Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 007james View Post
    Jas, My 2009 V-Twin 1600 CC Belt driven Harley doesn’t vibrate or chatter, any where nearly as bad as either my 2012 and 2016 RTs have. Vibration & Chatter are two different feelings. Spyders chatter, and V-Twins with unbalanced engines Vibrate, but don’t chatter. If you search all the treads here on Belt alighnment, chatter and vibration, you will discover Chatter is not an AGE issue. My 77 year old Butt feels the same as my 42 year Butt felt, and I know by a lot of experience what the difference between Chatter and Vibration fells like. I owned 1973 Harley Sportster XLCH 100 CC with solid lifters and unbalanced engine. It never chattered like my Spyders, but it vibrated. My Spyders both chatter starting at about 68 MPH thru 75 MPH, with the belt adjusted to Dealer Specs. If the tension is tightened, the chatter can be moved to occurr up or down, but it rarely is ever completely eliminated, and when it occurrs in those MPH ranges, the mirrors and handlebar shake, not vibrate. It acts like the tires are out of balence, but balencing still won’t eliminate the Chatter. Belt Dampenets are more of a Placeebo, IMO, than Chatter eliminaters. I had a BRP Skidoo Snow Sled that always had Belt Chatter, and I never could get rid of it, until I traded the Skidoo in for an Artic Cat.
    I still feel its irrelevant, to complain about stuff all the time. Spyder's are just darn fun, & I don't care if I feel vibrations, or chatter. I could care less about the vibes or chatter, its a mechanical marvel I am driving with how many darn parts / components to make it move with out me peddling, I expect to feel some vibes, & chatter. If my Spyder were to have a mechanical issue I would expect that as well, nothing lasts forever, and that is why we have service departments.

Spyder Garage

Age is only a condition of mind. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter. I will be 77 in another month, and my aches & pains are only a condition of Mind, but not really mine. HaHa. My 2016 RT was tied up for 2-1/2 months this Summer while they floundered around replacing the failed Front Pulley Sprocket that seems to be happening on a lot of them, around the 20,000 mile mark, mine included. It was in June, and since I could not get any firm answers from the Dealer on how long it might take to diagnose and repair my Spyder, I decided to buy a back up Toy to get me thru the Summer. I took a Sling Shot out for a Demo ride at the Dealer, and actually liked it, and thought it would be fun to own. But looking at all the exposed Gizmos, brackets, wiring, and the same rear tire that wears out on Spyders in less than 10,000 miles, I figured 6-8,000 miles at best, expectation on the Sling Shot, and I’d have to be back to the same Dealer that is always 4-6 weeks out to even book an appointment to get an oil change, let alone a tire change! So, I bought a used 2009 Harley Heritage, and put 3000 miles on it, while waiting to get my Spyder back. I then had my same Spyder Dealer put two new tires on my Harley, which they did, after waiting a month to get it done, but then, my Harley also quit on me, loosing all of its Electrical leaving me stuck on the Parkway. When the AAA Tow Truck finally arrived 3 hours later, I had them bring my Harley to my Spyder Dealer, because after them just recently installing the two new tires on it, and me having no other relationships with Dealers in the immediate area, I had the Harley left there. Not a wise decision on my part. They had my Harley for 2 months, so I missed all of the Peak Autom riding during the Foilage Season, while they first said my Battery only needed charging, then a week later, no, the battery wouldn’t hold a charge, and needed Battery. I OKed a new Battery, then a week later was told I needed new Regulater, and they could order an after Market one. I OKed that, and waited another 2 weeks, then was told the Regulater they ordered would not fit, but Harley had one in stock, and they could pick it up the same day,....for more money? I OKed that, and another week went by with no word from the Dealer. My Spyder’s rear tire was now worn to the Cord, so I called my Spyder Dealer on a Sat. Morning to try to book an appt. for the tire change. They said they could only take it 3 weeks out! So, now, they still had my Harley, unrepaired, and left me with my Spyder unsafe to ride with a bad tire. So I called another Spyder Dealer 50 miles away who took me right in that Monday and installed my new tire and new Brake Pads, front and rear! ( guess where I will be bringing my Spyder to for ALL future maintence, and where I will be upgrading to a new one, if BRP ever comes up with a fix on Belt Chatter? Fast forward to a week later, when I get a call from my Dealer that has my Harley to come get it, as they have given up on it! They said it now needed a Stator, and they did not have the expertise or Tools to install it! Imagine a huge Dealer that sells Spyders, ATVs, Polarises, Sling Shots, Hondas, Kawasakis, Victorys, and many pre owned Bikes, not able to install a Stator on a 2009 Harley? Worse, I was leaving to go out of State for a week, and they refused to arrange to have my Harley repaired at the Harley Dealer. They told me I owed $400+ for the Battery, Regulater and Diagnosis, and to pay them and come get it! Real fantastic Customer Service, for such a large Dealer thinking Word of Mouth only applies to generate future Business. Any way, I paid the Dealer over the phone with my Credit Card and told them to release my Harley to Harley, whom I called to have them go retrieve it with their Truck and Trailer. What an absolute pleasure and relief to be treated with respect by the Harley Dealer who quickly responded to all of my needs, picked it up, installed the Stator, and changed my Oils and Filter, and repaired an Exhaust Leak they discovered, where a bolt was broken and had to be drilled out. The Harley Dealer in Roanoke Virginia was an absolute pleasure to deal with, after haven experienced several years of absolulte abuse and by the local Spyder Dealer. I was tempted to file a complaint to our local Better Business Beaureau, but decided life is too short,...for me, so I will take my Harley to the Harley Dealer, and my Spyder to my other Spyder Dealer, 50 miles away, who have always treated me with respect and serviced my 2012 I bought from them for 5 years in a timely fashion. SERVICE is the most important ingredient of any Vehicle we decide to buy. I love my Harley,....and can tolerate my Chattering Spyder, .....when it is in my garage , and not sitting at some Dealer waiting for Waurentee repairs. I intend to purchase my Extended Waurentee Spyder Policy from my Dealer 50 miles away, and will avoid my local Dealer that is only 5 miles away that has treated me like dirt for years like a Plague! It amazes me, how they retain any Business at all, after some one who bought a new Vehicle from them finds out they have to wait 4-6 weeks to get their first Service done on their new Vehicle! There is a real bad management problem with that Dealer, I would say. So, Sir, I advise you to keep your GW, as a Back up, as long as you can hold it up, because if you buy a Spyder, you will surely NEED a back up,...if you want to be sure to have a Vehicle to ride in peak riding Seasons at all times.
    I have 4 spyder dealers within 40 miles. Closest one totally sucks. Takes months to get anything fixed right. I would have never taken a Harley to your dealer knowing they suck. For me when I take my spyder in they fix it in a timely manner. If I had to wait months I would have it traded at another dealer for a different bike.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

When dealers give good service and delight their customers, I think it is important that they be recognized. They work for and deserve our business. Likewise, when dealers provide poor and in some cases aragant service, I think they should be identified also. It helps us all to know who the good player are and which dealers to avoid. Complaining anamously (not naming the dealer) may help the complainer vent, but does nothing to help the rest of us know where we can expect to receive decent treatment....... (or not) ...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    When dealers give good service and delight their customers, I think it is important that they be recognized. They work for and deserve our business. Likewise, when dealers provide poor and in some cases aragant service, I think they should be identified also. It helps us all to know who the good player are and which dealers to avoid. Complaining anamously (not naming the dealer) may help the complainer vent, but does nothing to help the rest of us know where we can expect to receive decent treatment....... (or not) ...... Jim
    I agree, but Spyder Owners in Roanoke Virgina Area all know that there is only one Dealer in Roanoke, so they know who it is. Owners outside the area don’t need to know the Name, and can easily do a search. But the Can Am Dealer 50 miles away that does deserve Recognition is Virgal Naff Kawasaki in Lynchburg, Virginia. They were the only Can Am Dealer in the area when I was first shopping for a Spyder the end of 2011. The other Dealer became a Can Am Dealer about 18 months later. Their Sevice Manager’s Name is Kenney, and he was there in Jan. 2012 when I bought my first RT from them. So I don’t know how long he has been there, but knows his Business, and knows how to treat their Customers. They also sell Hondas, Yahmahas, and Kawasakis, in addition to Can Am Spyders, ATVs and Seadoos, and are about 1/4 in Show Room and Service Size as the large Mega sized Dealer in Ronoke, but make up for their size by their Service. They would be ashamed of them selves to make any of their Customers wait 3-4 weeks to get a tire changed , or get an Oil Change. The Owner him self would keep his two Sons in the shop to change the tire, if he had to, before he would turn a blind eye to his Customer’s needs in an emergancy, such as a tire running on cord! There is another Can Am Dealer in North Carolina, about 70 miles away, but I have no experience with them, so can’t comment. I don’t need to Vent. Its the absolute Truth! Surely, there has to be many others than me who have been left waiting with their phones expecting for the next call about when is their Vehicle is going to be ready? There are a few Bad Reviews on tne BBB site, about how the Service sucks there, but the Dealer responds with a real Professional written response that looks good,....to any one who has never dealt with them. They write better than they service!
    Last edited by 007james; 12-15-2018 at 05:19 PM.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    When dealers give good service and delight their customers, I think it is important that they be recognized. It helps us all to know who the good player are and which dealers to avoid.
    I agree and it would sure help newbies like me to seek out dependable dealers if this forum had a sticky where members could post positive comments of their experiences with different dealers - state by state of course.
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

............the Can Am Dealer 50 miles away that does deserve Recognition is Virgal Naff Kawasaki in Lynchburg, Virginia..........
    I was just by this dealer today (20 miles away) asking about the 2019's. Dealt with them many years ago and don't recall having any issues. They are on my short list.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Years ago, the shaft drive “stuff” was talked about here on Spyderlovers. Myself, I was then and remain in agreement that shaft drive would eliminate some of the downside regarding the belt drive.

Not opposed to chain drive, a while back I did some homework to search the possibilities of converting from belt drive to chain drive.

Ultimately, in the end, with the tech bulletin for lower belt tensions as a reference, I lowered the belt tension and experienced good results. Overall, at cruise speeds on flat roads there is not vibration felt. Add in a load and there is a few seconds of vibration that subsides quickly. This has been a good setup for us.

As for shaft drive, the RT being more touring oriented, although the F3 has a touring models also, is the obvious best choice to go shaft drive. With creative engineering, they could likely retain the current engine and gearbox as is forthe front. Getting clearance around the swingarm pivot makes the shaft drive tricky. They could however maybe add a universal or CV joint that hinges at the swingarm pivot area, and run two shafts. A bit complex, but not bad. Done well, the entire setup could run in gearoil, with an easy drain plug and fill plug, then use a witness hole to check the gear oil fluid level.

Truth told though, BRP / Can Am could be miles ahead to scrap their current tensioner / belt vibration damper and run a true damper that is properly controlled. They went with a very inexpensive, low cost band aid to fix a sprained ankle.

Like so many things Can Am Spyder, the concept is cool, the performance is given to the public at 80% ready for prime time. Good, and good enough for many, but the effort and expense to really do the job, is likely crimped by marketing folks demanding the product be released.

Myself and others have said it before, if Honda releases the NeoWing, Can Am will have their hands full. Granted the Ryker is new and has innovation. However, it certainly is no RT. If Can Am openly accepted the known concerns of the RT and F3, then focused on retrofitable cures at reasonable cost and provide them on new Spyders it would truly up their game. However, when you are the one major player, you can be what you want.

Our 14 RTS is 5 years old next month. I know its quirks and accept them. Without doubt, we have come a long way since reading a ton of post here advising do not buy the first model year of the changed to 1330 bike. A few months later, owners of previous years, especially 13s could not upgrade fast enough.

I welcome shaft drive done right. This is Can Am, and my current thoughts are, be happy with the belt. Simple, low cost and efficient compared to shaft drive.

Spyder Garage

Very good perspective. As stated previously, I tolerate my belt drive. The inherent problems are mitigated by reducing belt tension and adding Docs' dampener.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

JP 58, or trading for you could be when you get too much dust on the one you have now! wink wink
    Last edited by trikerbiker645; 12-17-2018 at 09:51 AM.
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikerbiker645 View Post
    JP 58, or trading for you could be when you get too much dust on the one you have now! wink wink
    I guess you know me to well Dave.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I sure would love to see Shaft Drive on all their bikes. Much more reliable and much less maintenance. That's what I dislike the most on my F3. Belt always needs to be adjusted and hopefully no rocks get in the belt.

Spyder Garage

I’ve had a number of bikes, some with chain, some belt and some shaft. Obviously wouldn’t get anything with chain. Shaft is quiet and clean but some added weight, high first cost and if you have a problem, it can be expensive to fix. I’ve concluded it’s hard to beat a belt. They require little maintenance, generally last 50k miles, are quiet, clean, low cost and lightweight. My 2 cents.
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents

Spyder Garage

wow, my father was a LIFE LONG rider had some type of motorcycle 70 of his 85 years. In 1974 Moto Guzzi 850 (full Dress) SHAFT DRIVE. That bike was awesome I dreamed (13years old) of some day owning ONE. He had later a Goldwing BMW But he always loved the ride of that Guzzi
    not his but what I remember:th-2.jpeg
    2012 , java

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post
    The new Ryker 900cc is an inline 3 cylinder with CVT trans and shaft drive. I wonder if the shaft drive could be coming to the 1330 sometime in the future?

Don’t know if the forum gods can accommodate but it would be great to have a survey question regarding. I think part of the job of a forum is to drive decision making at the OEM ( I know BRP is listening/lurking; I see their avatar periodically) based on our input.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I somewhat doubt BRP will do the shaft drive vs the belt. Shaft is a heavy thing to lug around with the Rotax engine vs the belt drive. The shaft drive is durable if there's no offset as in the problems CSC was having, and then there probably the U joints to contend with, they take real beating.

Spyder Garage

Any one can start a survey question if they would like to. The SL forum is in no way a part of BRP. They do come and look at our postings from time to time to "test" the waters and see what the "general public" is saying. That is a good sign.

Sometimes they listen to us, sometimes they don't.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

we did more than 40.000 with the "old" Spyders .. one of the reasons to take a Ryker was the shaft drive , we wanted something what we can use on all the roads what we have here (Alps) ..
    and I do not understand why BRP does not offer a full protection for the belt - would cost not really much !
    after now 10.000 adventure-miles (no problems) with the Ryker we plan not to change, maybe if a little bigger Version on this base is the future ??
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Any one can start a survey question if they would like to. The SL forum is in no way a part of BRP. They do come and look at our postings from time to time to "test" the waters and see what the "general public" is saying. That is a good sign.

Sometimes they listen to us, sometimes they don't.

Thought there might be a forum web tool that can create a survey; I didn’t see it in the “go advanced” section.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AVBIZ View Post
    Thought their might be a forum web tool that can create a survey; I didn’t see it in the “go advanced” section.
    To start a survey:
    Go to Forum: Find the forum you wish to post your poll in.

Click on: Post new thread

Once the box for creating the thread pops up....scroll down past it and you will see a section that says: Post a poll. Follow the directions and you should be good to go.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    I would think it would make sense for BRP to do the transition from Belt to Shaft as they will have an assembly line already for the Ryker and it would be cost effective for there to be only one final drive (in manufacture, costs and assembly) for both the Spyder & the Ryker models
    I don’t think we will get any confirmation of a change for the Spyder models to a shaft drive until they release any changes to the 2020 models their fear would be having belt models left unsold as buyers wait for a shaft model to be available
    Maybe that’s why they have reduced the current price of new Spyders to use up existing stock
    I would consider replacing my existing 2015 Spyder for a Shaft drive version otherwise I can see no benifit in changiing to a new one as the changes are not offering that much in improvement

Spyder Garage

I agree with eddieshep999
    The Ryker was a good opportunity for brp to "test the water" and judge customer acceptance and see how well they (brp) could put together a shaft drive. Much safer to start with the lower horsepower demands and lighter weight of the Ryker and from what I read they have clearly hit a home run with it.
    Also taking into account what seems to be a move to a common platform for the F3 & RT there would be significant savings in development and production as has been the case with motor vehicle manufacturers moving to less and less base platforms to build the various models on.
    To me the writing is on the wall they just won't admit to it for the reasons eddishep has outlined.
    Just my thoughts of course.
    Happy with the ST-S with a belt after I got over the fud factor in negotiating our gravel driveway and other not so good roads around our area.
    Of course I would love to have a Ryker Rally as well just to run to the station and zoom up our rain damaged driveway but finances don't permit. I just take it easy and no issues thus far.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default XS750 vs XS650 let the good times roll...

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    Enjoyed lots of cruising across Kansas on the 76 Yamaha XS750 shaft drive triple. It never left me down except when I ran out of gas between Protection and Medicine Lodge Then had work and family take my time and money until the Honda 750 Shadow Aero Shaft drive provided many miles of trouble free cruisin. Enjoyed the Harley and BRP belt drives, but there is a lot to be said for a dependable sealed shaft ryde..

The shaft drive might tempt me off the RT and cruising the back roads again . Bugs in the teeth just mean I'm still enjoying the ryde.
    I road a neighbors XS750 3 cylinder - very smooth machine. I had a 1981 XS650 special very buzzy.

Considering a Ryker over the 1330: shaft drive + simpler CVT transmission [with no transmission oil to change] (put 28K on my Kymco Grandvista 250cc scooter changed belt one time)! The 1330 uses a manual transmission with complex "automatic shifters" as a bolt on.

Ryker - much easier maintenance - rear wheel, air filter, much less body work to fool with and so on... plenty of power but less than 1330 and lacks the convenience and refinement of 1330 body work / storage. But for $1300 you can add a full luggage system + windshield (not including labor of course). Not a huge fan of open belt drive systems in general and the front pulley spline stripping issue of the 1330.

If you want a smoother vibration free engine than my Honda NC700X better plan on getting a Goldwing. I won't tolerate vibration or waste time changing tires and adding bar weights or grip puppies etc.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Years ago, the shaft drive “stuff” was talked about here on Spyderlovers. Myself, I was then and remain in agreement that shaft drive would eliminate some of the downside regarding the belt drive.

I welcome shaft drive done right. This is Can Am, and my current thoughts are, be happy with the belt. Simple, low cost and efficient compared to shaft drive.
    Great points.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have had chain drive, yamaha 400 special, 4 shaft drive, honda shadow, 1986 yamaha venture royale, 1989 yamaha venture royale, and 1991 yamaha venture royale. I also have two spyders, 2015 RT Limited with roughly 50,000 miles on it, and a 2020 RT Limited that I put a little over 5,000 miles on after the purchase in August of last year.
    The belt on the 2015 has a groove in it from a small stone that got caught in the rear pully, that happend befor 10,000 miles on it. The dealer looked at it for the 9,200 mile service and told me that the belt MUST be changed, I chose not to, the groove was in the ribs only and not in the solid part of the belt.
    As stated that belt now is at roughly 50,000 miles, at least 20,000 miles of those are pulling a camper trailer, bike fully loaded and two up. The belt has little if any visable ware on it but still hase the grove in the rib.
    The ONLY complaint I have about belt drive is the vibration that shows up every now and then at some speeds.

The shaft drives on two of the Yamaha ventures had a crush washer go bad that is on the engine side of the shaft connection, and they leaked oil from there. I had both crush washers replaced and they didnt go bad a second time. One venture had over 100,006 miles on it when a car hit us and totaled it, the others both had about 50,000 miles on them.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I don't want shaft drive on my Spyder. Apparently I'm going to get my wish for the forseeable future. I rode Yamaha Ventures from 1986 to 2011 with only 1 shaft failure and that was due to a design flaw on Yamaha's part,which they corrected in 1986. But I like the light weight and simplicity of the belt. Mine has lasted 62,000+ miles and seems to be doing great. It is 9 years old. Granted my old VTwin doesn't seem to have either the belt vibration issues or pully issues the 1330 has. If it did maybe I'd want shaft.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze