Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default BUDS diagnoses no contact in start button - my DIY Fix!

I just want to pass-along some tech info that could be of some help to my fellow Spyder owners. I recently had (and fixed) an issue with an increasing no-start condition. Just for a bit of intro, wifey and I bought this 2010 Spyder RT-SE5 in January from a friend (who says he never experienced the problem with it). We knew that it needed a new battery, and it was changed immediately after purchase. Within a few months this intermittent start issue began, and at first it was just an inconvenience because after trying to start the bike a couple of times, it would eventually kick over. I say inconvenience because we bought it for my wife, and it’s what she uses to go to and from work. Bear with me - this is how to make a “short story long”!

Eventually (just over a month ago) it wouldn’t start no matter how much we wiggled and played with the engine kill switch and start button. I really had no idea what the actual problem was for certain because (as you all know) there are a number of things that have to occur correctly to get it started. After researching the internet for answers, the best I could find was that allot of the bikes (it seems) have this problem due to loosening ground (or negative) wire contact points at random locations around the bike. The most common fix suggested was to take off all of the body panels and start tracing/chasing-down all of the wires until the loose connection is found. I hate the sound of that, so I decided instead to purchase a BUDS system because even though I’m a very skilled do-it-yourselfer, these bikes have many things that can go wrong (7 control modules worth) - and I want to know for sure what it is. I prefer NOT to go at it myself with guess-work and all of the internet “disinformation” that’s available, and we can’t afford to have it looked at by a BRP service shop. Besides, the nearest one is 28 miles away.

Well after installation, the BUDS hardware/software told me immediately what was wrong. The start button wasn’t making contact. So I opened the multi-switch assembly (right-hand side, engine kill/cruise control/start button) only to find an array of tape (or ribbon) switches that are mechanically activated by the hardware toggle, slide and push buttons, and all of the ribbons lead to a factory sealed junction that leads out with a gang of bunched wires in a rubber tube going to the middle inside the handlebars, and ending in a multi-pin pigtail connector.

So back to the internet I go to discover that the only (FACTORY) fix for this is to replace the entire multi-switch/wire harness assembly. At around $130 JUST for the part(s) (and BEFORE a shop’s mark-up) - I decided to try another approach first. I researched electronics sites and found a low profile, circuit-board mount, DPST, momentary push-button switch that I was able to buy from Amazon. I couldn’t find a single one and had to buy a five-pack, but at $11 and change - it’s well worth it. Regarding clearance within the assembly, it turned-out to be a perfect fit! I cut off the old switch, scraped away a small bit of the tape covering the copper “traces” that ended inside the old switch, tinned those ends with solder, soldered the new switch to them, and then epoxied the new switch to the spot where the old switch was. I’ve included a few photos to show the old switch (and it’s soft rubber cover - next to it) alongside one of the new switches and it’s packaging (for part number reference). Also 2 pics of the new switch in place (top and edge view) before reassembly. It works perfectly now.

Yes the BUDS system is expensive, but I’m the machine’s mechanic (for the foreseeable future) and it has already saved me allot of time and effort, guessing, hair pulling, headaches and backaches. I hope this info will do the same for some of you and if I can assist further by answering any questions, please - ask away! Thanks for reading, and happy holidays.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-08-2020 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Title clarification

Spyder Garage

Great write up and fix! Just curious where and how do you purchase the BUDS system? I'm sure we're talking about some sort of computer diagnostic program correct? As a former GM master tech I'm familiar with their system (now running 30-40 computers) per vehicle. How is the interface between the computer and the bike handled?
    2018 F3S , Black

Spyder Garage

Awesome repair. Great �� info. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frj322 View Post
    Great write up and fix! Just curious where and how do you purchase the BUDS system? I'm sure we're talking about some sort of computer diagnostic program correct? As a former GM master tech I'm familiar with their system (now running 30-40 computers) per vehicle. How is the interface between the computer and the bike handled?
    I'm interested in this also. Maybe a club could buy one for the benefit of members....hmmm
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Nice job. I bought a BUDS system shortly after buying my 2011 RTS. Worth the money if you can work on the Spyder yourself.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Great repair...The way of the futute is good or replace and you are old school much like myself and will first find the way to repair it.
    There was a pirate BUDS system selling for a time but BRP had to finally release the system to the public and you can get it through them. Don't know if cheapcycleparts.com has it. Thats where I shop for all oem parts and acc.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's an explanation of BUDS; http://www.brpdiagnostics.com/buds-how-it-works/

Here's one place to buy it I think; https://www.amazon.com/BUDS2-Diagnos...824XHVQKBXZHPM
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You have to buy the License once you get the hardware.

If you are only using it once in awhile it may not be worth all the money just to have a license for the day it breaks.

Spyder Garage

I read the explanation of BUDS. Looked at the price. Gave some thought about how BRP wants to keep diagnostic and repair to their own dealers. Thought about how sophisticated this system is. Then wondered why there are so many examples of breakdowns where dealers cannot fix the problem. Bikes sitting in shops for weeks and sometimes months. Lots of examples on this forum. Just wondering why all this has to be a big deep, dark, expensive secret when there are so many obvious faults in the system...... Just wondering.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the write up and pictures. Greatly appreciated.
    2018 RT Limited , Champagne

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I read the explanation of BUDS. Looked at the price. Gave some thought about how BRP wants to keep diagnostic and repair to their own dealers. Thought about how sophisticated this system is. Then wondered why there are so many examples of breakdowns where dealers cannot fix the problem. Bikes sitting in shops for weeks and sometimes months. Lots of examples on this forum. Just wondering why all this has to be a big deep, dark, expensive secret when there are so many obvious faults in the system...... Just wondering.
    most likely the problem of cycles in weeks of repair , get one cycle in like ric rum has had to fix , after getting it broken down , in comes 2 more cycles with easier things too repair and the shop advisor told those folks it would be 2 days ( now the original cycle is 2 or 3 days pushed back / providing they do not have a service contract rider ... and so the land slide of cycles is loading up , put in the mix of 1 or 2 repair guys , and one ends up sick what a mess ! )

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

If you have a 16 or older you can use BUDS but if you have a late build 17 or newer you need BUDS2. We require both for alignments but I cannot see purchasing it otherwise.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

RICRUM - Bet it was pretty expense for a 5Year license. They do sell them for a shorter license too.

Basically you checked the circuit thru BUDS .
    Last edited by trikermutha; 11-26-2018 at 11:00 AM.

Spyder Garage

My 2012 RSS is starting to have the same symptoms and i have a feeling i might have to replace my switch also, i stated having that same issue once in a while but now its def getting worse. Thanks for the great info ricrum!
    2012 Can Am spyder RSS
    Weekend rider

Spyder Garage

Could you give us the site and number of the switch you got? Thanks

Spyder Garage

You have been most helpful with your description, pics & links

Thank you.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    You have been most helpful with your description, pics & links

Thank you.
    You're quite welcomed (all). Thanks oldgoat.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo5776 View Post
    My 2012 RSS is starting to have the same symptoms and i have a feeling i might have to replace my switch also, i stated having that same issue once in a while but now its def getting worse. Thanks for the great info ricrum!
    You're quite welcomed Gonzo5776!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wingit3611 View Post
    Could you give us the site and number of the switch you got? Thanks
    Here's a link to the switch that I bought on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    RICRUM - Bet it was pretty expense for a 5Year license. They do sell them for a shorter license too.

Basically you checked the circuit thru BUDS .
    For what I paid, I thought the five year license I was offered was very generous - so I didn't ask for a shorter license term. The BUDS software shows multiple pages of different info for each ECM-controlled system. The start system page includes green colored ("lit up") dots that show when a button or switch is successfully activated or making contact. The start switch indicator didn't show green, and I confirmed the problem by cutting a 3/4" straightened section of a paper clip - filing the ends to a point - bending the piece into a U shape - then holding the piece with pliers, I poked the sharpened ends through the ribbon coating onto the copper traces which caused a short between the two (which is the same thing that the original switch did). When the starter jumped to life - I broke into a victory dance!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    You have to buy the License once you get the hardware.

If you are only using it once in awhile it may not be worth all the money just to have a license for the day it breaks.
    Hello trikermutha. The site that I bought it from included a 5 year license/authorization key along with the kit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Great repair...The way of the futute is good or replace and you are old school much like myself and will first find the way to repair it.
    There was a pirate BUDS system selling for a time but BRP had to finally release the system to the public and you can get it through them. Don't know if cheapcycleparts.com has it. Thats where I shop for all oem parts and acc.
    Thanks for the compliments Chupaca.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I'm interested in this also. Maybe a club could buy one for the benefit of members....hmmm
    Thanks for the "props"! This is the site that I bought mine from: http://www.brpdiagnostics.com/home/ .........but after my experience with the representative that I was in communications with, I would never buy from them again - and had I known in advance what was in store, would kept looking and bought my system elsewhere. There are alternatives - just Google "BRP BUDS" and you'll see for yourself. To answer your last question - the CAN hardware interface connects to one of your computers USB ports with an included cable

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frj322 View Post
    Thanks for the "props"! This is the site that I bought mine from: http://www.brpdiagnostics.com/home/ .........but after my experience with the representative that I was in communications with, I would never buy from them again - and had I known in advance what was in store, would kept looking and bought my system elsewhere. There are alternatives - just Google "BRP BUDS" and you'll see for yourself. To answer your last question - the CAN hardware interface connects to one of your computers USB ports with an included cable

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    Awesome repair. Great �� info. Bruce
    Glad to help Bruce.