Thread: Spark Plugs

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Spark Plugs

I am about to change the spark plugs in my 2015 Spyder RT. I cannot seem to find what the torque is on replacing the plugs. I have did a lot of research and have the plugs the heat sink paste and believe I understand in removing the coils off the plugs. I have not found the correct torque settings for the plugs. I would appreciate if someone could give it to me and any other information. I have done a search on You Tube and don't find anything on changing plugs. I will try to make a video on the procedure.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

my F3 ACE engine calls for 15 ft. lbs

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    I am about to change the spark plugs in my 2015 Spyder RT. I cannot seem to find what the torque is on replacing the plugs. I have did a lot of research and have the plugs the heat sink paste and believe I understand in removing the coils off the plugs. I have not found the correct torque settings for the plugs. I would appreciate if someone could give it to me and any other information. I have done a search on You Tube and don't find anything on changing plugs. I will try to make a video on the procedure.
    I would be very careful torquing a spark plug. Just snug with a short handled 3/8" ratchet is plenty. If your torque wrench isn't real accurate you can create a lot of problems doing it that way.

Most torque wrenches are not very accurate at the low or high end of their spectrum. And very few ever get their torque wrenches calibrated.

I use a torque wrench on large items like head bolts, etc. But I've seen way more damage done with torque wrenches on small or low torque items than was ever done with a wrench.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-27-2018 at 11:28 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Try This....

Rule of thumb on low torque items is to snug them up and give a 1/4 turn more. Drain plugs and spark plugs fall in that catagory as do oil filter cover bolts and case cover bolts etc. : Remember that you are in many cases using a steel bolt in an alminum case and they expand at different temperatures.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I would be very careful torquing a spark plug. Just snug with a short handled 3/8" ratchet is plenty. If your torque wrench isn't real accurate you can create a lot of problems doing it that way.

Most torque wrenches are not very accurate at the low or high end of their spectrum. And very few ever get their torque wrenches calibrated.

I use a torque wrench on large items like head bolts, etc. But I've seen way more damage done with torque wrenches on small or low torque items than was ever done with a wrench.
    Thanks this is what I will do. It was a real job getting the air box out. I had planned on making a video but I shut it off. This was my first plug replacement so I was pretty slow.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

i posted pix of my PLUG CHANGE DILEMMA...
    do a search, maybe you'll find them...
    good luck... it's a big, and tuff job....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    To answer your question, the torque spec for spark plugs is 128 + or - 4 Inch pounds.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I agree with BajaRon and Chupaca. When it comes to tightening drain plugs and spark plugs I would finger tighten and then snug it maybe 1/4 turn with the wrench. If you snap a drain plug or spark plug it is bad news,��
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 et. We did the Baharon spark plug and wires change this spring. What a difference! Feels like a totally different bike. More power. I was getting discouraged with binge when riding 2 people, hard on hills of NH and Vermont. But much better now. Yeah, the air box was miserable. But so worth it