Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Replacement keys from Can-AM; are they precut or blanks?

Over on the SpyderLovers Facebook page, there is someone who bought a used Spyder (don't know year or model) that only had one key. So, as a precautionary measure, she bought two blanks from a Can-Am dealer and had them 'cut' at an ACE hardware store, using her one original key as a template. Now, none of the keys, including the original, will fit into the ignition switch much less program using DESS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Can-Am dealer supposed to order precut keys that will fit the ignition? What has gone wrong here, do you think?

She lives in N.Carolina and the servicing dealer is Lake Norman Power Sports.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-02-2018 at 05:38 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

They only come blank, some dealers have the key cutter, but not all. When I purchased a new key from my dealer I had to take it to a different dealer to have it cut. After that I had my dealer program it. Sounds like the ACE hardware really messed this up if the original key doesn't work!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Here's the thing.... if you have the key code, small little tab with some numbers on it, you can get it pre cut or the dealer can cut it. Now depending on the year you can have the original key cloned but not after 2013. Now if the ACE hardware did not do this right he could have messed up the original. But she said it did not fit which makes it very strange. If the ones he made did not fit is one thing but the original should. Hope they find a solution otherwise its a whole new set up....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I believe there was a change from 2014 on up. Could be wrong. But when I needed a second key, bought a blank from the parts guy at the dealer. The pimply faced kid at the parts counter said they are all blanks and the only difference is when the service department codes them. So, I take the blank to the service department and they laugh at what the pimply faced kid told me. Off to ACE hardware to have it cut. They did it for free. Nice people. Back to dealer service department and key was coded. Only took a couple of minutes. But, the dealer wasn't as generous as the folks at ACE. They wanted money. Both keys work equally well..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

[SIZE=4]
    Keys for 2014 and up are totally different as far as the coding is concerned. All reputable dealers should know that by now but there is alway the few who do not. Between Coyote Power Sports and Ride Now we went through 4 new keys as the Dealer, Ride Now lost one of my original Keys. Ace kept cutting but could not program at the dealer. After a lot of grief we found the problem and had to special order from the factory.

Jack/SIZE]
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

2011 r-t ( place I purchased only had the 1 key ) purchased 2 extra keys , the dealer service guys gave me a reputable key service who specializes in programmable keys , ( although they can not program the key they know what to do with cutting new ones ) dealer programmed the keys and now I have 3 good ones ... https://youtu.be/7wEN2c9x8K0 <---- this is helpful , as why I bought 2 extra blanks !

Spyder Garage

The keys come as blanks. They must be cut to fit the ignition cylinder first and then can be programmed to the bike.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

As others have replied and mostly to sum up. All replacement OE keys for Spyders (except the new Ryker). Are uncut key blanks. That's why when you lose all your keys. In most cases you you need to replace the ignition switch with a new one that comes with keys that fit it. When you still have a working key. A replacement key blank can be cut, copying the working key. Keys for 2008 to 2013 have a different transponder chip in them then 2014 and later models. They are not compatible with each other. Spyder models 2008 to 2013 are programmed to accept the new key. Using one existing working key and a master key. If all keys are lost a new DESS module is required. 2014 and later models. The key blank has a dot stamped in the side. Otherwise they look exactly the same. The Spyder is programed to accept the new key using a laptop and BUDS software.

2018 F3 LIMITED