Spyder Garage

Default Trailer Question

The wife and I are looking to trailer our bikes on some long distance trips. She has a F3-T Limited and I currently ride a Harley Road King. We have always ridden our bikes on trips so I have no experience with trailers. It looks like we will need an 18' trailer to fit both bikes. Has anybody trailered with this type of combination or have recommendations (other than riding them there, no longer an option)?

Spyder Garage

I have a 7 x 14 enclosed V-nose with an RT Limited. I was not able to get a friends Goldwing in with my Spyder. I think we could have made a 16 footer work with some manipulating.

Spyder Garage

7 x 16 with 2' V nose. Works great.
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Front Bumper (Black)
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Spyder Garage

Although we don't have two bikes to trailer as you do we trailer our RT for the same reason you do. We have found it works very well. We arrive in much better condition the night before and are fresh and ready to go in the morning. My wife does not travel long distance any more so when she goes this is the only way she can join me and it works great for her to take the local rides when we get to our destination. I think you will find a trailer a great addition. Forget about the people that tell you to "ride it there". If you could you would. You have probably ridden enough miles in your life that you no longer have to prove anything to anybody. At least you are still knees in the breeze, so Happy TRAils!

BTW we have a Wells Cargo 16 x 7 and it fits our RT very well. If I wanted to there is enough room behind it to put our Hannigan Europa trailer behind it.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

You are correct about the miles we have put on. The wife and I both still work and we have limited vacation days. I can put 1,000 miles behind the wheel of an air conditioned, lumbar supporting, car or truck in a day no problem. I have done 600 mile days on my bike and paid for it for several days afterwards. We normally keep the bike trips down to about 300-350 miles per day. That eats up vacation time. No argument that riding there and back is a more enjoyable and connected experience if you have the time. We don't. And the longer you ride the further you have to go to get away from "been there, done that'.
    I do remember in my "younger days" asking a guy getting gas that had his bike on a trailer "is it broke"? just to razz him, I am older and wiser now.

Spyder Garage

Totally agree. Drove 350 miles in ice storm/sleet the whole way one November. Inside the truck warm and dry and the bike in it's enclosed trailer the same. The wife napped. Life is good.

Spyder Garage

Agree with ya’ll! I ryde 250 to a meeting, trailer up 500 miles. Over that I jump a plane and rent ��
    Always have PHUN ��
    Replaced my Lamonster Certified RT Limited #1874 With a 2018 RTL.

Spyder Garage

I have a Harley Road Glide and my wife has an F3S. We trailer both with a 7 by 16 foot enclosed trailer with a 24 inch V-nose. I pull my Road Glide all the way to the front of the “V” where I have a Condor mounted. The F3 goes in next. We mounted e-track on the floor and secure the F3 and Harley with 2 inch straps. There’s adequate room between the F3 and my Road Glide, and also between the F3 and the rear door. From experience, the longer the trailer the bigger the pain with parking, getting gas etc.

If you want to see how both bikes will fit prior to purchasing, take them to a trailer dealer and ask them to let you pull both inside. Any reputable dealer should allow you to do this.
    Last edited by PeteF; 12-01-2018 at 07:34 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PeteF View Post
    If you want to see how both bikes will fit prior to purchasing, take them to a trailer dealer and ask to them to let you pull both inside. Any reputable dealer should allow you to do this.
    Good idea.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Although we don't have two bikes to trailer as you do we trailer our RT for the same reason you do. We have found it works very well. We arrive in much better condition the night before and are fresh and ready to go in the morning. My wife does not travel long distance any more so when she goes this is the only way she can join me and it works great for her to take the local rides when we get to our destination. I think you will find a trailer a great addition. Forget about the people that tell you to "ride it there". If you could you would. You have probably ridden enough miles in your life that you no longer have to prove anything to anybody.
    We have a New "Rule". We will only ride to a destination that fits the "one tank of gas" parameter. For long distance travel, we use our used (2012) Ironhorse Enclosed Wide Body Trailer for our 2015 RT Limited.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited