Spyder Garage

Post Spyder & Headset

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I need to ask: What is the purpose of pairing your headset with the bike radio? Nothing coming from the radio goes to the headset, no music, no Nav direction. Any sound from the radio goes to speakers. Period. Am I missing something? I have Sena 10
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Spyder Garage

Nope. You figured out the limitations of the BRP Connect system.

If you want music in your headsets, pair your phone to them. If you want the music on the bike speakers, pair to the bike.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder and Headset

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Nope. You figured out the limitations of the BRP Connect system.

If you want music in your headsets, pair your phone to them. If you want the music on the bike speakers, pair to the bike.
    That is exactly what I do. So, why BRP is asking to pair the phone, driver headset and passenger headset? and if you pair the phone and go to any Nav you may have on your phone, the sound still comes from the speaker. Like to know who's the smart engineer who wrote the program for this useless radio.... Except for FM, this radio has no buit in feature whatsoever, none. Everything else must come from your phone. Sad, sad, sad.......

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have it on good authority that the next dash update WILL route the all audio through a paired headset -- if you select to do so. Working from memory, but I believe there is a configuration somewhere that says either "audio to headset" or "speakers off" (or something like that); this is SUPPOSED to route all the output from BRP Connect (music, nav, etc) to a paired headset (but, as you know, does not).

So, be patient …. it is in plan to fix this nagging bug (BRP is well aware of it).

All the best ….. Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Will have to watch this one. You folks are above my pay grade. We use Sena 10's for everything. I also have Windows 7 and a basic trackphone.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Currently I pair my headset to a working phone and get SiriusXM, Waze and Garmin along with phone calls. I use a second old phone paired to the bike with Sygic GPS, Rever and FOBO and I can check the weather if I want. All by using the joystick which is easier than trying to touch the screen.

When I paired to the bike I got phone music, FM music, directions from Genius Maps GPS, Directions from Rever, and phone calls. Using the joystick to control the phone is way easier than trying to touch the phone mounted to the center of my handlebars. When SiriusXM is available in BRP Connect I will go back to pairing to the bike.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I have my sena 20s paired to the bike. My phone paired to the bike. Then in settings you can switch from speakers to headset. My works fine. You cannot have your headset paired to phone and bike. The bluetooth gets confused. You also must have update 13.20 on your screen.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I agree that you can listen to music from your bike to the headset, just not FM. Also you can pair your phone to your headset and the bike, but since the bike system takes so long to "boot" your phone will connect to your headset first. I have the iphone and I pair it to the bike (bluethooth only, I do not plug it in) and I listen to music through the bike to my headset (20EVO). I have my garmin connected to my headset as a second phone to get Nav instructions. If you do not pair your headset to the bike, naturally you cannot hear anything from the bike to your head set. So, pair your headset to the bike and the phone to the bike, select bluetooh as the output and you are good to go. You can change tracks, see the song playing take a call (if you want to) and many other things all through the bike.

Spyder Garage

Ah, and we who may also own a 2018 Goldwing have been complaining about the less then perfect audio/nav system at least get audio to the BT headset! We’ve also had the first of 4 reported update fixes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    I have my sena 20s paired to the bike. My phone paired to the bike. Then in settings you can switch from speakers to headset. My works fine. You cannot have your headset paired to phone and bike. The bluetooth gets confused. You also must have update 13.20 on your screen.
    You may have to enlighten me because nowhere in the setting is there an option to chose headset or speakers. I have a 2018 RT Limited with the fancy digital display, which as far as I'm concerned is a waste of technology. My headset is paired to the bike, my phone is paired to the bike and connected to BRP Connect and still nothing. May be you should take a screen shot of the display showing headset/speakers. May be you have an older model that allow you to do that. Unfortunately, not on the 2018 model. And I do have V.13.20
    Last edited by Bigmo; 11-22-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmo View Post
    You may have to enlighten me because nowhere in the setting is there an option to chose headset or speakers. I have a 2018 RT Limited with the fancy digital display, which as far as I'm concerned is a waste of technology. My headset is paired to the bike, my phone is paired to the bike and connected to BRP Connect and still nothing. May be you should take a screen shot of the display showing headset/speakers. May be you have an older model that allow you to do that. Unfortunately, not on the 2018 model. And I do have V.13.20
    Mine is a 2018. There the same. It is not in settings. Go to music icon. scroll over and up to Configuration click on that. than down to Audio out click that. You should see Speaker. scroll right. You will see Speaker/Helmet. Go up or down to the one you want and push in fob to set. You will see the little helmet icon to the right go solid I think yellow. If your headset is paired it should work.
    Last edited by JP58; 11-22-2018 at 03:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

We have a 2018 RTL. I asked the same basic question here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...68#post1402468

I can't really think of much that I can't do on the phone that the BRP connect does. Through the Sena 20S headsets and the phone I have I can control the music, apps, telephone, texting, connect with 8 other headsets,etc by voice. Plus my wife can control her own phone, listen to her own music, make her own phone calls and still communicate with the intercom. I have to set up my GPS, a Garmin Nuvi 1450, ahead of time or at a stop, but I can control Google Maps, Waze and such on the phone by voice if I need to. I did the same thing with our other trike, a 2004 Goldwing GL1800. The only thing I miss from the 'Wing sound system, and it isn't included on the Spyder radio, is the built in NOAA weather radio.
    Last edited by ozarkryder; 11-23-2018 at 02:00 AM.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkryder View Post
    We have a 2018 RTL. I asked the same basic question here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...68#post1402468

I can't really think of much that I can't do on the phone that the BRP connect does. Through the Sena 20S headsets and the phone I have I can control the music, apps, telephone, texting, connect with 8 other headsets,etc by voice. Plus my wife can control her own phone, listen to her own music, make her own phone calls and still communicate with the intercom. I have to set up my GPS, a Garmin Nuvi 1450, ahead of time or at a stop, but I can control Google Maps, Waze and such on the phone by voice if I need to. I did the same thing with our other trike, a 2004 Goldwing GL1800. The only thing I miss from the 'Wing sound system, and it isn't included on the Spyder radio, is the built in NOAA weather radio.
    You must have good eyes or a large phone. It's hard to see my phone screen in daylight as is most phones. Wouldn't want to try to navigate thru stuff on my phone while riding.

Spyder Garage

Mine is a 2018. There the same. It is not in settings. Go to music icon. scroll over and up to Configuration click on that. than down to Audio out click that. You should see Speaker. scroll right. You will see Speaker/Helmet. Go up or down to the one you want and push in fob to set. You will see the little helmet icon to the right go solid I think yellow. If your headset is paired it should work.
    Thanks. I did that and found the speaker/headset icon. As soon as I confirm headset, I get a message " FM & AUX not available to BT headset". So, even with my phone and headset paired to the radio and set to Headset, now I get a message on my phone saying audio not available and no sound at all from either speaker or headset. Now, I can pair the headset to the phone and works great just not with the bike radio. I have Sena SM10 and the wife has the same and they pair fine. From that point, I'm not able to do anything with the radio until I shut off ignition, restart, reset to speaker to get FM sound.
    This is weird... Is it the headset fault, although I can see it on the configuration and set up. Oh well....

Spyder Garage

I just got my 2018 RT Ltd a few weeks ago and haven't been able to use the BRP connect at all. I have the Sena SRL in my helmet and connect to my phone only. I took it to a local dealer and the guy told me to just use my phone, that the BRP connect is worthless until they put out some updates. Very disappointing.

Spyder Garage

You must have good eyes or a large phone. It's hard to see my phone screen in daylight as is most phones. Wouldn't want to try to navigate thru stuff on my phone while riding.
    The phone is relatively large, and my eyes have been augmented by 2 layers of plastic (cataract surgery and glasses) but for navigation with the phone, which very rarely happens, I just follow the voice directions. I prefer a dedicated GPS for navigation.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can't have the headset paired to the phone AND to the bike. Remove any headset pairing to the phone and pair to the bike and you will get music and sounds to the headset from the phone. Make sure all firmware and Phone OS is up to date. (headset too)
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I have an ‘18 RTL. I pair my phone and Sena 30K to Spyder (and have phone connected to USB in Frunk) and I can hear my music and navigation through helmet. Just not FM. The only problem I’m having now is making calls via Sena Voice commands (speed dials ) but I’m sure I just have something set wrong. Also have 13.20 update. Sound is much better/louder after that update.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    You can't have the headset paired to the phone AND to the bike. Remove any headset pairing to the phone and pair to the bike and you will get music and sounds to the headset from the phone. Make sure all firmware and Phone OS is up to date. (headset too)
    Not sure if this is accurate. I have an Iphone 8+ and have it paired to my 20s Evo and the bike. When I do this I have to go to settings on the phone and select the bluetooth connection I would like to use. The bike system boots up to slow so the headset always connects to the phone first. When I look at my bluetooth settings I have 5 different things that I can connect to including my home phone system, my car, the bike and two headsets. It is important that you do make sure the firmware of the bike is updated to the latest.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmo View Post
    Thanks. I did that and found the speaker/headset icon. As soon as I confirm headset, I get a message " FM & AUX not available to BT headset". So, even with my phone and headset paired to the radio and set to Headset, now I get a message on my phone saying audio not available and no sound at all from either speaker or headset. Now, I can pair the headset to the phone and works great just not with the bike radio. I have Sena SM10 and the wife has the same and they pair fine. From that point, I'm not able to do anything with the radio until I shut off ignition, restart, reset to speaker to get FM sound.
    This is weird... Is it the headset fault, although I can see it on the configuration and set up. Oh well....
    The headset will not work on FM radio or Aux. Only on bluetooth with your music on the phone. Not sure if sm10 is compatible to brp connect. 20s is.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by maxxheadroom View Post
    Not sure if this is accurate. I have an Iphone 8+ and have it paired to my 20s Evo and the bike. When I do this I have to go to settings on the phone and select the bluetooth connection I would like to use. The bike system boots up to slow so the headset always connects to the phone first. When I look at my bluetooth settings I have 5 different things that I can connect to including my home phone system, my car, the bike and two headsets. It is important that you do make sure the firmware of the bike is updated to the latest.
    The bluetooth may have changed since the bike first came out but the headset connects to the phone via the bike so having both connections makes it more complicated.

To make/receive, calls you use the joystick and can make calls while the bike is moving. You can make changes to the GPS while the bike is moving but must be stopped to start music from the phone. One music is playing you can switch to GPS or other app and still hear music.

The Genius Maps or Sygic GPS is a dedicated GPS but shows up through the dash which makes it much easier to glance at compared to a Garmin unit. Why spend $1000 + to buy/install a Garmin when you can buy a used iPhone6+ for $200, put Garmin on it for $40 and provide power to it and have the same thing? The phone does not have to have cell service as the GPS antenna works without it. The map data is downloaded to the phone so it's just like a Garmin unit.

Currently I use an iPhone 8 paired to the bike with Sygic GPS, Rever, FOBO and Weather. I use my iPhone XsMax paired to the headset with SiriusXM, Waze and Garmin if I need it.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Cowgirl View Post
    I have it on good authority that the next dash update WILL route the all audio through a paired headset -- if you select to do so. Working from memory, but I believe there is a configuration somewhere that says either "audio to headset" or "speakers off" (or something like that); this is SUPPOSED to route all the output from BRP Connect (music, nav, etc) to a paired headset (but, as you know, does not).

So, be patient …. it is in plan to fix this nagging bug (BRP is well aware of it).

All the best ….. Ann
    Thank you for the post.
    You were stating that there maybe a dash upgrade as you mentioned, well the manual for the 2019 shows different screen shot compared to the 2018 manual.
    One item in the 2019 manual shows "Distance to empty" on the screen.
    In the 2019 manual it shows "speaker audio output" and helmet audio output" telltale lights.
    You can also adjust the volume different for music and announcements.
    It does not say, or say if you can listen to FM over BT.
    I called my dealer and so far they do not have any 2019 RT limited in so I can check it out.
    There service department as of 1-3-19 has not heard of a new flash for the 2018 spyders.
    I hope the 2019 dash software is the same as the 2018 dash software and the flash will be simple.
    JD