Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Two people, differing opinions, just keep it from being nasty with each other.
    Pulled mine.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by deer30084 View Post
    I never saw the need to rebuild my Spyder with an aftermarket swaybar nor have it laser aligned just as I never saw the need to rebuild the front end of my Chevy truck. I'm sorry guys, but that's the truth.
    Deer30084, they tell you that the only reason you don't need these "upgrades" is because you are only 125 lbs. I am 6'-4" and 200 lbs and my wife almost always rydes with me. That's a total of over 300 lbs and yet my Spyder tracks and handles great with the factory equipment and settings. And I bought my Spyder brand new from the dealer, which also disproves the all-caps "FACT" that all Spyders come misaligned from the factory. Maybe some do but that doesn't make it an all-caps "FACT." And saying that the "vast" number of Spyders need this stuff is a "vast" exaggeration. If the Spyders were all misaligned from the factory and really needed the aftermarket swaybar so much, why did anyone ever buy them in the first place? There have been something like 100,000 Spyders sold since they came out a little over 10 years ago. Exactly how many aftermarket swaybars have been installed out of that 100,000? I'd like to see a statistic on that. If there have been 1000 aftermarket swaybars installed, I'll be very surprised and that would be a whopping 1% of all Spyders. I would never argue that some people probably do need change and upgrades and realignments, but don't tell me that the "vast" number of them "need" it because it's a "FACT" that they're all misaligned. There are no generalizations here.
    Last edited by johnsimion; 11-23-2018 at 02:37 PM.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Deer30084, they tell you that the only reason you don't need these "upgrades" is because you are only 125 lbs. I am 6'-4" and 200 lbs and my wife almost always rydes with me. That's a total of over 300 lbs and yet my Spyder tracks and handles great with the factory equipment and settings. And I bought my Spyder brand new from the dealer, which also disproves the all-caps "FACT" that all Spyders come misaligned from the factory. Maybe some do but that doesn't make it an all-caps "FACT." And saying that the "vast" number of Spyders need this stuff is a "vast" exaggeration. If the Spyders were all misaligned from the factory and really needed the aftermarket swaybar so much, why did anyone ever buy them in the first place? There have been something like 100,000 Spyders sold since they came out a little over 10 years ago. Exactly how many aftermarket swaybars have been installed out of that 100,000? I'd like to see a statistic on that. If there have been 1000 aftermarket swaybars installed, I'll be very surprised and that would be a whopping 1% of all Spyders. I would never argue that some people probably do need change and upgrades and realignments, but don't tell me that the "vast" number of them "need" it because it's a "FACT" that they're all misaligned. There are no generalizations here.
    Amen.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

How many days until spring for those of you stuck to driving your keyboard???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I’m quite certain there have been way more than 1,000 sway bars installed, and we have personally aligned well over 1,000 Spyders.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks? Seems they are both just coffee, is one actually better.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    How many days until spring for those of you stuck to driving your keyboard???
    It all depends ....

...on whether Spring is a date, or a 'feeling', or a certain type of weather?

...on where you live
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I’m quite certain there have been way more than 1,000 sway bars installed, and we have personally aligned well over 1,000 Spyders.
    Seriously, don’t bother.

As the cops say, move along, nothing to see here.

Hopefully Route 1 gets the original guys front end sorted out tommorrow.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks? Seems they are both just coffee, is one actually better.
    One is definitely pricier and appeals to a different demographic!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    It all depends ....

...on whether Spring is a date, or a 'feeling', or a certain type of weather?

...on where you live

Oh, so we could discuss this with no correct answer until spring does arrive. But which Spring.

Oil threads are so much easier. Every other oil is crap except what I put in our Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    One is definitely pricier and appeals to a different demographic!

You avoided the question, is one better.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You avoided the question, is one better.
    YES. Maybe NO. Definite maybe.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Seriously, don’t bother.

As the cops say, move along, nothing to see here.

Hopefully Route 1 gets the original guys front end sorted out tommorrow.
    True, and I hope he gets new tires out of them too
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I’ve got To chime in and say the laser alignment and sway bar made a big difference in the way mine handles. My neighbor noticed so much that he is going to have his done next year.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

JohnSimion,
    Bring it by and I’ll check it for free. You might have a good one from the factory. If so, great. If not, I’ll fix it. Then you ride it, and share your thoughts. Front end alignment has been a known issue since these first came out. So much so that the manual claims that uneven tire wear is normal, and alignment is not a warranty item. Yet, even with the Ryker, laser alignment is recommended. Until the Rolo laser alignment system was introduced, the factory changed the process every year, struggling to find an answer. Once it was presented to them, BRP issued memos that told dealers to buy that system. Some did, some did not. Should every dealer do them? Yes. Do they? No. But, look at your warranty, you will see it is specifically not covered!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    JohnSimion,
    Bring it by and I’ll check it for free. You might have a good one from the factory. If so, great. If not, I’ll fix it. Then you ride it, and share your thoughts. Front end alignment has been a known issue since these first came out. So much so that the manual claims that uneven tire wear is normal, and alignment is not a warranty item. Yet, even with the Ryker, laser alignment is recommended. Until the Rolo laser alignment system was introduced, the factory changed the process every year, struggling to find an answer. Once it was presented to them, BRP issued memos that told dealers to buy that system. Some did, some did not. Should every dealer do them? Yes. Do they? No. But, look at your warranty, you will see it is specifically not covered!
    Thank you for the offer, but for now I will pass. I hear very good things about your service, but my motto has always been, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Right now I feel very secure as I fly around corners and I can take my hands off the handlebar on a level road and my Spyder will track in a straight line. Unless and until that changes, I'm leaving well enough alone. If my situation changes, I will definitely contact you.

For the record, I never meant to imply that there aren't Spyders out there that need alignment. Far from it. Probably lots of them, because alignment on any vehicle can be thrown off by something as simple as hitting a pothole. It may be as some have commented, that weight of the rider(s) has something to do with the alignment. And yes, I'm sure that **some** Spyders do come misaligned from the factory. There is no factory in the world that produces a 100% perfect product. I just object to generalizing that "all" Spyders come misaligned from the factory.

I found this quote on Lamonster Garage pertaining to laser alignment: "If you own a Spyder, even a brand new Spyder there's a 99.9% chance that the alignment is not perfect. It may be within factory spec but it's not within our spec here at Lamonster Garage." I think this sums it up perfectly. My own alignment may not be perfect but it is clearly within factory spec. It's not Lamonster perfect or Squared Away perfect, but it's good enough that a noob like me doesn't know better!

You are correct that there is no warranty coverage for alignment, but the exact exclusion in the Spyder booklet says: "Tune ups and adjustments including without limitation adjustments of belt, alignment and wheel balance." Those are maintenance issues. Furthermore, according to my own research this is no different than on a car -- alignment always seems to be considered a maintenance issue. See https://www.carchex.com/research-cen...in-warranties/. I even looked in the warranty booklet of my BMW (car) and guess what, alignment is excluded. I'm not making excuses for the manufacturers, but the situation makes sense because you could be perfectly aligned when you leave the dealer (be that BMW dealer or Spyder dealer) and hit a big pothole 50' down the road and throw off your alignment right then and there -- and I don't know any warranty that would cover that situation.

I looked in my owner's guide and don't really agree with your reading of the manual on tire wear. This is the actual text from my manual: "It is normal to see uneven wear on tires depending on how the vehicle is driven and road conditions. The front tires external or internal edges and the rear tire center tread will wear unevenly depending on if the vehicle is driven smoothly or aggressively." That sounds like pretty typical weasel words for a warranty. Also, it would be pretty easy for them to say the uneven wear was caused by improper maintenance -- and as I pointed out, alignment is considered to be a maintenance issue.

I also didn't mean to imply that the aftermarket swaybar isn't a benefit. I am 100% certain it is a better piece than stock and it may well be a benefit **for those riders sensitive enough to know the difference** or those who simply want something better than stock. If riders think it will be a benefit, I absolutely think they should upgrade. I just don't like generalizations that imply that the aftermarket swaybar is a **necessity**. It may very well be an improvement, but it's certainly not a necessity. Those of us who are relatively new to Spyders can read this stuff and think OMG, there's a big problem with my Spyder and I have to do this ... and that's simply not true. You can worry yourself sick over this stuff and 99.9% of the time it doesn't even make a difference.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

The laser alignment worked for us. Both machines ran better than new when Squared Away did ours. PS. I had both machines aligned within a year from the dealer--they did not use Rolo, and have never done it.

Linda's comment when she drove hers after the alignment--wow! this is like a different machine. S/A said hers was one of the worst they ever dealt with.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I think you missed Joe’s point, John. He was not saying “bring it here and I’ll change it”. He was offering you to “bring it here and I’ll check it’s current settings for free, and if it is not in spec I can set it if you want”. It would be very interesting to most members to see if yours had actually been set perfectly at the factory/dealer, or if it is simply that its current setting just suits you.

Peteh
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Exactly. Even when they are close, we ask if they want it done or not. One of the most common remarks are “WOW, I thought it was fine”, and “Boy, what a difference!” We love to ride, and making the Spyder handle properly lets other people love it too!
    Joe Meyer

Spyder Garage

OK, the outcome to my alignment issue. I took the bike in this morning. I had typed out what I had found and how it handled and gave this to them. It's much easier for me to have it typed out so I can state everything that needs to be said without getting wound up saying it. It helps to approach them with a good attitude with these issues. Anyway, after 2 1/2 hours the service manager comes out and tells me they had set it 1 inch in the wrong direction and reset it correctly (that would be 2 inches off). Anyway he tells me it was their error and would I like them to put on a new set of tires free of charge to make up for it. Well I tell them don't t bother.... Yah right. I said thank you and yes, I would like a new set of tires. So, Route 1 Motorsports in Palm Bay (they relocated and have a new facility) stood behind their work and made good for their error. They were good to work with and I wouldn't hessitate going back there for future service. No charge for anything, just a hand shake and off I went. What a difference in ride, awesome. I'm now a happy camper again.
    Life is attitude, be positive!

Spyder Garage

Good deal! Glad it worked out, and the bike handles as it should. A good alignment makes the world of difference!
    Joe Meyer

Spyder Garage

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Many
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by deer30084 View Post
    I never saw the need to rebuild my Spyder with an aftermarket swaybar nor have it laser aligned just as I never saw the need to rebuild the front end of my Chevy truck. I'm sorry guys, but that's the truth.
    You remind me of RoadKill. He said the sway bar was a scam until he put one on.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by always young View Post
    OK, the outcome to my alignment issue. I took the bike in this morning. I had typed out what I had found and how it handled and gave this to them. It's much easier for me to have it typed out so I can state everything that needs to be said without getting wound up saying it. It helps to approach them with a good attitude with these issues. Anyway, after 2 1/2 hours the service manager comes out and tells me they had set it 1 inch in the wrong direction and reset it correctly (that would be 2 inches off). Anyway he tells me it was their error and would I like them to put on a new set of tires free of charge to make up for it. Well I tell them don't t bother.... Yah right. I said thank you and yes, I would like a new set of tires. So, Route 1 Motorsports in Palm Bay (they relocated and have a new facility) stood behind their work and made good for their error. They were good to work with and I wouldn't hessitate going back there for future service. No charge for anything, just a hand shake and off I went. What a difference in ride, awesome. I'm now a happy camper again.
    Glad you got a good outcome. We have been to the old Route 1, and now the new shop also. Awesome they admitted the mistake and offered to fully correct it.

Route 1 and Central Florida Powersports both typically get high marks in regards to Can Am work and customer service.

I use CFPS when needed. Drive 150 miles or so one way to get there.

Locally we have a bunch of Broward Motorsports dealerships. Regarding Spyders and service, enter at your own risk.

Glad you got it fixed, certainly must feel tight in the steering compared to before with so much toe out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Thank you for the offer, but for now I will pass. I hear very good things about your service, but my motto has always been, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Right now I feel very secure as I fly around corners and I can take my hands off the handlebar on a level road and my Spyder will track in a straight line. Unless and until that changes, I'm leaving well enough alone. If my situation changes, I will definitely contact you.

For the record, I never meant to imply that there aren't Spyders out there that need alignment. Far from it. Probably lots of them, because alignment on any vehicle can be thrown off by something as simple as hitting a pothole. It may be as some have commented, that weight of the rider(s) has something to do with the alignment. And yes, I'm sure that **some** Spyders do come misaligned from the factory. There is no factory in the world that produces a 100% perfect product. I just object to generalizing that "all" Spyders come misaligned from the factory.

I found this quote on Lamonster Garage pertaining to laser alignment: "If you own a Spyder, even a brand new Spyder there's a 99.9% chance that the alignment is not perfect. It may be within factory spec but it's not within our spec here at Lamonster Garage." I think this sums it up perfectly. My own alignment may not be perfect but it is clearly within factory spec. It's not Lamonster perfect or Squared Away perfect, but it's good enough that a noob like me doesn't know better!

You are correct that there is no warranty coverage for alignment, but the exact exclusion in the Spyder booklet says: "Tune ups and adjustments including without limitation adjustments of belt, alignment and wheel balance." Those are maintenance issues. Furthermore, according to my own research this is no different than on a car -- alignment always seems to be considered a maintenance issue. See https://www.carchex.com/research-cen...in-warranties/. I even looked in the warranty booklet of my BMW (car) and guess what, alignment is excluded. I'm not making excuses for the manufacturers, but the situation makes sense because you could be perfectly aligned when you leave the dealer (be that BMW dealer or Spyder dealer) and hit a big pothole 50' down the road and throw off your alignment right then and there -- and I don't know any warranty that would cover that situation.

I looked in my owner's guide and don't really agree with your reading of the manual on tire wear. This is the actual text from my manual: "It is normal to see uneven wear on tires depending on how the vehicle is driven and road conditions. The front tires external or internal edges and the rear tire center tread will wear unevenly depending on if the vehicle is driven smoothly or aggressively." That sounds like pretty typical weasel words for a warranty. Also, it would be pretty easy for them to say the uneven wear was caused by improper maintenance -- and as I pointed out, alignment is considered to be a maintenance issue.

I also didn't mean to imply that the aftermarket swaybar isn't a benefit. I am 100% certain it is a better piece than stock and it may well be a benefit **for those riders sensitive enough to know the difference** or those who simply want something better than stock. If riders think it will be a benefit, I absolutely think they should upgrade. I just don't like generalizations that imply that the aftermarket swaybar is a **necessity**. It may very well be an improvement, but it's certainly not a necessity. Those of us who are relatively new to Spyders can read this stuff and think OMG, there's a big problem with my Spyder and I have to do this ... and that's simply not true. You can worry yourself sick over this stuff and 99.9% of the time it doesn't even make a difference.
    Excellent comments.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit