Quote Originally Posted by 007james View Post
Jas, My 2009 V-Twin 1600 CC Belt driven Harley doesn’t vibrate or chatter, any where nearly as bad as either my 2012 and 2016 RTs have. Vibration & Chatter are two different feelings. Spyders chatter, and V-Twins with unbalanced engines Vibrate, but don’t chatter. If you search all the treads here on Belt alighnment, chatter and vibration, you will discover Chatter is not an AGE issue. My 77 year old Butt feels the same as my 42 year Butt felt, and I know by a lot of experience what the difference between Chatter and Vibration fells like. I owned 1973 Harley Sportster XLCH 100 CC with solid lifters and unbalanced engine. It never chattered like my Spyders, but it vibrated. My Spyders both chatter starting at about 68 MPH thru 75 MPH, with the belt adjusted to Dealer Specs. If the tension is tightened, the chatter can be moved to occurr up or down, but it rarely is ever completely eliminated, and when it occurrs in those MPH ranges, the mirrors and handlebar shake, not vibrate. It acts like the tires are out of balence, but balencing still won’t eliminate the Chatter. Belt Dampenets are more of a Placeebo, IMO, than Chatter eliminaters. I had a BRP Skidoo Snow Sled that always had Belt Chatter, and I never could get rid of it, until I traded the Skidoo in for an Artic Cat.
I still feel its irrelevant, to complain about stuff all the time. Spyder's are just darn fun, & I don't care if I feel vibrations, or chatter. I could care less about the vibes or chatter, its a mechanical marvel I am driving with how many darn parts / components to make it move with out me peddling, I expect to feel some vibes, & chatter. If my Spyder were to have a mechanical issue I would expect that as well, nothing lasts forever, and that is why we have service departments.