Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Admittedly, the following article is from Optima, but it is arguably still pertinent:

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...tery-terminals

Certainly in my experience (albeit mainly with car, 4WD, & truck batteries) there is probably no worse way to lift a battery than by the terminals! You might be lucky & THINK you've gotten away with it because things didn't spark or short out immediately, but usually the internal damage that is almost always caused will show up when you least need/want it to!

I really do hope you don't find out the hard way, but I suspect (or is that expect?) that you just might....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-21-2018 at 11:27 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Admittedly, the following article is from Optima, but it is still pertinent:

You're kidding!!! This is how not to lift a CAR battery as it's much heavier than our M/C batteries and the hooks I'm talking about go into the terminals and easily HELP to lift out. Not carry, not continue to handle, just enough to pull the battery out as it's very difficult. Jeeze!
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 11-21-2018 at 11:29 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Admittedly, the following article is from Optima, but it is arguably still pertinent:

Certainly in my experience (albeit mainly with car, 4WD, & truck batteries) there is probably no worse way to lift a battery than by the terminals!
    IIRC, about 60 years ago there were carrying straps made to carry 6 volt car batteries by the terminals. Were batteries just made much more rugged back then, or did nobody really recognize the potential for damage?

Edit: O'Reilly Auto Parts has a strap for carrying golf cart batteries by the terminals.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 11-21-2018 at 11:42 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Idaho, I suspect that there might be some truth in your thought that batteries were just made that more rugged back then, but even so, those straps were only ever used for a short period before their failings became obvious! Check out the article - it was just the first on the list of many that came up on a simple search.... But in any case, they were very rarely used in manufacturing &/or by those who handled batteries a lot. In fact, the frequency & severity of injuries to the user &/or damage to the batteries was so bad that those straps were banned as being 'dangerously unsafe' by the automotive industry here in Aust (aka the Nanny State that legislates to protect the lowest common denominator! )
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can easily fashion a "strap" for the new battery with some duct tape, avoiding terminals.
    I had a hell of time trying to remove a battery from my Spyder. Maybe my hands just aren't strong enough.
    Admittedly, I removed used, dead or dying batteries by the terminals for years. Didn't worry about the damage done, because it was going in the trash anyway.
    YMMV

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandeejs View Post
    You can easily fashion a "strap" for the new battery with some duct tape, avoiding terminals.
    I had a hell of time trying to remove a battery from my Spyder. Maybe my hands just aren't strong enough.
    Admittedly, I removed used, dead or dying batteries by the terminals for years. Didn't worry about the damage done, because it was going in the trash anyway.
    YMMV

~Sandee~
    Exactly, I didn't need the strap for the new one just to get the old one out. Good idea to use duck tape on new battery so when it needs to be replaced it will be easy to get it out.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandeejs View Post
    I had a hell of time trying to remove a battery from my Spyder. Maybe my hands just aren't strong enough. ~Sandee~
    Good idea.
    2014 RTL Platinum