a small condo in a decent area. If I was making 40K I would be in trouble. Also, rent for a small studio apartment in Chicago is over $600 a month. We also have high sales tax, 9%.

If I lived in Arkansas 40K would be just fine.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

1964; graduated high school. First full time job--- 45 hrs per week, take home pay---$42.00. Rent, car payment, insurance payment, girlfriend payment, gasoline @ $.25/gal, motorcycle payment, fun payments. Not much room for error!

Spyder Garage

I started at Safeway in 1969 at $3.25 an hour. The union took $0.25 of that whether I liked it or not. When union rules kept me from promoting in 1970, I decided to quit and go to work for the fire department (CDF at the time. Now Cal-Fire). There I got $375.00 a month for a 120 hour work week. That figured out to about $0.75 an hour. But you were getting paid for sleeping, eating, etc. With that kind of work week and days off canceled for fires. You didn't have much chance to spend any of it. So at the end of a 9 month season. Most of us still had pretty much all we had made over the summer. Collect a few months of unemployment and do it all over again. I only had to do it once before getting a permanent job. But most did it at least 3 times before either quitting or moving up.

Overtime was paid in time off when it rained. Usually with no notice. You got up at 0630 and the captain said, 'It's raining! You're off today'. You had until 0800 hours to get out.

Most stations were remote and not everyone had wheels. If you opted to stay at the station you still had to work (though you didn't have to go to fires. But then... it was raining). But your time sheet still showed you 'Off Duty'. You could step off the property and thumb a ride or whatever. But you'd better be able to get back when assigned.

Those were definitely the days to remember...
    Last edited by BajaRon; 12-05-2018 at 05:07 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

When I was young, I went away to a summer dude ranch camp for a couple of weeks each summer. This was a co-ed camp/ranch. The summer I was 14 years old, I worked at the ranch all summer for room and board. Bucked hay, dug fence posts, laid sprinkler pipe, and chased girls who came to camp for a couple of weeks at a time. I was in heaven. A new bunch of lovely young ladies every couple of weeks. The following summer I got "promoted" and helped take the "campers" on horse back rides. The group of campers were broken down by age into 6-7 groups and we would take each group on an hours ride each day. So in addition to riding with the kids 6-7 hours I also took care of the horses prior to and after the daily rides were done. Still zero dollar income. But, at the end of summer, the owners took me into town, bought me new boots, hat and a couple of shirts. Then the biggest surprise came. They cut me a check for $300.00 ($100.00 for each month) told me the horse I had been riding all summer was now "mine". The next summer, they actually put me on the official payroll and in addition to R&B I got paid $200.00 per month. On weekends we often went to and participated in local rodeos. So, I was an Urban kid working at the local grocery store during the school year and a cowboy living the life during the summers. I continued to work at the ranch for each summer including the summer after graduating from HS. I have no idea the value of that in todays dollars. But the experience, life-long friends and memories are priceless.
    Last edited by canamjhb; 12-05-2018 at 06:22 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    When I was young, I went away to a summer dude ranch camp for a couple of weeks each summer. This was a co-ed camp/ranch. The summer I was 14 years old, I worked at the ranch all summer for room and board. Bucked hay, dug fence posts, laid sprinkler pipe, and chased girls who came to camp for a couple of weeks at a time. I was in heaven. A new bunch of lovely young ladies every couple of weeks. The following summer I got "promoted" and helped take the "campers" on horse back rides. The group of campers were broken down by age into 6-7 groups and we would take each group on an hours ride each day. So in addition to riding with the kids 6-7 hours I also took care of the horses prior to and after the daily rides were done. Still zero dollar income. But, at the end of summer, the owners took me into town, bought me new boots, hat and a couple of shirts. Then the biggest surprise came. They cut me a check for $300.00 ($100.00 for each month) told me the horse I had been riding all summer was now "mine". The next summer, they actually put me on the official payroll and in addition to R&B I got paid $200.00 per month. On weekends we often went to and participated in local rodeos. So, I was an Urban kid working at the local grocery store during the school year and a cowboy living the life during the summers. I continued to work at the ranch for each summer including the summer after graduating from HS. I have no idea the value of that in todays dollars. But the experience, life-long friends and memories are priceless.
    Now in a couple of months you'll be back on your spyder living it up again. Much luck in recovery.

Spyder Garage

1967 $1.30 at hardware store.1972 $3.33 as new mason apprentice.Was a great job for over 40 years.Retired but still get to use my skills to help friends and family!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Considering the extras like totally free medical, housing and food it sure seems like a comfortable income.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    Well, it's relative. I'm in a high cost of living area and live alone. I don't live extravagantly. I own a small condo in a decent area. If I was making 40K I would be in trouble. Also, rent for a small studio apartment in Chicago is over $600 a month. We also have high sales tax, 9%.

If I lived in Arkansas 40K would be just fine.
    I think your observations are very astute. It does depend a lot on where you live. But you aren't telling the whole story. The military does not live on their basic military pay alone.

The biggest factor you omitted was the "basic allowance for housing" or BAH. If your Staff Sergeant was living in Chicago zip code 60007, he/she would be drawing $1929 per month as BAH (with dependents) or only $1608 (without dependents). However, the BAH would only be $1110 for Bentonville, AR or $855 without dependents. Thus it does depend greatly on where you live, but regardless, it's still very significant when you stack it up against the base pay you cited. There is also the "basic allowance for subsistence" (BAH) which is an additional $369 per month. Then there's the fact that both BAH and BAS are completely tax-exempt. People don't realize this but these two nontaxable items can make the difference between poverty and doing pretty well.

Then there are other factors, such as the fact your Staff Sergeant today would be getting these benefits without the need for a college degree. He or she will, however, get the full GI benefit which will ultimately pay most of the cost for said college degree. He or she will also enjoy completely free medical and dental care for himself/herself and his/her family. He or she will be able to retire with a very nice lifetime pension after 20 years of active duty. If said Staff Sergeant had enlisted at 18, he/she would be retired and drawing a lifetime pension at the ripe old age of 38, also with lifetime medical benefits. How many civilians get a deal like that?

Our military earns its pay. But let's not pretend the military is suffering financially. The ones who suffer the most financially are those in combat zones. Incredible as it sounds, the "imminent danger pay" is only $225 a month for serving in combat zones. We give everybody in the military an annual pay raise, including the guy who's a pay clerk working garrison duty M-F 7:30-4:30 at Fort Leonard Wood, but we give the guys risking their necks a measly $225 a month? That's criminal.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought it was 10.25% now for tax in our free spending city

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I started working for the VA, I needed to Find out what my pay was for the 3 years 9 months and 4 days that I was in in the Air Force and the grand total was $8,844.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

In the navy in 1968 as an E2, made $102/month.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

First job out of school at age 18 in 1958 was as a roughneck on an oil rig at $1,75 per hour. It was big money back then as you could buy a new Chev car for $1,800.00.
    Times have sure changed but I dont know if there is much of a change when you figure wages and costs today.
    Rogerl
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    I think your observations are very astute. It does depend a lot on where you live. But you aren't telling the whole story. The military does not live on their basic military pay alone.

The biggest factor you omitted was the "basic allowance for housing" or BAH. If your Staff Sergeant was living in Chicago zip code 60007, he/she would be drawing $1929 per month as BAH (with dependents) or only $1608 (without dependents). However, the BAH would only be $1110 for Bentonville, AR or $855 without dependents. Thus it does depend greatly on where you live, but regardless, it's still very significant when you stack it up against the base pay you cited. There is also the "basic allowance for subsistence" (BAH) which is an additional $369 per month. Then there's the fact that both BAH and BAS are completely tax-exempt. People don't realize this but these two nontaxable items can make the difference between poverty and doing pretty well.

Then there are other factors, such as the fact your Staff Sergeant today would be getting these benefits without the need for a college degree. He or she will, however, get the full GI benefit which will ultimately pay most of the cost for said college degree. He or she will also enjoy completely free medical and dental care for himself/herself and his/her family. He or she will be able to retire with a very nice lifetime pension after 20 years of active duty. If said Staff Sergeant had enlisted at 18, he/she would be retired and drawing a lifetime pension at the ripe old age of 38, also with lifetime medical benefits. How many civilians get a deal like that?

Our military earns its pay. But let's not pretend the military is suffering financially. The ones who suffer the most financially are those in combat zones. Incredible as it sounds, the "imminent danger pay" is only $225 a month for serving in combat zones. We give everybody in the military an annual pay raise, including the guy who's a pay clerk working garrison duty M-F 7:30-4:30 at Fort Leonard Wood, but we give the guys risking their necks a measly $225 a month? That's criminal.

Actually, I did take into account BAS and BAH. Also, BAH (Then called BAQ) at that time was not dependent on where you where stationed. Yes, there are benefits that are difficult to calculate, like medical and taxes. So I did not take that into account. You could compare military medical to an HMO plan. But I have no idea what an HMO cost in 1991. Also, there was no GI bill. It was replaced by VEAP, which I had to contribute $75 a month for a total of $2700 to get a future benefit of $8100.
    Last edited by Rogue Hawk; 12-06-2018 at 12:20 PM.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Ah well....

After checking .... I was poor then and now that I am on SS I am even poorer... But life has been good so can't complain...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You were RICH... when I went into the Navy in 1959 I made $76.00 a day.... once a month...
    that is about $2.53 a day or $912.00 a year....after boot camp at an E2 i got a raise WOW
    I then got $84.60 a day, once a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    Let's see. In 1991 I was a Staff Sergent in the Air Force making around 22K. In today's dollars that comes to 40K. Putting that in modern perspective, I was poor as a church mouse.

http://www.in2013dollars.com/

Spyder Garage

Hi SpyderConvert,

Re: the 3 years 9 months and 4 days that I was in in the Air Force

3 years 10 months 24 days in the Air Force for me.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) And those years paid off nicely: Gi Bill while in college & added to my employment as a fed. Plus got a state GI Bill mortgage on my first house. And the best part: I grew up while in the military.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    You were RICH... when I went into the Navy in 1959 I made $76.00 a day.... once a month...
    that is about $2.53 a day or $912.00 a year....after boot camp at an E2 i got a raise WOW
    I then got $84.60 a day, once a month.
    Yep, that's what I remember. When the military went all-volunteer after I got out, pay went up substantially. Not that much of a financial sacrifice to serve these days.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

No, not really. After I retired from the Army, I went to work for GM. I made more $ in 4 years with GM than I made in 22 years in the Army. If the comparison is service vs no job, service wins. No one gets rich in the Service; that’s not why we serve. Young troops with kids qualify for food stamps!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system