Spyder Garage

Default Planning a ride for next year (Maine to NY)

Has anyone planned out a ride from say Portland Maine to New York somewhere?? Buddy and I are looking at doing that trip. Just wondering about the best roads and scenery.

We are leaving from New Brunswick Canada and travelling through Maine and down.

Prob 4 days / 3 nights. All depends.

Thanks

Stiff
    2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Any particular destination in NY? Lots of good riding in the Catskills and Adirondacks.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Step 1,buy a Butler map for New England(14.95 on Amazon)Step 2 google road trips in New England.If that doesn't help,buy a motorcycle road trip by Dale Coyne,Im pretty sure he covers that area.Also if youre a little bit adventureous try staying at Airbnb houses,way more fun than hotels and cheaper too.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Where is your destination and when are you planning on this trip? There are a lot of ways to get there, wherever there is.

Lin
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Road Trip

Sounds like a good Road Trip. Hopefully some of the 'Locals' will give you in depth information. Good Ryding and let everyone know.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

From Portland, I'd recommend: Rte 25 west through Cornish to Freedom, NH- North on 153 to Conway. From there you could go 112 west on "the Kanc" or go north on 302 past the Mount Washington Hotel. Route 302 would carry you into Vermont. Most state roads in Vermont, I have found, to be very nice roads. I know Route 100 has been good to me. I have also connected to New Your via a short ferry ride across Lake Champlain at Fort Ticonderoga.

I hope this helps.

Lin

DSCN3332.jpg20180908_162318.jpg
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Spyder Garage

Can't go wrong in ME, NH, or VT! Depending on how far north you go, Colebrook, NH has the motorcyclists' monument... 9 https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/856 )and that would allow you some road time along the VT/NH border with Quebec as well. If you choose that route, stop in Derby Line, VT where the library is half in US and half in Canada and then enjoy the route through Newport. http://www.rk-mass2.org/articles/north_border.pdf

Agree with 302... there is also a short route through Groton State forest in VT that is a great twistie route that connects 302 and Route 2... and Route 2 is another scenic road. North of that spot where 2 & 232 cross is Cabot and the Cabot Creamery -- stop for a tour and a cheese tasting. From there look for Route 15 and follow that west to 104.

On 302, you can stop at Rock of Ages Quarry in Barre for a tour, and definitely take a ride through the cemetery in Barre (no, really) to see the artisan work with their marble on the headstones.

Of course Ben and Jerry's (and ice cream tour and tasting is in Waterbury on Route 100/Route 2. South of Waterbury (off 100) is Route 17 which is the Appalachian Gap or Mad River Glenn. This is one of the mountain passes up over the Green Mountains. Last time I went over the "Ap Gap" it was in pretty rough shape, but that was probably about 3 years ago.

No matter which route you take across Vermont, pick up Route 2 north of Burlington and follow it up the Champlain Islands. Great route hopping islands before you cross into NY at the Canadian border.

If you do not want to go that far north, work your way over to Charlotte and take the ferry over to Essex, NY.

100 is one of my favorites, but that runs North and South. http://www.rk-mass2.org/articles/Route100.pdf

Gee, all these different routes means you have to do the trip more than once to figure out which is your favorite!

Good luck and have fun. The planning is a good part of the enjoyment too!

Ride safe.

Bob
    --
    Bob L.
    Worcester County Massachusetts
    www.rk-mass2.org

Spyder Garage

Really good advice. I have been to all of the places mentioned by Lin and Bob L and all are nice rides. I just think that 4 days is not enough time. You will need at least a week to do a good ride.

Spyder Garage

One of the coolest things I seen while in NY was the Corning museum . If you are anywhere there check it out.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    One of the coolest things I seen while in NY was the Corning museum . If you are anywhere there check it out.
    After all my life living in N.Y. state, I finally visited the Corning museum this year, and wasn't disappointed. I especially liked the blowing glass demo.