Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default possible purchase

Looking at a 2014 st limited.
    Seems that the rt and f3 are getting all the attention. In looking up road test/reviews etc there is very few. The ergos seem very similar to the rt but less weight.
    The limited st has all the equipment I need out of the box and the price< $10k at 16000 miles seems much more reasonable.
    I believe the 998 is plenty for me and the se5 looks like a good match.

How about some kuddos for the st

Thanks for your input
    ED

Spyder Garage

Default Choices, choices

Sounds like the ST fits your needs pretty well. Test rydes are a great Idea to see if it does work for you. The seating is the big difference and the ST was the middle of the road spyder to keep you sporty but comfy in the long ryde. I do like the 998 V-Twin and would not hesitate to go that route. The RT and F3 you see are the triple 1330 and they have the 6 speed transmission and maintenace is much less with a lower rpm. Budget is a big factor as well. Try to ryde them....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

What Gene said! I can't second strongly enough the test ride. In 2014 I test rode only the RT because I wanted the touring Spyder. The 50 mile test ride sold me it was the machine I wanted because, in addition to wanting the RT for myself, my wife occasionally rides and I knew the backrest and seating position would suit her well.

In addition to Gene's comments about the 998, I would offer that the big difference between the 1330 ACE engine, in addition to the six-speed gearbox, is the hydraulic clutch that locks up immediately on rolling on the throttle whereas the 998 has a centrifugal clutch that has to have the engine spun up over three grand to get full lock up. You must keep the V-twin revs up to avoid clutch damage whereas you can lug the 1330 allover town with no clutch damage. The 1330 has superior low end torque.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by delsurfin View Post
    Looking at a 2014 st limited.
    Seems that the rt and f3 are getting all the attention. In looking up road test/reviews etc there is very few. The ergos seem very similar to the rt but less weight.
    The limited st has all the equipment I need out of the box and the price< $10k at 16000 miles seems much more reasonable.
    I believe the 998 is plenty for me and the se5 looks like a good match.

How about some kuddos for the st

Thanks for your input
    ED
    I've bought two types of Spyders … two with the V-twin ( 998 ) and one RT with the 1330 eng. …… I wouldn't own a V-twin even if it was given to me, I'd sell it...…. Remember BRP No longer sells Spyders with the V-twin eng.- why do you think BRP has gone exclusively with the 1330 triple ( and I know the RYKER has new different engines - which aren't V-twins either ) …… good luck ………. Mike …………...PS

Spyder Garage

Great points by all.Clutch issues (or points) are something I was not aware of. Problem hers seems to be getting a test ride on any except the 2014 ST. Dealers all seem reluctant at best. Salesmen just don't seem like die hard riders.
    Maybe I need to chill out and sell how the market goes. I am lucky I have a great ride now but health issues are creeping up.
    Current ride is a 2013 Yamaha xvs1300 deluxe ,factory bags and gps, sirrus radio, and mp3 compatible

Spyder Garage

Look at the Ryker Rally or 900 - Brand New 10-11,000 with 2 year warranty?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I have both a 998 and a 1330. 1330 Wins hands down--IMO of course. BlueKnight is right when it comes to value etc. The discontinued 998 does effect the "sellers" price. But makes for a good "buyers" market. A good example of six of one, half dozen of the other.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Loved our (2013) STS although very happy we went with the 1330. Completely different, test ride strongly advised. If you go with the 998 just watch the oil level. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Great bike treat it well & it will do same in return loving mine just got up to 50k miles this year & I don't treat it as well as I should (not abused, just very laxed) yes watch the oil & keep some handy as well as brake fluid. Found RPM sweet spot is at 5550 for best MPG, hard to maintain in town but each town can be different. Of the 50k : 12states, 4 Spyderfest, 1 Spyders in the Hills, 1 Spyders on da Bayou, 2BIKES, BLUES BBQ,1 furthest point in conUS, all before trailer. And more on the way lots to see & do. With the floorboards its easy to adjust position while riding moving foot forward are al way back propping heal on the passanger boards
    plus the 14 will have the new side panels that mine does not have but is still rocking along. HIGHLEY reccomend SmoothSpyder backrest especially for trips test rides are great but often too short. Comments bout 1330's are spot on, 998 is NOT a bad motor either just takes getting used to & TLC. Lots to enjoy if you do get it.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

My wife had a STL, for about a year. Sold it because the ergonomics hurt her back, so we traded it for a F3S. I have a Goldwing Valkyrie and she would have to stop twice for gas for every once I needed gas. It was a hog on fuel. She has a F3 now and we both stop for gas at the same time now.
    One thing about the twins, the aftermarket exhausts sound sooooo much better than the F3. The F3 sounds like a chainsaw. Never could find a decent exhaust for it.
    I would pass on it, though. Especially, if there is no warranty possible for it.

Spyder Garage

...Salesmen just don't seem like die hard riders...
    The most important thing about a dealership, IMO, is the quality of the service. Spyders are very sophisticated machines in many respects and an owner needs a customer-oriented, top notch service dealership. If the salesmen aren't very knowledgeable and, again, customer-oriented it's time to consider traveling a bit to get the machine you want from a dealership that you have confidence in regarding your post purchase service requirements.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Delsurfin, the ST is a wonderful ride, the 998 VTwin has plenty of power and sounds great with an aftermarket exhaust.
    And the more mods I throw at it, the better it gets.
    I went out specifically looking for an ST, didn't want the mass of an RT and I need more wind protection than an RS.
    I also had Zero interest in any of the newer F3 Spyders.
    At your price point, the ST looks to be a good introduction to 3 wheeling. Dropping $25k+ on something you might not like seems overly risky.
    I'd suggest get a decent test ride on the '14 to see if it works for you.
    Good Luck
    2015 STS SE5 * Bajaron sway bar and end links * M2 Shocks
    * PPA Wheels * Centramatic balancers
    *HMF Exhaust * CalSci Windshield
    2015 STS , Bajaron Black/White/Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks again to all.
    This website and the folks in it offer some excellent info. and objective views

Spyder Garage

Thanks again to all.
    This website and the folks in it offer some excellent info. and objective views
    Make sure it has the Air intakes for that year that were added to the Fairings (Side Panels) because that solved heat problems. I liked the acceleration on my 998 twin RT better than the F3 because the 5 Speed Had WIDE gears and you could hit 60 mph in 2nd gear!!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I bought the 2014 ST Limited at the end of May 2018. First non car vehicle I've rode since early 90's. I think the advice to test ride different ones is always a great idea. My experience with the ST-Limited has been good. It's plenty fast, lots of low end torque and pep. It's not a slug by any means. Once I found this site and saw the 'do's and don't' section it helped me a ton. You should read it to see the difference between the two engines. My biggest complaint is checking the oil, you have to take off a side panel which is easy but I feel you shouldn't have to do this. Biggest thing for me was keeping your rpm's up higher then I was used to back in my quad running days.

Just an FYI, I think if you go to resell it might be a tuff sell and a bigger loss then 1330 engines and the touring models. People want those a lot more. I've been watching in case I resell mine for Ryker. If you ride it and love it then it's a solid spyder.

Spyder Garage

I have 2013 ST-S. Its a 998 twin SM5 and it serves me well. 30K miles with no issues.
    I have it set up for touring with OEM saddle bags and tail bag. 500-700 miles per day
    is my average. The ST is woefully under sprung so consider upgrading the springs and
    shocks. I went with Elka stage 2 and and a BajaRon sway bar. Added a trailer hitch too.
    Most recent trip was Pittsburgh, PA to Carson CIty , NV. Check the oil and ride...
    The ST is affordable and dependable.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Default Recent 2014 ST purchase

I bought a 2014 ST SE5 (base) as my first Spyder about two months ago. It had 2k miles and I got it for less than $9K so I figure there was no need to worry about trade-in value. It's my intent to keep it for a long while in any case.

I've had a blast with it on day trips and up in the local mountains, but I admit that after 90 minutes or so I want to get off and stretch. The step in the stock seat needs to be somewhat farther back to get really comfortable. But then, I've spent the last 20 years on Harley touring bikes so I'm used to stretching out more than I can on an ST. I admit I'm still in the process of learning to master the trike.

Maybe I just need something like Ultimate's tall-boy seat; I am 6'1". As it stands, I'm not yet convinced that I want to make any long trips, but that's probably my limitation, not the ST's. As far as I'm concerned, the 998 has enough power and there is good wind protection.
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Bought a 2014 st Limited yesterday.
    Black currant--will bring her home after the holidays. It sure seems like a lively pup (very throaty).

First Spyder Thanks to all for advice and feedback.
    ED

Spyder Garage

Bought a 2014 st Limited yesterday.............
    Congrats on your Spyder purchase. Post up a pic or two when you bring it home.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Great bike treat it well & it will do same in return loving mine just got up to 50k miles this year & I don't treat it as well as I should (not abused, just very laxed) yes watch the oil & keep some handy as well as brake fluid. Found RPM sweet spot is at 5550 for best MPG, hard to maintain in town but each town can be different. Of the 50k : 12states, 4 Spyderfest, 1 Spyders in the Hills, 1 Spyders on da Bayou, 2BIKES, BLUES BBQ,1 furthest point in conUS, all before trailer. And more on the way lots to see & do. With the floorboards its easy to adjust position while riding moving foot forward are al way back propping heal on the passanger boards
    plus the 14 will have the new side panels that mine does not have but is still rocking along. HIGHLEY reccomend SmoothSpyder backrest especially for trips test rides are great but often too short. Comments bout 1330's are spot on, 998 is NOT a bad motor either just takes getting used to & TLC. Lots to enjoy if you do get it.
    B, you seem to a lot of riding, two up, or just one? I'm always curious about the storage on the Spyder, a trailer is not in my future.

Spyder Garage

I have that exact same Spyder. It should have come with a GPS and Fox shocks with the heavy swaybar. It is a great machine. You are going to like it.

bike 1.jpg

Spyder Garage

That is correct. It has the air intakes as well.

Spyder Garage

Still waiting for the pictures!

Spyder Garage

Bringing her home Thursday 1/4/2019 Anxious is an understatement.

Spyder Garage

Bringing her home Thursday 1/4/2019 Anxious is an understatement.
    Congrats to you! Post up a pic or two when you can.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3