Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What was wrong with the way it was?

I guess this question is directed to Lamont as this is his forum. Before the "upgraded" changes, this forum was easy to use and predictable. With the "upgrade" I find it not as user friendly. I am one of those who almost exclusively used the "whats new" catagory. I "get it" that after I read something in the "whats new" catgory that it is no longer new to me. But the catagory is "whats new" NOT "whats new to me". There are 20 different catagories plus Home, Store, and Gallery. It is difficult for me to go back to "where I was" in a given day to see responses or make additions to a thread I am interested in. Previously, it was easy because I "lived" in the "whats new" catagory. Now I have over 20 different catagories where my interests could be. In fact, after posting this initial post, It does not come up when I click on "whats new". I also "get it" that there are things I can do to click here, click there. pull up key words, etc. to try to locate what I want. But why? Were there people who were having trouble navigating the forum in it's old configuration? Frankly I found the old configuration easy. The new "upgraded" configuration is combersome and is leaving me with over 8 pages of "Whats New". Sorry to be such a nag but I no longer feel at home in this forum. Perhaps many or most of the members who are more techie than I find it good. I don't. So, what was wrong with the way it was.....?
    Last edited by canamjhb; 11-19-2018 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Additional info
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

As a person who also lived by the "whats new" section--I am also feeling your pain. I was talking with someone about 1" risers for handlebars. Posted, and then remembered some more information. Poof...the thread is gone and I cannot find it. I used to be able to find stuff at will.

I don't think you are alone here. Maybe another tweek or two in the upcoming days.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    As a person who also lived by the "whats new" section--I am also feeling your pain. I was talking with someone about 1" risers for handlebars. Posted, and then remembered some more information. Poof...the thread is gone and I cannot find it. I used to be able to find stuff at will.

I don't think you are alone here. Maybe another tweek or two in the upcoming days.
    ....... I am also one of the " what's new " knowledge seekers !!! …… However I realized quite awhile ago that using the " what have posted on feature " can get you to your most interested in posts / threads...……...Then I go back to " What's New " and browse for other interesting posts …...jmho ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

As resistant to change as many of us old farts are supposed to be, I like the changes.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I’ve been “bookmarking “ the threads I’m interested in following up on. That seems to work.
    I’d say about 85% of my “Spyder knowledge “ has been obtained using this forum. It’s the only Spyder forum I’m using these days. Considering it’s free... I’ll just roll with the changes and be thankful this website exists. A lot of you have provided me with tremendous knowledge/advice that has saved me countless hours of independent research.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Spyder Garage

All good information above. Thanks.

The "view your threads" area will take you to "view all your posts." A round about way of finding what I want--but it works.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-19-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    As resistant to change as many of us old farts are supposed to be, I like the changes.
    You are helping to make my point. Changes are good as long as they are beneficial. But changes for the sake of change are not. Again, I pose the question; What was wrong with the way it was? It was simple to use and effective. The audiance of this forum are mostly middle age and older. I have no use for a system designed for 20-30 something year olds. And, I have yet to find any changes that I like. But, I am open minded to try to know of any.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Please keep in mind that AnthonyG (the server admin) and not Lamonster (the content admin and board owner) is responsible for the changes. He really had no choice in doing this upgrade as one of the underlying pieces of code (PHP, I think) was running an older version that is going EOL (End of Life) next month. Had AnthonyG not taken the steps to upgrade to a newer version of software that is fully supported, the Spyderlovers forum itself was at serious risk. Bringing it back to life would have been far more difficult than this transition has been. It is the same forum SW, just a newer version with some added / changed features. As a retired Software Engineer, I commend AnthonyG for his efforts and also for taking additional measures to help with the transition (see below, for one of them).

I, too, was a "what's new" junkie and have now found that I flip back and forth between "what's new" and "today's posts" (and AnthonyG has moved this right next to "what's new" … this way, if I have not made any updates yet, I just do as I always did and look at what's new. However, if I have made an update or started a new thread, I then go to "today's posts" to get back to a view that shows me what I just did. In addition, I like changes such as …. the division in the view that says shows posts I haven't looked at (so, technically new to me) but that have no updates. I also like the color coding of the Admin, Moderator, and Peon in the avatar names and the "who's on" display.

So, some of this takes getting used to … I agree. But, AnthonyG really had no choice …. and I am sure he got Lamonts approval before proceeding.

All the best …. Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

I am fine with the changes myself. I can still use the site, get information, see new threads, respond to ones I've been involved with just fine.

Regarding EOL, I believe that is correct. At my office, they are rolling with new updates before the end of year because of the issues around IE and old windows no longer being supported. Need to roll into the new coding to prevent corruption and possible loss of information, which would be awful for a site like this.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I guess this question is directed to Lamont as this is his forum. Before the "upgraded" changes, this forum was easy to use and predictable. With the "upgrade" I find it not as user friendly. I am one of those who almost exclusively used the "whats new" catagory. I "get it" that after I read something in the "whats new" catgory that it is no longer new to me. But the catagory is "whats new" NOT "whats new to me". There are 20 different catagories plus Home, Store, and Gallery. It is difficult for me to go back to "where I was" in a given day to see responses or make additions to a thread I am interested in. Previously, it was easy because I "lived" in the "whats new" catagory. Now I have over 20 different catagories where my interests could be. In fact, after posting this initial post, It does not come up when I click on "whats new". I also "get it" that there are things I can do to click here, click there. pull up key words, etc. to try to locate what I want. But why? Were there people who were having trouble navigating the forum in it's old configuration? Frankly I found the old configuration easy. The new "upgraded" configuration is combersome and is leaving me with over 8 pages of "Whats New". Sorry to be such a nag but I no longer feel at home in this forum. Perhaps many or most of the members who are more techie than I find it good. I don't. So, what was wrong with the way it was.....?
    The reason "What's New" is different is because Vbulletin removed an option on the backend, ive been trying to avoid this answer as most arent going to know WTH im talking about.

Thread/Post Marking used to have 3 options, 90% of Vbulletin owners/admins, always used Cookie, Vbulletin decided in their infinite wisdom to remove 2 options, leaving us with automatic database marking, Cookie which is what was used here since i set it up years ago, no longer exists.

What's New can no longer keep track of what you read or didnt read the old way, there is no way to change it back.

I've added a few things to make stuff easier for you all after this change.

It was also posted as to why the upgrade happened, just like past upgrades, it was required to keep inline with php 5.6 going EOL next month, php 7 is now installed on the server, vbulletin 4.2.3 the old version here, dont work on php 7, thus, vbulletin 4.2.5 was installed & is the last of the 4.x.x series.

The site is exactly as it was before, minus the thread marking functions & how Whats New worked.

If you think this version is bad, try a site running vbulletin 5.

As Lamont is laid up due to being Ill, i wouldnt expect an answer any time soon from him.

I took over running the site for him until he is back on his feet.

5 yrs ago i was going to turn options on he always had off, ie quick reply & a few others, at this point, im able to run amuk until he is back lol
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Cowgirl View Post
    I also like the color coding of the Admin, Moderator, and Peon in the avatar names and the "who's on" display.

So, some of this takes getting used to … I agree. But, AnthonyG really had no choice …. and I am sure he got Lamonts approval before proceeding.

All the best …. Ann
    I never said PEON's in the PM lmfao....
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

We all like to live with the "Comfortable Shoe Syndrome" and find change awkward. After awhile we will all get used to the changes. I actually like them.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Once I figured out that using today's posts works almost exactly like the old what's new. I don't really have anything to complain about. Also like the shortcut, view your threads or posts, that AnthonyG added.

AnthonyG since you have added the Quick Reply option. The reply to thread button does not work any more. Why don't you just remove it?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Once I figured out that using today's posts works almost exactly like the old what's new. I don't really have anything to complain about. Also like the shortcut, view your threads or posts, that AnthonyG added.

AnthonyG since you have added the Quick Reply option. The reply to thread button does not work any more. Why don't you just remove it?
    Technically it will work if you type something in the quick reply box, then click it, it will take you to the full editor page, like clicking go advanced.

Im not sure why Vb left it in the style after quick reply is on, i may remove it later on, not sure.
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

Hi canamjhb,

Re: Before the "upgraded" changes, this forum was easy to use and predictable.

Think about it as a new wife. She will do the same things as the old one did; but you have to find out new things about her.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    ...AnthonyG since you have added the Quick Reply option. The reply to thread button does not work any more. Why don't you just remove it?
    On my computer, clicking the Reply to Thread button puts the the cursor in the Quick Reply window.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

It should do that as well.
    2018 F3 , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi canamjhb,

Re: Before the "upgraded" changes, this forum was easy to use and predictable.

Think about it as a new wife. She will do the same things as the old one did; but you have to find out new things about her.

Jerry Baumchen
    You've been married before: haven't you?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 11-19-2018 at 06:44 PM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    The reason "What's New" is different is because Vbulletin removed an option on the backend, ive been trying to avoid this answer as most arent going to know WTH im talking about.

Thread/Post Marking used to have 3 options, 90% of Vbulletin owners/admins, always used Cookie, Vbulletin decided in their infinite wisdom to remove 2 options, leaving us with automatic database marking, Cookie which is what was used here since i set it up years ago, no longer exists.

What's New can no longer keep track of what you read or didnt read the old way, there is no way to change it back.

I've added a few things to make stuff easier for you all after this change.

It was also posted as to why the upgrade happened, just like past upgrades, it was required to keep inline with php 5.6 going EOL next month, php 7 is now installed on the server, vbulletin 4.2.3 the old version here, dont work on php 7, thus, vbulletin 4.2.5 was installed & is the last of the 4.x.x series.

The site is exactly as it was before, minus the thread marking functions & how Whats New worked.

If you think this version is bad, try a site running vbulletin 5.
    Anthony, thanks for all your hard work. I think detailed explanations are good (IT is my day job). The bottom line people that still may not understand...if Anthony didn't spend time NOW to upgrade to the new software, SpyderLovers.com likely would have gone bye bye in 2019. The software developers (for vBulletin or PHP) and the web hosting companies are forcing website owners to using newer software that runs PHP 7 (as opposed to PHP 5). So in my book this is a good thing that vBulletin was upgraded now. This isn't just a SpyderLovers or vBulletin thing but also affects other web software out there too. For example, my favorite is Drupal and the developers made similar announcements of the need to upgrade: https://dri.es/the-end-of-php-5

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

Highwayman2013,

Can you give an easy lesson on how you did the rotation, as the explanation given in another thread (by another member) when waaaaaaay over my head.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    As a person who also lived by the "whats new" section--I am also feeling your pain.
    I have suggested that you use the "Subscribed threads" function to completely eliminate your pain.
    But it seems that nobody is listening.

There IS a solution.
    Or do you just enjoy complaining.

Not nice to bite the hand that feeds you.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Highwayman2013,

Can you give an easy lesson on how you did the rotation, as the explanation given in another thread (by another member) when waaaaaaay over my head.
    If I understand the other post …. it is pretty simple and involves editing the picture (without actually making any real changes to it). For example:
    Let's say I take a picture with my phone and it is "landscape" with the photo button on the right. I think the picture is fine, but when I transfer it to my computer and look at it with a picture viewer it is sideways -- this is because the picture is tied to a corner (anchored) and it doesn't matter than I tilted my phone. So, the solution is to bring the picture up in a photo capable editor (like paint), make sure it is oriented correctly, and save it with a new name. This will create a new anchor point for the photo and insure that it is oriented properly when uploaded to the forum.

Hope that helps ….. Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Default Just waiting...

just waiting.... till the dust settles then go learn the site again. Not a problem....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had only one problem with the upgrade, and now that it has been explained how to preview my post, it is fine for me. I feel the whole problem has to do with being comfortable with the old, and having to learn the new.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold