Spyder Garage

Default My crashed Ninja

It happen in late September. It started raining and the temperature dropped fast. The street looked like glass. So I was turning through an intersection when the rear wheel started skidding. The traction control kicked and and set the bike upright. The problem with that is then my turn was too wide. I hit a curb and went flying. I broke four ribs and my ankle. MC jackets don't have rib protection. But it did save me from a broken arm. I had upgraded the elbow armor to level 2 Force Field. I also did not break my knee because I was wearing Dianese shin\knee guards. There was a huge gash on my visor. If I was wearing an open face helmet my face would be gone now. If I was not wearing an helmet, like so many HD riders in Illinois do, I would not be writing this.

The bike got the worst of it and was totaled.

1.jpg2.jpg5.jpg
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Let's be grateful you are still here to tell us about it. Get well soon.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about the bike: glad that you survived to tell the story!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default ooouch!!!

Wearing the right gear is major ... glad you had good protection and the damage was not critical... to you that is can't help the bike
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    It happen in late September. It started raining and the temperature dropped fast. The street looked like glass. So I was turning through an intersection when the rear wheel started skidding. The traction control kicked and and set the bike upright. The problem with that is then my turn was too wide. I hit a curb and went flying. I broke four ribs and my ankle. MC jackets don't have rib protection. But it did save me from a broken arm. I had upgraded the elbow armor to level 2 Force Field. I also did not break my knee because I was wearing Dianese shin\knee guards. There was a huge gash on my visor. If I was wearing an open face helmet my face would be gone now. If I was not wearing an helmet, like so many HD riders in Illinois do, I would not be writing this.

The bike got the worst of it and was totaled.

1.jpg2.jpg5.jpg
    Did you learn anything from this experience?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get well soon.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the support, guys. I am pretty much healed up. So what did I learn? Well, when I went at work the weather was fine. It turned ugly really fast just before I left. It was also not in the forecast for the day. So when I get a new two wheeler, I won't ride it to work. I will only take the Ryker. Also, I will avoid riding in the rain on two wheels in general. I also find I had a hole in my protection. My ribs are exposed. I was fortunate the bone did not puncture the lung, so it's a serious concern. So for the short term, I bought a stand alone back protector that has some rib protection. The long term solution is to buy a jacket with a built in air bag. Alpine Stars and Dianese have them.

Back protector
    https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/a...tor-black-red/

Dianese Air Bag
    https://www.dainese.com/us/en/corporate/d-air/road/

Alpine Stars Air Bag
    https://www.alpinestars.com/products/adventure-touring
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Glad it wasn't any worse.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Rogue Hawk,

First, I’ m glad that you are okay.

I have read most of your posts since you became a member. I believe in the past you have mentioned purchasing a back protector, chest protector, knee protectors, and elbow protectors, and one of those air bag jackets. I’m talking like earlier in the year when you mentioned those items, and I also remember you talking about high side crashes, and I thought you were kind of fixated on getting into an accident. Did you actually purchase all those items, or were you just thinking of purchasing at the time? In any case, like I said, I’m glad to hear you healed and are okay.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Rogue Hawk,

First, I’ m glad that you are okay.

I have read most of your posts since you became a member. I believe in the past you have mentioned purchasing a back protector, chest protector, knee protectors, and elbow protectors, and one of those air bag jackets. I’m talking like earlier in the year when you mentioned those items, and I also remember you talking about high side crashes, and I thought you were kind of fixated on getting into an accident. Did you actually purchase all those items, or were you just thinking of purchasing at the time? In any case, like I said, I’m glad to hear you healed and are okay.

I was wearing all of it for the crash except the air bag vest. It's uncomfortable, it rides up and pushes against my neck. That is why I am looking at jackets with integrated air vests. For the jacket I was wearing, I upgraded the elbow, shoulder and back protector to CE level 2 and added a chest protector. It did save me from a broken arm. I landed arm first. I was also wearing a full faced helmet, race gloves, Dianese boots, Dianese shin\knee guards, and kevlar pants. I broke four ribs and got a hairline fracture to my ankle. I did not have rib protectors because I never heard anyone stress the need. But I will have it now with my new back protector.
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like your research into the best safety gear: please keep us in the loop!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was wearing all of it for the crash except the air bag vest. It's uncomfortable, it rides up and pushes against my neck. That is why I am looking at jackets with integrated air vests. For the jacket I was wearing, I upgraded the elbow, shoulder and back protector to CE level 2 and added a chest protector. It did save me from a broken arm. I landed arm first. I was also wearing a full faced helmet, race gloves, Dianese boots, Dianese shin\knee guards, and kevlar pants. I broke four ribs and got a hairline fracture to my ankle. I did not have rib protectors because I never heard anyone stress the need. But I will have it now with my new back protector.
    Would you say that, except for the helmet, none of the other STANDARD protective gear most riders wear really protected your body from serious injury in this particular instance?
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-07-2018 at 02:43 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Would you say that, except for the helmet, none of the other STANDARD protective gear most riders wear really protected your body from serious injury in this particular instance?
    What most riders wear would only be good in a slow speed crash, like under 20 mph. I broke my ankle while wearing $400 race boots. Imagine anything less? The Force Field armor is made to a higher standard. FF only does protectors, nothing else. That is why I try to replace the stock stuff with it. It generally exceeds level 2. I had on FF elbow, shoulder and back protector. No injuries in those areas. I also wear shin\knee guards. I think I am the only one in the state of IL that does that. I did impact my knee. So no damage there.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

The amount of armor you wear you should get a tank .You say you will not ride in the rain ,good luck with that .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you are healing up well.

I see so many riders with minimal to no protection. I cringe when I see someone ride past with shorts, T-shirt and running shoes. These people have obviously been lucky to never had a crash on their bikes. I had one just after I got my first bike over 30 years ago. I always ride with full gear, but just because someone has full gear does not make them invincible. No amount of gear will make you as safe a you would be in a car. We do a dangerous sport and all we can do is try to minimize the danger. I have always told my wife to ride like the other drivers are trying to kill her.
    Obviously, your accident was due to road conditions and riding a little more cautiously may have prevented the accident, but that is in the past. Don't try to load up on safety gear to give yourself a sense of security. It won't help you if you get run over by a truck. You just need to be more aware of the surrounding and conditions. The extra gear is always good though. As long as it does not hinder you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    Glad to hear that you are healing up well.

I see so many riders with minimal to no protection. I cringe when I see someone ride past with shorts, T-shirt and running shoes. These people have obviously been lucky to never had a crash on their bikes. I had one just after I got my first bike over 30 years ago. I always ride with full gear, but just because someone has full gear does not make them invincible. No amount of gear will make you as safe a you would be in a car. We do a dangerous sport and all we can do is try to minimize the danger. I have always told my wife to ride like the other drivers are trying to kill her.
    Obviously, your accident was due to road conditions and riding a little more cautiously may have prevented the accident, but that is in the past. Don't try to load up on safety gear to give yourself a sense of security. It won't help you if you get run over by a truck. You just need to be more aware of the surrounding and conditions. The extra gear is always good though. As long as it does not hinder you.
    Oh, I am well aware gear won't protect 100%. Crash dynamics can happen in a million different ways. One can't prepare for all of them. I accept the risks. If someone does not have the balls to deal with that, then stay home or take up badminton.
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    The amount of armor you wear you should get a tank .You say you will not ride in the rain ,good luck with that .
    He rides a 2-wheeler, where road rash protection is far more important than for Spyder riders, I believe.

As he states, normal protective gear is of little use in a 'crash' at any speed above 20 mph.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Oh, I am well aware gear won't protect 100%. Crash dynamics can happen in a million different ways. One can't prepare for all of them. I accept the risks. If someone does not have the balls to deal with that, then stay home or take up badminton.
    So, does this mean the more gear you wear, the smaller the balls you have? Excuse me, let me restate another way: The more gear you wear, the less you are willing to accept the risks, and once again, the smaller the balls you have.

Spyder Garage

So, does this mean the more gear you wear, the smaller the balls you have? Excuse me, let me restate another way: The more gear you wear, the less you are willing to accept the risks, and once again, the smaller the balls you have.
    I am talking about risk acceptance in general, not how much gear one wears.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I have also road two wheeler for 50 years and never wore that amount of armor .Good boots,jacket gloves and leather pants or slider jeans .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's all about risk tolerance and risk mitigation. Anything else is ignorant bravado. In my opinion, of course.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    It's all about risk tolerance and risk mitigation. Anything else is ignorant bravado. In my opinion, of course.
    You are back to making sense again, finally.

Spyder Garage

Regardless...I am a believer in a good helmet. My brother was involved in a major accident while driving his brand new HD. No helmet or major gear. He suffered a TBI and was in the hospital and close to death for months. He is living a "semi normal" life now--but the TBI is a known thing with some of his actions.

I have always and will continue to ride with a helmet and other gear. It has nothing to do about "testicles" IMO. Common sense comes to mind here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

I have always and will continue to ride with a helmet and other gear. It has nothing to do about "testicles" IMO. Common sense comes to mind here.
    You are correct, and it also has nothing to do with whether you ride a motorcycle or not; just inflated ego B.S.