Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default a Ryker for 2up & a lot of luggage ??

Hi,

after a 2 years "brake" we are able to restart with 3 wheels in the new Saisons - my plan is a little more "adventure" machine than our old RT ..
    (I getting retired end of the year!)

the new Ryker 900 is technically soo brilliant for me and it sould be strong enough for our tours but ..

we need a much lower komfortable seat for the passenger (my Girl) and a possibility to fix a topcase or so, the idea is to change the frame which holds the seat to the lowest possible position ..shouldn`t be an expensive problem ???

on the end it should look like this chinese unit....

Quadro-trike.JPGRyker-JagE.jpg

any ideas ???
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi, I've done a fair amount of successful " fabricating " in my time. ( I designed & made the ONLY shock angle change for the 1330 frame among other things ). so I see where you want to go with this. IMHO the first think you must determine is EXACTLY how far up that rear wheel can possibly move …..That will be your maximum limit as far as lowering the seat. You could probably go within a 1/4 in ( 6mm ? ) of the maximum and be safe, because the rear wouldn't ride at that distance most of the time. So there will be clearance for mud /debris etc. ………...Good on you - please keep us posted with your progress …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    Hi,

after a 2 years "brake" we are able to restart with 3 wheels in the new Saisons - my plan is a little more "adventure" machine than our old RT ..
    (I getting retired end of the year!)

the new Ryker 900 is technically soo brilliant for me and it sould be strong enough for our tours but ..

we need a much lower komfortable seat for the passenger (my Girl) and a possibility to fix a topcase or so, the idea is to change the frame which holds the seat to the lowest possible position ..shouldn`t be an expensive problem ???

on the end it should look like this chinese unit....

Quadro-trike.JPGRyker-JagE.jpg

any ideas ???
    GO FOR IT. When GS/ SM5 came out in 2008, that is exactly what we did. Basic machine, add fairing, better seat, saddle bags, trunk, etc. At that time there were a FEW BRP add on parts, Corbin jumped in with some good stuff, and aftermarket stuff (though few and far between) was found.

I do think the aftermarket stuff for RYKER will be more plentiful, quicker. Time will tell. Please keep us posted.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hello All, I just got back from a Ryker showing and may be able to help. To start with, I’m about 250lbs. and with me sitting on the Rally Edition with about a 160 lbs passenger, the suspension in the rear was bottomed out. The Rally has the KYB shocks that are adj. and I believe I would be able to make it work just fine as the factory setting was set soft. The problem was the seat was very close to the tire. So if you lower the seat much you may run into clearance issues. Hope this helps. Cueman

Spyder Garage

I would not use the Ryker for a turing machine like the way you want to use it you'd be far better off getting an F3T or F3L. The Ryker will not handle that much weight on it for any kind of distance.
    That's like trying to pull a large camping trailer with an F-150 with the four cylinder in it sure it might do it for a while but it won't take long to destroy it.

Spyder Garage

For curiosity, I pulled up the Specifications for the Ryker. The Specs. show dry weight but do not include GVWR. But for capacity they show only one passenger. Maybe someone has seen what the weight carrying capacity is.....? I think that could be a critical and deciding factor to determine suitabilty for your needs. Good luck.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default Not looking good....

Not sure you could swing it all. Adding the luggage space should be doable not sure on the other. Now the interesting thing will be to see who comes up with a trailer hitch for the ryker or if you can or are allowed to tow one...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The Max weight is 449 Lbs for the Non-Rally and 438 Lbs for the Rally (From the User Manual) An Average American couple probably couldn't even ride 2 Up in todays world?
    I would suggest getting 2 600 Rykers OR 1 600 and 1 900 and with the side bag (9 Gallons) and if you added a aftermarket bag to the max mount instead of that 6 Gallon container they charge you a arm and a leg for you could travel Very Nice and Communicate with each other (Or Not) via Bluetooth stuff. Both enjoy the Fun as 2 600s would be less than the average Spyder!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    I would not use the Ryker for a turing machine like the way you want to use it you'd be far better off getting an F3T or F3L. The Ryker will not handle that much weight on it for any kind of distance.
    That's like trying to pull a large camping trailer with an F-150 with the four cylinder in it sure it might do it for a while but it won't take long to destroy it.
    somewhat the Ryker is more for in town errands / commute & maybe some sporty off-road play, but not for touring. You want to enjoy your toure not endure it.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    Hello All, I just got back from a Ryker showing and may be able to help. To start with, I’m about 250lbs. and with me sitting on the Rally Edition with about a 160 lbs passenger, the suspension in the rear was bottomed out. The Rally has the KYB shocks that are adj. and I believe I would be able to make it work just fine as the factory setting was set soft. The problem was the seat was very close to the tire. So if you lower the seat much you may run into clearance issues. Hope this helps. Cueman
    it`s all a question about the weight - together with my Girl /Helmets / Jackets and so on we reach 330lbs !!! so we can use 100lbs for the luggage -
    seems the Ryker is more for lightweight ryders
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Yes to those who state that weight will be a factor. Two up may not be a good idea for the average sized persons these days.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default touring

It won't be the first light weight touring bike on the road. I will be using it for solo touring can't wait.

Spyder Garage

Let us know how that all works out. First thing to find is a "Large" windshield. Second is a doable seat and third would be a space for luggage

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With enough money: you can certainly turn it into a fairly decent two-up tourer...
    But for probably not a whole lot more money: you can buy an excellent tourer (The RT...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Don't want a RT. Have a 2016 F3T. No larger windshield. Stock seat fine. No more luggage. Want a sport bike not a RV.
    Last edited by KID Ryker; 12-04-2018 at 07:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    With enough money: you can certainly turn it into a fairly decent two-up tourer...
    But for probably not a whole lot more money: you can buy an excellent tourer (The RT...)
    You took the words right out of my mouth Bob!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I understand wanting luggage on your ride. Have never had a bike or Spyder without.
    As was mentioned above, the Ryker was not developed to be a touring ride. I expect it could be a great solo tourer though, but without adding too much crap.
    Many will make it work for them as has been done with lots of non-touring motorcycles.
    A trailer hitch is probably a bad idea. I don't see the CVT trans being the best for pulling a trailer. If you need that, get a Spyder which are made for it. So you ad a trailer hitch and what follows is all the bitching about not enough power to pull a trailer. It isn't designed for that.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

thanks - my first Spyder GS had around the same payload capacity (440 lbs) - I got one of the first GIVI Racks from Canada and we used it as a perfect tourer here in the alps for two years ....

the Spyker has really everything now which was on my "wishlist" - the seat and the cases will not be that problem
    (I plan to install a seat-frame from a bike (BMW ?) where I also could use the original Givi-holders for this Modell)

10 Years ago - spyderlovers-live:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The best of luck to you with this project!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Need to use some imagination...

82609791.jpg
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Went to look ar RT's and ended up looking at F3 / Ryker seems to fit better. The wife sat on 900 Ryker so now I have to cheat on my taxes. Let me know how this turned or is turning out. Interesting.... I may end up just sharing hers since the controls adjust.
    Whats weird you cant find these used and if you do they want the same as a new one.
    Looking for a 2014+ LT White

Spyder Garage

so now we reach the 10.000 miles without any Problems .. would buy it once again !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Harley's Sportster was not made for touring, but for sport and yet I have seen plenty of two ups and touring. If you want the Ryker for a tour bike, then DO IT. There is nothing that stops one from using their imagination and ingenuity. As for pulling a trailer, I see NO problem. A bicycle trailer will work. The one wheel type with a little modification and hold a lot of gear. I can see why you would not want a Spyder. I did not even consider one. The only reason for my switch from my two wheeler to the Ryker was the feeling that I was ALMOST still on a motorcycle AND the fact that my clutch hand needs multiple surgeries. I totally agree with you on your wishing to stay with the Ryker. I am looking at doing modifications so that I can carry some light gear on it and I do not want a large box on the back. I plan to utilize a luggage rack for strapping stuff to the back AND saddle bags. I would rather carry via saddle bags than a luggage box, but that is just MY preference.
    To tell you the truth, I do not see how you will lower the passenger seat, because of the movement of the back wheel. IF you could find a VERY stiff spring and shock, you might be able to lower the rear seat but the ride would be quite a bit harder and uncomfortable. But, I am sure you can figure out a work around. Many folks like being higher on the rear so that they can enjoy the scenery in front.
    I envy you, because my wife hasn't been riding with me in decades and I was hoping that with the three wheeler, she would. She might eventually, but right now she has trouble climbing UP on the back. She used to love riding around the country on the back of my two wheelers when we were both young.
    Don't listen to those that tell you that you CAN'T do something. If you have a wish to make something happen, it can be done. Many answers have come from this forum from what I can see in the short time I have been on here.

Folks, he does NOT want a Spider. He wants to make his Ryker work for him. Respect that.

Good luck and keep us posted on your ideas because there are probably others on here wanting to do the same thing. I do like the idea of a lower passenger seat position, so if you get any ideas please pass them on.

Spyder Garage

Ryker 2.jpg Ryker 1.jpg

I made mine sort of a touring ryker. I ride with my wife from time to time and it handles the weight fantastic, even at highway speeds (80+mph) granted we weight together around 315lbs + 40 to 50lbs in cases and the racks made. I know we are under the limit. I did installed an Elka rear shock and a backrest for the driver. I have to agree with others that the ryker seems to drive better with more weight on it. When I added the side saddle bags It felt like more planted or more stable to me. A real blast to ride. I love this machine.

PS. I am waiting for a Madstad windshield I ordered. Is gonna feel even better with a larger windshield.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TNRyker View Post
    Ryker 2.jpg Ryker 1.jpg

I made mine sort of a touring ryker. I ride with my wife from time to time and it handles the weight fantastic, even at highway speeds (80+mph) granted we weight together around 315lbs + 40 to 50lbs in cases and the racks made. I know we are under the limit. I did installed an Elka rear shock and a backrest for the driver. I have to agree with others that the ryker seems to drive better with more weight on it. When I added the side saddle bags It felt like more planted or more stable to me. A real blast to ride. I love this machine.

PS. I am waiting for a Madstad windshield I ordered. Is gonna feel even better with a larger windshield.
    How did you attach the saddlebags? who makes the saddlebags? who makes the backrest? If you custom made the bracket you would mind sharing the how to steps? Where does the saddlebag mounts bolt on to? If you can share the link thanks.