Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Spyder RT Limited Stereo and Speaker Modification

I just recently purchased my new 2018 RT Limited. Previously, I had a 2015 RT base model. The difference that I've noticed is that the stereo system on my 2015 sounded better and louder than my new 2018. On my 2018, I'm at maximum volume before I can actually hear my music whereas, my 2015 was loud at 3/4 of the volume with a little more left to increase. My question is whether anyone know of any places in the Memphis or close surrounding areas that can improve the quality of my audio (change speakers and add small amp) without cutting into any of my wiring and voiding my warranty? Plug and play is preferred. If so, please give me the name and contact info.

Spyder Garage

Before you do anything make sure all updates have been done to your bike.
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Spyder Garage

I have a 2018 RTL. Radio & volume were bad when I first got it. But during my 3k service they updated my software (I believe it’s version 13.20) and now the radio and volume are very good. I can still hear it at 70+ MPH. And even when I have sound through Bluetooth (helmet) it’s extremely loud. Yesterday I had the volume on about 3 (about half inch on volume screen) and the sound was very loud. Look at your software version before you buy new speakers. I couldn’t believe the improvement w new update. Good luck.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Spyder Garage

Mine should be good? I use the auto volume and it works great!
    radio version.jpg

Thanks for the info!!
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi1 View Post
    I just recently purchased my new 2018 RT Limited. Previously, I had a 2015 RT base model. The difference that I've noticed is that the stereo system on my 2015 sounded better and louder than my new 2018. On my 2018, I'm at maximum volume before I can actually hear my music whereas, my 2015 was loud at 3/4 of the volume with a little more left to increase. My question is whether anyone know of any places in the Memphis or close surrounding areas that can improve the quality of my audio (change speakers and add small amp) without cutting into any of my wiring and voiding my warranty? Plug and play is preferred. If so, please give me the name and contact info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    I have a 2018 RTL. Radio & volume were bad when I first got it. But during my 3k service they updated my software (I believe it’s version 13.20) and now the radio and volume are very good. I can still hear it at 70+ MPH. And even when I have sound through Bluetooth (helmet) it’s extremely loud. Yesterday I had the volume on about 3 (about half inch on volume screen) and the sound was very loud. Look at your software version before you buy new speakers. I couldn’t believe the improvement w new update. Good luck.
    Thanks for your response. Yes, I do have the update to the software. Got that done a day after I picked up my bike. Even with the update, it doesn't sound loud unless I'm sitting still on the bike. Even when I play at max volume, my speakers start to sound distorted Thanks though.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi1 View Post
    Thanks for your response. Yes, I do have the update to the software. Got that done a day after I picked up my bike. Even with the update, it doesn't sound loud unless I'm sitting still on the bike. Even when I play at max volume, my speakers start to sound distorted Thanks though.
    Go back to dealer and listen to another 2018 and see if it sounds the same. If not then get the dealer to fix the problem under warranty. My speakers sound pretty loud but I use a headset most of the time. I'd love it if the headset would get louder as I go faster like the speakers do. You might check the audio settings to see if they are not set right.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I have a 2018 RTL also. can I see on the screen if I have the latest update you are talking about??? I had my dealer update my unit several months ago but do not know if I have the latest. tks
    BIG F

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    I have a 2018 RTL also. can I see on the screen if I have the latest update you are talking about??? I had my dealer update my unit several months ago but do not know if I have the latest. tks
    BIG F
    Push the joystick in then down to settings then over to find the about feature, when you get there you will see all the information including the firmware version.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    BIG F
    The software version will say 13.20. Go to settings on your screen in the about section. It should look like this.bike update.jpg

Spyder Garage

Go to your settings and go to about. You'll see the software version. It should say 13.20 if it's been updated. See attachment.
    bike update.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default JL Audio to the rescue

I did all that and still said DONE!!! and it really comes down to hardware so...
    JL Audio here I come!!! Please fix my 2018 RT Limited!!!
    I installed 5.25 component speakers up front (perfect setup) and 5.25 coaxials in the rear.
    I used a JL MX500 watt to drive everything.
    This system is the best I’ve ever heard in a spyder.
    500watts of JL power is amazing and plenty to keep up with the harshest winds.
    I did have to cut away some of the rear mount areas with a Dremel.
    The system looks completely stock. Factory grills are all in place the only only “tell” is the JL badge i put over the BRP logo
    just below the safety card.
    Don’t let anyone tell you “you can’t do that” because i’m living proof you can.
    Also I shut off the “auto” volume leveling feature it made a big difference on my JL system.
    BRP should be ashamed of the audio system they put in a 30K bike.
    If your like me all the software upgrades in the world will never satisfy our audio file ears.
    Good luck...
    Last edited by camam; 12-13-2018 at 07:40 PM.
    2018 RT , Blue / Blackout

Spyder Garage

Do you use helmet speakers with your system and did it make a difference with them also?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by camam View Post
    I did all that and still said DONE!!! and it really comes down to hardware so...
    I installed 5.25 component speakers up front (perfect setup) and 5.25 coaxials in the rear.
    The system looks completely stock. Factory grills are all in place the only only “tell” is the JL badge i put over the BRP logo
    Also I shut off the “auto” volume leveling feature it made a big difference on my JL system.
    If your like me all the software upgrades in the world will never satisfy our audio file ears.
    Good luck...
    X's 5 …. I went with JBL 2 ohm speakers ( also 5.25 front and rear )….but no added AMP …. If play mine at Max it hurts my ears. I did mine 3+ yrs ago and so far it works fantastic …… Good on you for taking the risk ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Do you use helmet speakers with your system and did it make a difference with them also?
    Yes Pegasus. I just went for a ride, and used my helmet Bluetooth for the first time since update. Extremely loud, big difference. Had to keep volume very low on dash, and reduced volume on Sena as well. Maybe some 2018’s just have defective amp/speakers. I’ve heard of a couple people who had 13.20 update and still not happy. 13.20 did solve the problem for me and a lot of people. Hope everyone gets it figured out. I was thinking of upgrading my speakers, add an amp before the update. Not anymore. Like night and day. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Sound has always sucked on my Senas, sent them back twice, now got me wondering.
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris View Post
    Sound has always sucked on my Senas, sent them back twice, now got me wondering.
    I have the Sena 30K and so far I’m very happy w it. But I’ve only owned it 6 months, been in a few heavy downpours with no problems. I believe they call the 30K “water resistant “ but not “waterproof” (that’s why I mentioned that). Mesh works great when talking w my wife and for group riding.
    But plenty loud.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Was the 2018's system as loud as the ones in the 2010 & 2014 that I had?
    No; but it was c"lose enough for Rock & Roll"
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the Sena 30K and so far I’m very happy w it. But I’ve only owned it 6 months, been in a few heavy downpours with no problems. I believe they call the 30K “water resistant “ but not “waterproof” (that’s why I mentioned that). Mesh works great when talking w my wife and for group riding.
    But plenty loud.
    I started with Uclear and was able to get a Sena 30k and I decided the Uclear had way better sound and it's less complicated and I can pair to the 30k and smartphone and Sena SR10 and bike etc. Can't wait for their new Motion headsets as they will have a sensor that detect impacts and can call emergency for you. Among a lot of other features.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I started with Uclear and was able to get a Sena 30k and I decided the Uclear had way better sound and it's less complicated and I can pair to the 30k and smartphone and Sena SR10 and bike etc. Can't wait for their new Motion headsets as they will have a sensor that detect impacts and can call emergency for you. Among a lot of other features.
    Thanks Flame. I almost got Uclear, I’ve read great things about sound quality. I narrowed it down to 3 different sets and even though the 30K was most expensive (needed the 2 pack) I ended up choosing that due to Mesh technology and it allowed more riders to connect, I do a lot of group riding. And I was hoping I’d be happy w sound quality, they’d last a long time etc. I’m happy but now I may get a Uclear next, my son needs one for his helmet, if I like that sound quality better, I’ll just move those speakers to my my 30K, he can use my Sena speakers. And if my Sena speakers die, I’ll just replace w Uclear. Nice to know you have both and compared sound quality. And Glad to hear they connect w Sena.
    Thank you.

Spyder Garage

It is not only the volume ,but the reception sucks big time .Never had a radio this bad on any bike i have owned.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    It is not only the volume ,but the reception sucks big time .Never had a radio this bad on any bike i have owned.
    They put a ton of Loctight on antenna threads. Unscrew a bit to break it, that improves reception. I messed around w mine for a bit and that was enough to get better reception. Some take it out completely, clean and put back. I’ve heard that works good. I only have 2 rock stations by me, unscrewing and putting back on allowed me to get both stations, even when in garage. Before doing that I’d only get 1 station if I was in certain areas. Much better now. I wanna figure out how to get Sirius on my ‘18. Not the best FM choices by me. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

If I were you I would take my Spdyer back to the selling dealer and have them correct the problem?? sounds like you have some speaker and/or volume control problems with your system..
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Default Instructions

Quote Originally Posted by camam View Post
    Good luck...

Do you have any instructions on how to upgrade the amp/speakers? Thanks in advance!

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

They put a ton of Loctight on antenna threads. Unscrew a bit to break it, that improves reception. I messed around w mine for a bit and that was enough to get better reception. Some take it out completely, clean and put back. I’ve heard that works good. I only have 2 rock stations by me, unscrewing and putting back on allowed me to get both stations, even when in garage. Before doing that I’d only get 1 station if I was in certain areas. Much better now. I wanna figure out how to get Sirius on my ‘18. Not the best FM choices by me. Good luck.
    jarred, i have sirus/xm portable i use a f.m. modulator so i can tune in to a fm station i only listen to the 70s so i don't worry about changing stations. but it works great and its cheaper than buying the one brp offers.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.