Spyder Garage

Default Thinking about a gel seat

Has anyone had a gel pad installed inside their original seat and did it make much difference?I had a old Airhawk and it helped a lot when I let my tailbone hang over the back edge.Unfortunately it started leaking in the middle of a trip and I wasn't crazy about sitting higher than normal either.I see Motorcycle Dave is having a sale and Im thinking about having him put one in for me.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

I did it on my Harley, and for me, it didn't do what I wanted. Gel is not very forgiving. It doesn't have the give that conventional foam has you can Google for what I mean.

For shorter rides it was really good, but for longer saddle days it was much worse than when I started. I wouldn't do it again. But, that's me.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    Has anyone had a gel pad installed inside their original seat and did it make much difference?I had a old Airhawk and it helped a lot when I let my tailbone hang over the back edge.Unfortunately it started leaking in the middle of a trip and I wasn't crazy about sitting higher than normal either.I see Motorcycle Dave is having a sale and Im thinking about having him put one in for me.
    I did this for an old Honda Shadow seat and it worked wonders for it. In my previous vehicles, I've bought expensive gel pads for seat cushion and back, and wouldn't have been without them (I tried everything else first, including AirHawk).

Now, I have a new truck with very comfortable seats and don't need the gel cushions. And, the stock Spyder seats are very comfortable for both Jane and I, so nothing additional needed there.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

IMHO I would get a separate GEL pad that is covered with some type of material ( they vary ). They are similar in cost and if you DON'T like it you won't have to dis-assemble the Spyder seat to re-move it. Or even better is just buy a RAW un-covered GEL pad ( lots on E-bay ) and try it....you could have it inserted on your Spyder seat later if you like it …… good luck …. Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 11-14-2018 at 01:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have motorcycle Dave's gel pad in my F3L. It's much better than just stock seat. I can last about 2 hrs instead of 30-45 minutes. But I do have leg circulation problems.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO I would get a separate GEL pad that is covered with some type of material ( they vary ). They are similar in cost and if you like it you won't have to dis-assemble the Spyder seat to re-move it. Or even better is just buy a RAW un-covered GEL pad ( lots on E-bay ) and try it....you could have it inserted on your Spyder seat if you like it …… good luck …. Mike
    Here is the gel seat cushion I got for my Xterra; I was able to drive hundreds of miles / day using it; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

We've had Motorcycle Dave's gel inserts for over a year now. Multiple 6 hour days in the saddle proved to us we did the right thing.
    Installed them myself in a half day, start to finish.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    We've had Motorcycle Dave's gel inserts for over a year now. Multiple 6 hour days in the saddle proved to us we did the right thing.
    Installed them myself in a half day, start to finish.
    I actually had an old gel pad and after talking to Motorcycle Dave he convinced me that I could install it myself but I am thinking of putting 2 of his heater kits in at same time.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    I actually had an old gel pad and after talking to Motorcycle Dave he convinced me that I could install it myself but I am thinking of putting 2 of his heater kits in at same time.
    That would be the best time to install the heater kit, while the seat is apart anyway. BTW, I have no idea if the heater will be effective with the gel if the heater is on the bottom side. If it's on the top side it will work, but may or may not detract from the benefit of the gel insert. Something to consider anyway.
    2014 RTL Platinum