Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default QUESTION ON CHARGING MY SENA 10

i was wondering if i should keep it on charge during winter or unplug and detach.

Spyder Garage

If you're talking about a Sena SM10 just make sure it's Off and don't worry about it. You could bring it in, charge it and leave it inside if you want. It isn't going to suffer. I leave mine in the Spyder in the garage year round but I also ride all year and at most may be off the bike for a couple of weeks.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I’ve had an SMH10 for over 6 years. Use it for snowmobiling, ATVing and biking in WI so obviously wide range of conditions and stages of charge. Never a problem and still get about 5 hrs on a charge at 70F. Also found a place that will replace battery if necessary for about $50.
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryinWI View Post
    I’ve had an SMH10 for over 6 years. Use it for snowmobiling, ATVing and biking in WI so obviously wide range of conditions and stages of charge. Never a problem and still get about 5 hrs on a charge at 70F. Also found a place that will replace battery if necessary for about $50.
    We would be interested in the battery replacement information versus a new unit Our Sena SMH10H (half helmets) only last about an hour and a half in the Florida heat. Got 5 years out of them so far. Thanks.
    2020 RTL Chrome Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    i was wondering if i should keep it on charge during winter or unplug and detach.
    As people have learned, Lithium ion batteries have a limit on how many times they can be re-charged. At some point, a battery replacement is needed. My answer to your question is don't leave it plugged in indefinitely. If the battery becomes completely drained it only takes a few hours to fully charge it up, again.

Also, if your SMH10 battery is giving you less than 10 hours of listening time, then a battery replacement maybe for you. Watch this YouTube video on how to do it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUQNgPOR95A&t=138s

Spyder Garage

Battery replacement is quite straightforward. In addition to the video Igofar mentions, there is a place in NH that will do it. I had him put upgraded speakers on my Sena. Does good work.

Adam Schoolsky
    RocketMoto Sport
    PO Box 1225
    Hollis, NH 03049

$49 including return shipping to: oldpachards@yahoo.com
    E mail: adam@rocketmoto.com

Spyder Garage

Adam did a great job replacing my batteries. My units were older and he had to order the correct batteries and still got my headsets back in a week. Just used them for 5 hours straight and worked well. Saved over $300. for new units.
    2020 RTL Chrome Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I leave mine off charger. About a month before riding--I plug it in. So far--so good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I will replace your battery free of charge. You buy the battery and pay shipping and I will do it for you no charge for my time.
    I have done about 50 of them so far for fellow Spyder Lovers.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I replaced a battery in our old SMH 5 coms.
    Pretty easy but be careful as the plugs are small and made of soft plastic. New batteries work great, charge a bit quicker and last longer. I'll have to do the other unit this summer.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Great! adam’s a great guy.