Spyder Garage

Default GPS mount picts please

My wife is trying to decide on the different GPS mounts for her 2018 F3 limited. She is mainly considering the BRP mount vs the Lamonster mount but the pictures are lacking the clarity for her to make a decision.

If you have these mounts could you please post some pictures?

Thank you
    John

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What are you trying to do? There are many considerations as to the best solution.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

if you are working with the ram ball mounting system there are endless possibilities.... Here are two I use on my RS

20160322_083746.jpg 20160322_083854.jpg
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Garmin Zumo 590 using Lamonster mount.
    AB87E417-8423-4EAF-89D6-4B0C6B6FD9C3.jpg
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have a RAM x-grip mount on the handlebar.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

F3 garmin.jpg

I like mine mounted on the bars up high so I am not so distracted looking down - ram mount w/Garmin .
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the pictures. She has decided to just put the handlebar mount on for the 590 and see how that goes. She did like the Lamonster mount as it appeared to be lower and not block the dash but after seeing some pictures and it did appear to block some of the guages she wants to wait to see some in person now.

Cannot thank all of you who posted pictures enough. Now I am off to the garage to wire in the harness.

John

Spyder Garage

am I missing something ? Why don't more people use their phones as GPS ? For me my phone goes everywhere I go and it's most up to date with live traffic and you can always download offline maps at your fingertips. plus nowdays there are so many options for mounts. This is my quick connect/disconnect wireless mount:

2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Spyder Garage

Good question. For us we sometimes travel in areas that we loose phone reception and that has proven to be a problem. IN the past we have also had issues with older phones heating up. Currently my wife was using BRP connect and it would quit at the most inopportune time (ie when we needed to make a road change and it would quit on the freeway). I know many have had no issues with their phones but this has not been our case. We have never had an issue with any of our Garmins.

John

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donhy View Post
    am I missing something ? Why don't more people use their phones as GPS ? For me my phone goes everywhere I go and it's most up to date with live traffic and you can always download offline maps at your fingertips. plus nowdays there are so many options for mounts. This is my quick connect/disconnect wireless mount:
    If you do much traveling in the remote parts of the US, e.g. the Intermountain West, you'll soon discover why folks use their Garmins rather than phones. Besides lack of signal, you can also burn through a lot of data on your cell phone pretty fast using only your phone.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    If you do much traveling in the remote parts of the US, e.g. the Intermountain West, you'll soon discover why folks use their Garmins rather than phones. Besides lack of signal, you can also burn through a lot of data on your cell phone pretty fast using only your phone.
    Maybe I have not gone remote enough but as far GPS signal goes I could never find a difference between my built-in car navigation and my phone. And lot's of people tend to believe that phone gps uses data which is true in away but there lot's of navigation apps that let you go offline or you can just download google maps offline if you know were you are going which is what I do as I live in Canada and as soon as I cross the border my data goes off.
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Foam Hand Grip Covers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't understand why anyone would want to spend $$$ more on a Garmin GPS when they can get a used iPhone6 or better for half the price along with $40 Gamin app and a power cord to the phone with X-grip is all you need. It doesn't need cell service as the iPhone has a GPS antenna and the Garmin app uses downloaded map data.

I use an old iPhone 8 paired and connected to the dash on my 2018 RTL and my current working iPhone XsMax in the center of my handlebars powered by a USB charger right under it in amongst the switches. I pair my headset to it and enjoy SiriusXM, Waze and Garmin if I need it.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I don't understand why anyone would want to spend $$$ more on a Garmin GPS when they can get a used iPhone6 or better for half the price along with $40 Gamin app and a power cord to the phone with X-grip is all you need. It doesn't need cell service as the iPhone has a GPS antenna and the Garmin app uses downloaded map data.

I use an old iPhone 8 paired and connected to the dash on my 2018 RTL and my current working iPhone XsMax in the center of my handlebars powered by a USB charger right under it in amongst the switches. I pair my headset to it and enjoy SiriusXM, Waze and Garmin if I need it.
    Different strokes for different folks?

Seriously, the relative merits of phone-based vs dedicated appliance is WAY off topic. If you want to pursue this, please start a new thread rather than hijacking this one. Thanks.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-05-2018 at 12:26 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Here's my Zumo 450 on a RAM mount. The mount is under the bottom grip clamp with the ball facing forward and the RAM arm coming up in front of the handlebar. The unit below the GPS is the control panel for my MotoChello audio system; it's also attached to the same handlebar RAM mount as the mount is equipped with a second RAM ball for the purpose. I've tried the Sena offering for my Victory Cross Country and hated it, so went back to a more reliable wired unit. The Zumo audio is connected to the MotoChello, not the F3's audio system. I have complete versatility as far as which audio input I listen to and what priority each input receives. I prefer a high mounted GPS so I don't have to look down at it and take my eyes off the road.

My ancient Delphi Roady is mounted on Lamont's handlebar clamp using the standard Roady swivel mount.

I'm waiting for a set of Lamont's RAM equipped caps to arrive, then this setup will change but the GPS will stay in pretty much the same position. The Roady's swivel will be changed to Lamont's swivel setup, which will put the Roady closer to the handlebar clamp than the current RAM setup that it's mounted on.

Zumo 450 RAM Mount small.jpg
    Last edited by grumpyoldretiredcop; 12-05-2018 at 01:39 AM.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

Seriously, the relative merits of phone-based vs dedicated appliance is WAY off topic. If you want to pursue this, please start a new thread rather than hijacking this one. Thanks.
    We are not trying to hijack the post or go off topic. We are simply trying to save fellow riders some money. By providing some alertantives people may not be aware of as there are still lot of folks who think they need cell signal/data to use GPS on the phone which is untrue.
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Foam Hand Grip Covers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't get what you mean. The main question is adding a Garmin GPS to a 2018 that, with a smartphone, already has GPS built into the dash. Basically the things we are buying come with new technology but many still want to use older tech which doesn't seem right. I read a lot of riders want the new bike but don't want the new ways, they want keep to the old ways. The only reason I use two smartphones is I want SiriusXM radio and until it becomes available on BRP Connect, I'll use the system I have.

We should be continuing to learn the new technology as well as the new ways to do things. Continuing to learn and improve our experience with new technology will make it easier to use.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't get what you mean. The main question is adding a Garmin GPS to a 2018 that, with a smartphone, already has GPS built into the dash. Basically the things we are buying come with new technology but many still want to use older tech which doesn't seem right. I read a lot of riders want the new bike but don't want the new ways, they want keep to the old ways. The only reason I use two smartphones is I want SiriusXM radio and until it becomes available on BRP Connect, I'll use the system I have.

We should be continuing to learn the new technology as well as the new ways to do things. Continuing to learn and improve our experience with new technology will make it easier to use.
    I don't disagree, but that is not what the OP was asking.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't disagree, but that is not what the OP was asking.
    From the OP "My wife is trying to decide on the different GPS mounts for her 2018 F3 limited. She is mainly considering the BRP mount vs the Lamonster mount but the pictures are lacking the clarity for her to make a decision."

I read adding a Garmin to a 2018. I know of two others with 2018's and they spent more $$$$ adding something (the GPS) the bike already has. If you buy a 2018 and don't have a smartphone, not a good $$$ choice. I've learned over the years to more forward with the new bike rather than try and make it like my old one. It can get expensive. I always try to learn the new instead of changing it back to they way it was.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From the OP "My wife is trying to decide on the different GPS mounts for her 2018 F3 limited. She is mainly considering the BRP mount vs the Lamonster mount but the pictures are lacking the clarity for her to make a decision."

I read adding a Garmin to a 2018. I know of two others with 2018's and they spent more $$$$ adding something (the GPS) the bike already has. If you buy a 2018 and don't have a smartphone, not a good $$$ choice. I've learned over the years to more forward with the new bike rather than try and make it like my old one. It can get expensive. I always try to learn the new instead of changing it back to they way it was.
    Your response implies that you think you know more than the OP about what he 'should' be doing (rather than what he says he wants to do).
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-06-2018 at 12:25 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

http://www.canamspyderaccessories.co...m-mounts-misc/

Here is what we use. Scroll down to the bolt with the 1" ball for a Ram mount.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 12-06-2018 at 09:05 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Some people prefer stand alone GPS units.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Some people prefer stand alone GPS units.
    Exactly!
    2014 RTL Platinum