Spyder Garage

Default Brown dust on rear tire

2013 rt-s sm5.... first thought brake dust but it's on the drive belt side of the tire....brake side...nothing.....ideas?

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

Brown dust.... not a clue unless it is more to the red side of brown which could be from the engine pulley area transferred by the belt. I get a lot of black but never brown unless I have been on some dusty roads....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Have look at this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f67875iPuOg

The mechanic is diagnosing a "grumbling" sound near the front of the bike. Also, take a look at 11:12 mark. The mechanic shows what the front pulley looks like when the splines have failed, and the color of the dust.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, drive pulley failing is what came to my mind. Although, it seems to be more common on newer models.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I saw similar. I think the pulley bolt is $12 or so; pulley is decent price at cheapcycleparts.com. Mine (bolt) came with the yellow locktite already on it. I added blue. Some threads were getting wonky, and the bolt came out with little effort. Probably a good idea to replace regardless. Was a BRP tech bulletin on this to torque the bolt higher. I forget the final number, but my manual said 89ft/lbs. There are several good threads here on that bolt and pulley!

EDIT: On a 2008GS - so it happens to all bikes! A friends 2008GS sheared the bolt off, and the pulley took off in a field, lost forever! Also checking torque on my 2013 STL it wasn't right, replaced bolt even though it looked OK. For $12, not taking chances.
    Last edited by stevencovert; 12-03-2018 at 09:48 AM.

Spyder Garage

The video was informative....if I start hearing a sound I'll know what it is. The color could be rust... hopefully that could be from the bike setting for so long before I bought it ....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
    The video was informative....if I start hearing a sound I'll know what it is. The color could be rust... hopefully that could be from the bike setting for so long before I bought it ....
    It might be worth having it checked out; peace of mind.