Thread: Wind you say?

Spyder Garage

Default Wind you say?

Yesterday I went for a short ride on my sport bike then shared it on a couple of Facebook pages; one with this text:

"Despite vicious winds most of the time, searing heat in the summer, blowing dust, unpredictable heavy snows; there are days like today where I can ride in late November here the Panhandle."

I included the first picture here of today's current weather conditions along with the one posted yesterday. It is an example of that "vicious wind" mentioned. This is a pretty regular occurrence here in the Tx Panhandle, and people wonder why I get a chuckle out of it when they complain about 20mph winds.

Naturally, it's not wise to intentionally drive anything with two or three wheels in these heavier winds. Sometimes, however, you have no choice. There was a time when I was in college and my car was broke down so I had to drive my Honda 450 to and from work every day for a couple of weeks. During that time I had three days of very intense winds with up to 70mph gusts blowing 90* across my route. Then there are days when you hope you can trust the weather guys to be accurate; bad idea. Before I retired 18 months ago, I would ride the bike to and from work as often as possible and occasionally would get caught off guard. I recall one day when the forecast was calling for moderate temperatures and 15 to 25mph SW winds, (90* to my route). By the time I left work, those winds were gusting over 50mph. Needless to say, days like those raise the pucker factor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 11-25-2018 at 10:01 AM.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't know if it's just me but the wind in general seems to be on the increase in our area.

Spyder Garage

I bought my 2014 RTL and trailer used in Tulsa, OK the 1st week of May, 2017. Found my way to I-60 and followed it all the way home. (I live about 3/4 mile from 60 in Mesa, AZ). When I picked the bike up, there were tornados in Oklahoma. Crossed into the panhandle and had lunch at the first little town and the waitress said it blew over 60 MPH all day the day before I was there. I was ONLY in about 40 MPH winds at 90 degrees. That kept up for over 1,000 miles. Miserable GD trip. I hate wind but glad to be on the Spyder instead of my Goldwing.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Everything else is on the rise weatherwise. Winds would not surprise me.

When we did the Badlands on our Venture in the 80's, we encountered 50 plus mph crosswinds. We actually had to lean into the wind to keep from being blown over. A respite at Cedar Pass Lodge was welcomed that day.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    During that time I had three days of very intense winds with up to 70mph gusts blowing 90* across my route.
    A bit of info for anyone who gives a rip. Instead of using * for a degree symbol if you hold down the alt key and press 2 4 8 you'll get a degree symbol like this °. At least you will with most code pages. Those are the data tables that define what each key displays in text.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    A bit of info for anyone who gives a rip. Instead of using * for a degree symbol if you hold down the alt key and press 2 4 8 you'll get a degree symbol like this °. At least you will with most code pages. Those are the data tables that define what each key displays in text.
    Humm, didn't work for me. But, I'm senile - - - -
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post

Now that--is some useful information (for those who give a rip ) I need to figure out a way to remember that when I need it. ° teehee it worked.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T. View Post
    Humm, didn't work for me. But, I'm senile - - - -
    If you're using Windows try Alt-0176. If you go to Windows Accessories one of the options is Character Map. When you click on it it'll show what character map is loaded in your PC. If you click on a letter or symbol it'll show down at the bottom the Alt key sequence or other key sequence you can use for that character.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)