Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    145
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Using teflon silicone spray ...

    Has anyone else thought to use Teflon / silicone spray on their Spyder's drive belt ?

    I just thought I'd put it out there ! I've been using it on others now the Spyder for the past 6 months and never had any type of problem at all

    Simply spray it on . wipe off the excess let it sit over-night to soak in and there you go No mess and all too easy !

  2. #2
    Very Active Member jcthorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    5,027
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Why would you do this?

    Blue Flame Spyder F3-S

  3. #3
    Very Active Member Grandpot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Fort Mill, SC
    Posts
    1,452
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Good question.
    2011 RTS
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    Vice President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

  4. #4
    Active Member jlc41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    206
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    I have heard of belt dressing on V belts but not sure about cogged belts. please explain the reason for doing this.
    Happy Thanksgiving to all.

    Joe
    Lamonster Bright Ryder,
    Lamonster Bright Tail Lighter,
    Lamonster H4 LED Headlights,
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights,
    Lamonster Fog Light Ring Combo,
    Rox Riser
    Lamonster Driver Back Rest,
    Lamonster Frame Mount Drink Holder.
    Lamonster 15" Freedom Shield Wind Shield
    ******* USA flag
    Mirror Wedgies by Squared Away
    Spyder Daves Tachform phone cradle
    Spyderpops Turnsignal LEDs
    Spyder Sisters Shade
    Spyderpops LidLocs
    Spyderpops front fender LEDs by Show Chrome

  5. #5
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North Central Florida
    Posts
    2,492
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    NOT a good idea.

    Especially not with anything that really "soaks in", which would weaken the belt over time.

    I suspect what is really happening is that the solvents are evaporating and only the dry lubricant is left.

    I see no reason to apply a dry lubricant to a "toothed" belt like that.

    Teflon (PTFE) and silicone are two different things.

  6. #6
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northern Kalifornia
    Posts
    1,017
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    You could put a little PB&J on it too but it won't help it any. (just razzing you a little) Do your belt a favor and run it dry and keep it adjusted for the rest of it's life. It will return the favor by giving you a long service life. Ask SpyderAnn how long a belt lasts.

  7. #7
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    145
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Each to their own then ...suit yourselves ...

  8. #8
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North Central Florida
    Posts
    2,492
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatenhappy View Post
    Each to their own then ...suit yourselves ...
    I ask again:
    What do you think this accomplishes ??

    If you don't really know what it DOES, you should not be doing it.

    And "Some guy told me......" is not a good reason either.

  9. #9
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    145
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I ask again:
    What do you think this accomplishes ??

    If you don't really know what it DOES, you should not be doing it.

    And "Some guy told me......" is not a good reason either.
    IMO … most anything that reduces heat, drag and friction has got to be a good thing (within reason)

    If in doubt very gingerly try touching your drive belt after a modest run just too see how hot it really does get on a day of mid to average temperatures … you will be amazed …

    I certainly don't come from a back ground of " .. If you don't really know what it DOES, you should not be doing it .." rather than … does this have an improved or adverse effect ?

    I draw comparisons to other heavy laden drive belt situations such as your car's cooling systems, again your car's air conditioner, even a conveyer belt … All produce heat and all get that heat as a result of friction. If not these working belts wouldn't occasionally slip as a direct result of stretching due to stressors and heat and eventually wear out …

    Just because its not be thought about before doesn't mean it shouldn't be … After all, why do they produce drive belt lubricants normally in the form of a heavy white oil base, if I am totally wrong !

  10. #10
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    145
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    You could put a little PB&J on it too but it won't help it any. (just razzing you a little) Do your belt a favor and run it dry and keep it adjusted for the rest of it's life. It will return the favor by giving you a long service life. Ask SpyderAnn how long a belt lasts.
    Apologise up front … I have no clew as to what PB&J is !

  11. #11
    Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie Peter Aawen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Australia; Sth Aust, Adelaide Hills
    Posts
    2,936
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatenhappy View Post
    ......I have no clew as to what PB&J is !

    If I recall the 'Americanism' properly, then PB&J = Peanut Butter & Jelly.
    2013 RT Ltd

  12. #12
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North Central Florida
    Posts
    2,492
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatenhappy View Post
    IMO … most anything that reduces heat, drag and friction has got to be a good thing (within reason)

    Just because its not be thought about before doesn't mean it shouldn't be … After all, why do they produce drive belt lubricants normally in the form of a heavy white oil base, if I am totally wrong !
    A common "drive belt" won't work without some friction on the pulley that it drives.
    That doesn't apply so much to a toothed belt like the Spyder has.

    I have no good idea what "drive belt lubricant" is really supposed to be used for but I suspect some application that is MUCH larger than a motor vehicle.

    I think it is pretty good evidence that NO maker of ANY motor vehicle of any type recommends "lubricating" any of their drive belts.

  13. #13
    Very Active Member PMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    SoFlo
    Posts
    2,351
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    FWIW, there is a Can Am bulletin and maybe more that has you apply a small dab of their multi purpose grease to the pulley teeth to lube the belt.

  14. #14
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northern Kalifornia
    Posts
    1,017
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default LOL.....Peter got.....

    Quote Originally Posted by fatenhappy View Post
    Apologise up front I have no clew as to what PB&J is !
    Just joking with you, but I have heard of what PMK is talking about. A small, and I mean a SMALL, dab of grease on the belt has been reported as not being harmful and possibly a good thing. Just a personal thought, I would guess you'd want to run it dry so as not to be collecting any dirt or dust that could tend to degrade your belt and sprocket over time like micro grains of polishing compound.

  15. #15
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North Central Florida
    Posts
    2,492
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I would guess you'd want to run it dry so as not to be collecting any dirt or dust that could tend to degrade your belt and sprocket over time like micro grains of polishing compound.
    That's one good reason NOT to do it.

    Another is: Once you tell people it is OK to put "stuff" on their belts, that will open the flood gates to all KINDS of stuff........that they heard was OK to use.
    Some of it might actually attack the material the belt is made out of and cause it to fail prematurely.

    You can't fix stupid, but if careful you can minimize it.

  16. #16
    Active Member Igofshn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Lemoore, Ca
    Posts
    58
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    FWIW, there is a Can Am bulletin and maybe more that has you apply a small dab of their multi purpose grease to the pulley teeth to lube the belt.
    On my 2010, I do this about every 1000-2000 miles. It stops the belt from squealing.

  17. #17
    Very Active Member PMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    SoFlo
    Posts
    2,351
    Spyder Garage
    0

  18. #18
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    145
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    That's one good reason NOT to do it.

    Another is: Once you tell people it is OK to put "stuff" on their belts, that will open the flood gates to all KINDS of stuff........that they heard was OK to use.
    Some of it might actually attack the material the belt is made out of and cause it to fail prematurely.

    You can't fix stupid, but if careful you can minimize it.
    I can only guess you are not a happy camper by the insults you keep throwing!

    If you took the time to read my original post I did ask … 'has anyone else thought to try it?' … ' You can't fix stupid, but if careful you can minimize it. ' !

    Mate …. if you can't make other than derogatory comments … DON'T! … Excuse me for thinking or suggesting!

    Try reading some of the Tech Bulletins from Can Am etc … !
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-05-2019 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Removed catty & offensive lang comments.

  19. #19
    Server Admin AnthonyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    mi
    Posts
    1,069
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatenhappy View Post
    I can only guess you are not a happy camper by the insults you keep throwing!

    If you took the time to read my original post I did ask … 'has anyone else thought to try it?' … ' You can't fix stupid, but if careful you can minimize it. '

    Mate …. if you can't make other than derogatory comments … DON'T! … Excuse me for thinking or suggesting!

    Try reading some of the Tech Bulletins from Can Am etc … !
    Consider both of you warned, insulting members isn’t tolerated.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-05-2019 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Updated re orig quoted post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •