Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Job Interview Salary Question

Deanna's comment asking about money during her recent job interview reminds me of my experience years ago.

At end of the year in 1974 I was invited by my boss at Corning Glass Works in Pennsylvania to go look for another job. As fortune would have it I snagged an interview in just a few days with the Herr-Voss Corporation north of Pittsburgh. At the end of the visit the HR manager said they'd like me to come work for them. As we talked he finally asked what I wanted for salary.

"What are you willing to pay me?" I asked.
    "I asked first," he said.
    So I said, "Let's each take a piece of paper and write down our numbers, and then show them simultaneously."
    As he got a couple of pieces of paper he was laughing. "I've never done this before!"
    We wrote our numbers, then slapped the papers on the desk. Both were $16,000!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

A career coach I worked with some time back told me how to answer this question. First understand that you will never get more than you ask for. Second, they have no way of knowing exactly what you make in your current position nor any legal way to find out. Third, if you ask for more than they are willing to pay, if they wanted you in the first place, they will counter. If they do not counter or just say its too much, they were not going to hire you in the first place. Lastly know what you are worth and have no fear asking for it. Its not rude or forward and they asked the question.

Those things being what they are and if you are looking at a position roughly equal to what you are currently doing or slightly above, add 20% to your current salary and ask for that. When you give them the number tell them you are looking to get a small bit of a raise to make the move but leave it vague.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    A career coach I worked with some time back told me how to answer this question. First understand that you will never get more than you ask for. Second, they have no way of knowing exactly what you make in your current position nor any legal way to find out. Third, if you ask for more than they are willing to pay, if they wanted you in the first place, they will counter. If they do not counter or just say its too much, they were not going to hire you in the first place. Lastly know what you are worth and have no fear asking for it. Its not rude or forward and they asked the question.
    Good advice, except it may not work quite like that when you're out of a job! In that case a fear of rejection and a sense of insecurity looms right along with the image of the zero paycheck you're bringing home at the moment! And if the reason you're out of a job is because you got fired, then lack of self confidence and self worth can easily rear its head!

I'd hate to be looking for a job today. Many of the old ways and rules have been tossed aside because of the reliance on online recruiting methods. At least that's how I perceive it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Good advice, except it may not work quite like that when you're out of a job! In that case a fear of rejection and a sense of insecurity looms right along with the image of the zero paycheck you're bringing home at the moment! And if the reason you're out of a job is because you got fired, then lack of self confidence and self worth can easily rear its head!

I'd hate to be looking for a job today. Many of the old ways and rules have been tossed aside because of the reliance on online recruiting methods. At least that's how I perceive it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Do some research to understand what the market rate is for the job you are interviewing for and tell them you are seeking to get market rate
    I love how the earth rotates around the sun ... it really makes my day!

Currently Own:

2019 F3 Limited - Vegas White (Dark Edition) - His
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Short reach bars-Center footpegs-Tall boy screen-Flag holders-LED Skidplate-Spydercuffs-Ultimate seat-LED Headlights)
    *** BLOWN MOTOR Apr 21 @3,800 miles, motor replaced by BRP Jun 5, 21 ***

2019 RT Limited - Phoenix Orange (Chrome) - Hers
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Skidplate-Spydercuff-Comfort seat-LED Headlights)

Previously Owned:
    2013 RT SE5 (Orbital Blue) *31,000 Miles* - His
    2012 RT Ltd SE5 (Pink Full Body Wrap) *41,000 Miles* - Hers
    2021 Ryker 900 (Black) Sport Windshield - Foam Grips - Solo Comfort Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are also on-line resources like Glassdoor that list average salaries.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post

Those things being what they are and if you are looking at a position roughly equal to what you are currently doing or slightly above, add 20% to your current salary and ask for that. When you give them the number tell them you are looking to get a small bit of a raise to make the move but leave it vague.
    This is good logic. Thanks.

As to fear of rejection and/or insecurity, I think it's key to not show it when you're in an interview. There's always a possibility of rejection. After all the company is probably interviewing multiple people for one position. So some will necessarily be rejected. You can't take it personally.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As a Business owner: the questions of salary and benefits CAN be a land mine waiting to blow up...
    I view it this way:
    If you approach it cautiously, and make no aggressive moves: you're likely to survive the encounter!

Do your research, and be reasonable.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    As a Business owner: the questions of salary and benefits CAN be a land mine waiting to blow up...
    I view it this way:
    If you approach it cautiously, and make no aggressive moves: you're likely to survive the encounter!

Do your research, and be reasonable.
    x 2 Been on the hiring side also. Usually if the prospective employer gets to the salary or wage question--you have already passed a lot of hurdles.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-23-2018 at 04:11 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When their first question is about salary, vacation time, or benefits: my first question to them is, "Can you find your own way to the door?"

Spyder Garage

When their first question is about salary, vacation time, or benefits: my first question to them is, "Can you find your own way to the door?"
    Reminds me of the time many years ago when I owned a small print shop. During the interview for a helper she kept commenting about how she wanted to learn this and learn that and so on. I sat there thinking, "Yeah, and what do you plan to do for me?" I let her leave knowing I didn't have a position for her.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

When I am at an interview, I ask them about benefits.

The person that is interviewing me asks me about $$$$.

And another ? they ask me is "What are your future goals"?..

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    When I am at an interview, I ask them about benefits.

The person that is interviewing me asks me about $$$$.

And another ? they ask me is "What are your future goals"?..

Deanna
    Job interviewing is always a horrible experience and doesn't get any easier with experience. My view anyway.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

A few years ago I and others were downsized. I found a job but was still looking for a better one, I had lunch one day with a fellow downsized person who asked what I was making and I told him, his response was I wouldn't work for that. Knowing he was still out of work I asked how much he was making, he just looked at me and then I said I am making more than you are. He hasn't talked to since then. Another time I interviewed for a job and asked for $2 more per hour than they had advertised the job at and got $1 more, so I was making at least $1 more that everyone else who had that job. I had the opportunity to be asked by some others what I thought of the pay for the responsibilities of the job, I said "I knew what it paid when I took the job" .
    Last edited by 2Paw; 11-23-2018 at 04:50 PM.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2Paw View Post
    A few years ago I and others were downsized. I found a job but was still looking for a better one, I had lunch one day with a fellow downsized person who asked what I was making and I told him, his response was I wouldn't work for that. Knowing he was still out of work I asked how much he was making, he just looked at me and then I said I am making more than you are. He hasn't talked to since then. Another time I interviewed for a job and asked for $2 more per hour than they had advertised the job at and got $1 more, so I was making at least $1 more that everyone else who had that job. I had the opportunity to be asked by some others what I thought of the pay for the responsibilities of the job, I said "I knew what it paid when I took the job" .
    Sometimes it pays to be bold: other times, it's just smart to fold...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If this is really the case I wouldn't want to work for you. I work to make $. If the $ are good I'll work my ass off for them. Benefits are what set companies apart and make people want to work at a particular company. If I'm at an interview and the "company" is already cheaping out on pay and benefits then you know there is no future there. No future means you are attracting pay check collectors rather than people who want to work hard and make the company and themselves successful.

I'm self employed and I've had plenty of "real jobs" through my life. If your working somewhere that doesn't offer benefits, especially health insurance then you might as well work for yourself. You can be self employed, miis manage and treat yourself just as badly as any employer and pay yourself the same pay you'd find at a "real job".

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    If this is really the case I wouldn't want to work for you. I work to make $. If the $ are good I'll work my ass off for them. Benefits are what set companies apart and make people want to work at a particular company. If I'm at an interview and the "company" is already cheaping out on pay and benefits then you know there is no future there. No future means you are attracting pay check collectors rather than people who want to work hard and make the company and themselves successful.

I'm self employed and I've had plenty of "real jobs" through my life. If your working somewhere that doesn't offer benefits, especially health insurance then you might as well work for yourself. You can be self employed, miis manage and treat yourself just as badly as any employer and pay yourself the same pay you'd find at a "real job".
    Well said.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post

Of course it's important to learn about the pay, benefits, etc., but not in the beginning of an interview. I'm with Bob on this one. Your situation at this point is to convince the employer that you're the best person they could hire for the job. After they know that, then you can negotiate the other stuff.

You may say that it's better to get it out of the way so you won't waste your time or theirs. But I'd say it's always better to leave a good impression with someone who hires people and probably knows other people who hire. Even if you're not the right fit for their opening, they could know people who need your skill-set. Every interview is a networking opportunity.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

What happens if you have work/technical skills that the employer is looking for?

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    What happens if you have work/technical skills that the employer is looking for?

Deanna
    Those skills should make you a more valuable candidate. I would point them out to the prospective employer--but not make a big deal out of it.

Low key, to the point...and if you really like the potential position...don't be afraid to ask for the job. It is akin to closing the sale. Many salespersons miss that part.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-24-2018 at 02:54 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Out of college I went to work for Westinghouse in the Navy Nuclear business. After about a year I decided to answer an ad for an engineer in a potato processing plant. When I was asked why I wanted to leave Westinghouse and change jobs I made several negative comments about my current job. Needless to say, I didn't get an offer. I realized right after the interview if I was being negative about my current employer the interviewer was undoubtedly thinking, "So, how long will be it before he starts being negative about us?" No sane interviewer is going to hire someone who may be coming in with a bunch of negative baggage. In fact, I determined that the best time to change jobs is when everything is going good with the one you have. You will exude a positive attitude that a potential employer will welcome.

When I was asked to leave Corning I asked for, and received, a 3 month reprieve before having to leave. I had several interviews and of course the interviewer wanted to know why I wanted to leave Corning. I simply said, "I don't." "Then why are you leaving?" "I'm just not one of the Friday lunch time beer drinking buddies they want to eventually be the supervisor of the engineering group." You know, in that case being fired seemed to have very little negative impact on my worth as a potential employee.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When they ask you what salary do you want, they don't really care what YOU want. They're really asking what can they afford. Salary (and benefits etc) is a cost to a business. They probably already have a budget of $X, and just seeing if you are willing to work for less or not much more.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now that I am getting older I find that too much skill sets turns away employers a they dont want to pay what your worth. They rather bring in cheap and have a high turn around rate.

Spyder Garage

Sometimes a light hearted approach works! Back in 1984 I was looking for another job as the one I had servicing photocopiers wasn't a good permanent career position. After sending out answers to dozens of employment ads and not getting any responses I was getting fed up with the whole process when I saw the following ad.

You need to read this to fully understand the next item!

Job App 1003.jpg

Here is my response!

Job App 1006.jpg

Believe it or not, I got called in for an interview. In the end the interviewer said he could easily hire someone with more direct experience for less money, but he just had to meet the person who would answer an ad in the way I did! I took that as a compliment about my creativeness!

2014 Copper RTS