Spyder Garage

Default Security of Madstad Windshield Mounting

Hi!

I just got and installed a Madstad windshield for my 2018 F3-S. I like it, but the way the windscreen mounts onto the Madstad frame does not inspire confidence. In fact, during installation, I mistakenly over-tightened one of the screws and pulled the rubber grommet out through the front of the windshield. I?m imagining the wind at 70 mph buffeting the windshield, and the idea of the windshield pulling off is concerning. I?m looking for advice/reassurance before I venture out into the New Jersey cold weather to test it.

Thanks!

David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJS View Post
    Hi!

I just got and installed a Madstad windshield for my 2018 F3-S. I like it, but the way the windscreen mounts onto the Madstad frame does not inspire confidence. ...
    To possibly answer my own question, I think I may have put the washers on incorrectly. The order I had was (screw head, plastic washer, windshield, rubber washer, threaded grommet). I?ve reversed the plastic washer and rubber washer now, so the plastic washer sits in front of the rubber grommet. That should keep the grommet from pulling through the windshield. Feels much more secure. User error.

Spyder Garage

Hahaha.....a user error not made by you alone, David

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I have had a Madstad for about 4K miles now and 2x the two hand screws loosened and shield tlted back. No harm just surprised me a little. Have gotten into habit now of just giving inns a quick test when I first start out.
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents