Spyder Garage

Default After market heated hand grips

I'm wandering if anyone has installed after market heated hand grips. What brand, degree of difficulty.
    I read on here that the factory ones for the F3 are warm at best and only have an on or off switch, and a might difficult to install.
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Spyder Garage

Any of the after market grip heaters will work. You will most likely have to do some wiring, etc. Pick the one that suits your fancy and follow the instructions. Not difficult to install, but time consuming. I don't recall the brand I have on my RSS, but they have multiple settings and can get rather warm.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rays hell View Post
    I'm wandering if anyone has installed after market heated hand grips. What brand, degree of difficulty.
    I read on here that the factory ones for the F3 are warm at best and only have an on or off switch, and a might difficult to install.
    easy install after market heaters that look like a printed circuit board on a plastic self stick pad the weak link on these is the wire connection point so I use a small zip tie about a 1/4 in back so the strain is on the wire and not the point of connection to the elements and one wrap with electrical tape ,some tricks to getting the grips off are air blow gun or a small blunt pc of 1/8 in welding rod working in from the end then rolling and using a sawing action stretching as you work it all the way around to break the glue away this doesn't always work sometimes you just have to cut and get new grips they are that expensive,make sure you leave enough slack for the twisting of throttle I usually come off the bottom toward the front so there is less chance of hooking my finger on the wire pick a switched circuit the trigger the relay most have a 2 position switch which is fine you don't really need the more expensive variable type , I have put this set up on all my toys even my quad with no battery and haven't had any problems with years of use ,the grips with the elements in them are hard and plastic like with the thin elements you can choose your own grips and there are a lot of good choices out there
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Now I know why we studied punctuation in grade school English class!!!!

Spyder Garage

While I can't speak to the F3 specifically, I have installed various brands of aftermarket grip heaters on various motorcycles. For me, the Oxford brand of grip heater seem to be the best. Very good quality, fairly easy to install, and good control mechanisms.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Thanks eveyone for the info. Sounds like a fun cloudy/rainy day project.
    Now I just have to find a switched acc. circuit.
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    Now I know why we studied punctuation in grade school English class!!!!
    As we wonder why some leave the fourm
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

I bought mine for the 2015 F3's from a Spyder Dealership. Installation is always easier the 2nd time but I don't remember it being that difficult once one is familiar with cover disassembly. I have slip on foam hand grips on mine (cut the vibration) & they slowly get somewhat warm but don't leave your cigar lighter at home--I may take the foam grips off as they are showing signs of wear. I rarely ride below 50 degrees--grew up on a dairy farm in the Green Bay, Wisc area--I'm familiar with 25 degrees below zero thus positive 50 degrees is my level of comfort. Sometimes I miss the rock-n-roll of the Rayon tires flat spots in below zero weather especially when the wheels got out of sync :-(
    Darrell
    PS: You haven't lived until you take your car battery back in the house with you every night--it was a very close relationship :-(
    Last edited by Wildrice; 11-23-2018 at 08:15 PM.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Anybody have any experience with HotGrips? They really look like a great alternative.
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S