Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Plug head broke off on 1330 F3.

Using a torque wrench when I know I should have just Tightened By FEEL like I usually do and the head of the right side Magnet bolt 6mm broke off- Filled with the 4 then 4 1/2 then 5 quarts during timed oil check and No Leak while warm but when cool it is a very slow leak into container. I know the 1 quart in there will slowly leak but wanted the New oil circulated.
    Whats the preferred (Easiest ) way to back out the threaded part- It did NOT strip - It just snapped off? Luckily my Ryker should be here in a month .
    Dealer said- Punch it - drill hole- then reverse drill to extract. Last time I used a torque wrench was on my 09GS and same thing happened- Since then hand tightening by Feel worker perfect- I don't believe I fell for the same mistake again. NO threads on the head.

Any advice for easiest way to extract because it did not strip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    The head of the right side Magnet bolt 6mm broke off- Whats the preferred (Easiest ) way to back out the threaded part- It did NOT strip - It just snapped off? Dealer said- Punch it - drill hole- then reverse drill to extract. NO threads on the head. Any advice for easiest way to extract because it did not strip.
    Since there is nothing to grab hold of, you'll have to drill it and use a bolt extractor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K34RS6M11uw
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Can you see or, better, take a picture of the broken plug in its hole? Don't know if you can drill into the magnet to use a small Easy Out or if there is material you can tap a small cold chisel into twist it out. It should come out fairly easily except for any drag the sheared plug thread may have on the hole threads.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Use a extractor and take your time. There are several different version of a extractor out there.

Spyder Garage

That is a bummer.

Before going to power tools, carefully try a fresh screwdriver in an attempt to simply unscrew the remnants. Work carefully and cautiously so as not to nick a thread and impede progress.

As for the methods involving an easy out or simply drilling, you better be absolutely certain to use a left hand drill bit. If you use a conventional right hand twist drill, you risk the possibility of the drill catching the broken drain plug and winding it into the gearbox. Once inside it will likely stick to something steel and require a teardown in some fashion.

If possible, make a drill bushing / guide, to ensure you do not drill into the exposed threads or sideways, damaging the case.

One of the locals here had the same thing happen, he explained how with time and patience, he was able to unwind the broken drain plug with a screwdriver and maybe a scribe when needed.

Spyder Garage

Thanks ,I'm going to go VERY slow- First is pump the tires up for winter storage and get the wheels all on a couple 2x8s so I can see what I'm doing then jack the right side up a few more inches to work from my back. Might be able to get a little notch in the plug with the dremel to use a screwdriver? Next 10 days to cold to lay on a garage floor. I only had the big torque wrench to use my 36mm socket to Just loosen the oil filter and I should have put it back after that- I'm still kicking myself but when I think of peoples houses burning in California I remind myself to count my blessings?

Spyder Garage

Thanks ,I'm going to go VERY slow- First is pump the tires up for winter storage and get the wheels all on a couple 2x8s so I can see what I'm doing then jack the right side up a few more inches to work from my back. Might be able to get a little notch in the plug with the dremel to use a screwdriver? Next 10 days to cold to lay on a garage floor. I only had the big torque wrench to use my 36mm socket to Just loosen the oil filter and I should have put it back after that- I'm still kicking myself but when I think of peoples houses burning in California I remind myself to count my blessings?
    Do not overthink it. Leave the Dremel in the toolbox until it is certainly needed. If the screwdriver blade has a good sharp edge from being near new, it might grab a burr and simply screw out. If it were me, cold or not, lay cardboard and a blanket on the floor and without even jacking it up, give it a shot. Go steal you wifes makeup mirror to let you see, but do not screw it in, only out, especially using the mirror.

Spyder Garage

Slow and steady wins the race... This video has some things to think about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJfkCj3FWBs

A good light/mirror and having the front wheels up on car ramps might give you enough room to see and work more comfortably.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

I had a similar issue on my 991 the torque specs seems a bit off on the service manual, i have a high end torque wrench that is calibrated properly. So now i just go by the feel. Take your time an extractor should do the job
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would not run your Spyder with that plug piece in there ………. the piece will VARNISH from heat cycles and make it 3X's as difficult to remove. You could probably get a punch in there and Tap that a few times with a Hammer to break the Varnish seal, but the Varnish will make it harder to remove the plug piece...……..good luck, Mike

Spyder Garage

Good advice, don't over think it. Try to unscrew it if possible if not left hand drill, you may get lucky and it unscrews as you drill, if not use an easy out should not be a problem. Good luck nice and easy gets it.
    Joe
    Lamonster Bright Ryder,
    Lamonster Bright Tail Lighter,
    Lamonster H4 LED Headlights,
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights,
    Lamonster Fog Light Ring Combo,
    Rox Riser
    Lamonster Driver Back Rest,
    Lamonster Frame Mount Drink Holder.
    Lamonster 15" Freedom Shield Wind Shield
    ******* USA flag
    Freecom 2 head sets
    Mirror Wedgies by Squared Away
    Motorcycle Dave's Tachform phone cradle
    Spyderpops Turnsignal LEDs
    Spyder Sisters Shade
    Spyderpops LidLocs
    Spyderpops front fender LEDs by Show Chrome
    Motorcycle Dave's Gel seat insert
    2018 F3L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    Slow and steady wins the race... This video has some things to think about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJfkCj3FWBs

A good light/mirror and having the front wheels up on car ramps might give you enough room to see and work more comfortably.
    Thanks for this excellent video! If I can't coax it out the Non-Powered way I would buy and use his Hinge Guide Sighting way with a reverse drill because I would be sure its not going to ruin the case threads. If it does not free I won't drill the hole to far in and then use the appropriate size extractor. I never heard of this drill guide/centering thing before and it seems to be a Great method for this if Non powered ways fail. Video covers ALL types of situations!!!

Spyder Garage

All good advice. And very, very, scary for me. You folks are great.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If the screwdriver doesn't work. Clean plug and hex "L" wrench well with brake cleaner. Glue hex to plug with high strength/tech glue. Putty form of glue will not drip. Be extra careful not to get glue on case.

Good luck!

BTW: I was thinking about putting magnetic plug in. However, there are MANY post on this site about them breaking. Usually when trying to remove though.

Regards,

Don
    Last edited by dondje; 11-15-2018 at 12:57 PM.
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Do not overthink it. Leave the Dremel in the toolbox until it is certainly needed. If the screwdriver blade has a good sharp edge from being near new, it might grab a burr and simply screw out. If it were me, cold or not, lay cardboard and a blanket on the floor and without even jacking it up, give it a shot. Go steal you wifes makeup mirror to let you see, but do not screw it in, only out, especially using the mirror.
    You were right, with snow a few hours away I went out and tapped it with a screwdriver a few times and then tried to turn with a screwdriver on a rough edge and viola it came out very easy and the threads and mounting surface are like new!!! Looked up the part # to order and No 1330 listed has the Part # available? I called my dealer and he had One in stock so I can now fix it tomorrow and I will measure the oil that leaked in the container below it and add and then do another oil level check test. I will hand tighten and then do the extra 1/4 turn this time.
    Could it be they make this part sacrificial ( Like the sprocket VS Output shaft) because if were very hard metal the threads would probably be affected if over torqued? Just a thought?
    I was lucky and want to Thank everyone for the constructive comments and videos because I sure learned some good methods if it were worse!!!
    I have learned you can Always count on Spyder lovers to help with a problem!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

You were right, with snow a few hours away I went out and tapped it with a screwdriver a few times and then tried to turn with a screwdriver on a rough edge and viola it came out very easy and the threads and mounting surface are like new!!! Looked up the part # to order and No 1330 listed has the Part # available? I called my dealer and he had One in stock so I can now fix it tomorrow and I will measure the oil that leaked in the container below it and add and then do another oil level check test. I will hand tighten and then do the extra 1/4 turn this time.
    Could it be they make this part sacrificial ( Like the sprocket VS Output shaft) because if were very hard metal the threads would probably be affected if over torqued? Just a thought?
    I was lucky and want to Thank everyone for the constructive comments and videos because I sure learned some good methods if it were worse!!!
    I highly doubt drain plugs are the sacraficial component.

Regardless glad to read it easily was removed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I highly doubt drain plugs are the sacraficial component.

Regardless glad to read it easily was removed.

I agree. The steel used in the drain plugs is overly mild whatever flavor they use. If I had to guess, I'd say it was typical cheap Chinese junk BRP is purchasing from a vendor.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I never use a torque wrench on a drain plug. Just design for disaster. They do not need to be all that tight. Just hand snug with a 3/8" drive ratchet is plenty. They will get tighter as they go through heat cycles. That is why your drain plug is always tighter when you take it off than when you installed it. It won't fall out and it won't leak. Which is, I know, what people are concerned about.

If the OEM drain plug is that weak I'd consider one of the aftermarket products. Though it could be just a quality control issue and you got a bad one. I've not heard of anyone else twisting a head off like this. But maybe I just missed that memo!

Certainly great news that the fix was so easy. I am very glad that it worked out as well as it did. Usually you will strip threads long before the head twists off.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I never use a torque wrench on a drain plug. Just design for disaster. They do not need to be all that tight. Just hand snug with a 3/8" drive ratchet is plenty. They will get tighter as they go through heat cycles. That is why your drain plug is always tighter when you take it off than when you installed it. It won't fall out and it won't leak. Which is, I know, what people are concerned about.

If the OEM drain plug is that weak I'd consider one of the aftermarket products. Though it could be just a quality control issue and you got a bad one. I've not heard of anyone else twisting a head off like this. But maybe I just missed that memo!

Certainly great news that the fix was so easy. I am very glad that it worked out as well as it did. Usually you will strip threads long before the head twists off.
    Ron by " tighter " are you referring to the " varnish " that forms on the threads from the oil ????? …… if so I always give the socket I'm using ( to remove ) a solid rap with a hammer first ….. it usually makes removal easier ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

If you have access to mig welder tack a 3/8 nut right on and then back it right out .
    Way easier than the drill and try to back out method .

Spyder Garage

Hi guys, I have just done my first oil change and found this post to be very interesting. I didn't have a torque wrench, so hand tightened by feel was the method. My concern is the method by which Can Am have adopted for removal and reinstalling the oil drain plugs. I am a mechanically minded type person and my experienced with fittings that use allen key or torx arrangements for unscrewing/screwing the fitting tend to be wear and the tool loses its ability to grip the fitting. This oil change was the first time I have done since the dealers warranty service, the main oil drain plug does have a larger torx arrangement whereby the torx tool does have some material to be positively located and grip the plug, but I am nervous in regard to the reliability long term of this arrangement. The clutch drain plug uses a smaller torx tool and I was uneasy when I was trying to remove this plug as it felt it was about to fail. However with a couple of short sharp taps with a hammer onto the end of the torx tool, the plug finally undone. I cannot understand why Can Am have persisted with this arrangement, most other manufactures use the conventional hexagon head whereby the reliable standard socket can be used for its removal/reinstalling. (and on the rare occasion where the hex head becomes rounded, you still have the metal to work with to remove it) The size of the torx tool to remove the drain plugs are in my opinion too small in relation to the size and force that I have experienced to remove and reinstall these plugs, the sealing head of the drain plugs are not very thick, and particularly with the clutch drain plug, the torx inset goes into the main body of the plug so it does not surprise me that the head had sheared off. I had thought about replacing them with conventional plugs but unfortunately Can Am have come up with an internal O-ring sealing arrangement for the main drain plug (I guess one could machine one up) and the clutch plug has the magnet attached. Moving forward, I will be looking at least of purchasing a spare set of plugs and ensure that my torx tools are in pristine condition, wondering if there is any aftermarket plugs that would do the job.
    To Finish, I love my RT 1330, but would have to say that Can Am need to think about how does one work on these machines. Just to do a standard oil change, you have to strip halve the bike down to get access. Hate to think what you have to do if eg. one developed an oil leak around the rocker cover.
    2016 RT , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ojonesy View Post
    Hi guys, I have just done my first oil change and found this post to be very interesting. I didn't have a torque wrench, so hand tightened by feel was the method. My concern is the method by which Can Am have adopted for removal and reinstalling the oil drain plugs. I am a mechanically minded type person and my experienced with fittings that use allen key or torx arrangements for unscrewing/screwing the fitting tend to be wear and the tool loses its ability to grip the fitting. This oil change was the first time I have done since the dealers warranty service, the main oil drain plug does have a larger torx arrangement whereby the torx tool does have some material to be positively located and grip the plug, but I am nervous in regard to the reliability long term of this arrangement. The clutch drain plug uses a smaller torx tool and I was uneasy when I was trying to remove this plug as it felt it was about to fail. However with a couple of short sharp taps with a hammer onto the end of the torx tool, the plug finally undone. I cannot understand why Can Am have persisted with this arrangement, most other manufactures use the conventional hexagon head whereby the reliable standard socket can be used for its removal/reinstalling. (and on the rare occasion where the hex head becomes rounded, you still have the metal to work with to remove it) The size of the torx tool to remove the drain plugs are in my opinion too small in relation to the size and force that I have experienced to remove and reinstall these plugs, the sealing head of the drain plugs are not very thick, and particularly with the clutch drain plug, the torx inset goes into the main body of the plug so it does not surprise me that the head had sheared off. I had thought about replacing them with conventional plugs but unfortunately Can Am have come up with an internal O-ring sealing arrangement for the main drain plug (I guess one could machine one up) and the clutch plug has the magnet attached. Moving forward, I will be looking at least of purchasing a spare set of plugs and ensure that my torx tools are in pristine condition, wondering if there is any aftermarket plugs that would do the job.
    To Finish, I love my RT 1330, but would have to say that Can Am need to think about how does one work on these machines. Just to do a standard oil change, you have to strip halve the bike down to get access. Hate to think what you have to do if eg. one developed an oil leak around the rocker cover.
    ………… Look at VALUE ACCESSORIES on the home page - I think they have the best prices on the better Style drain plugs ….. I use the GOLD brand , and I only changed the TORX plug ….the HEX plug has never been an issue …………..PS - maybe you know this , after you put the socket on the drain plug give a couple of solid Taps with a hammer - this will break the Varnish seal that gets formed over time due to heat cycles ….. Good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

The plug on the clutch side is Allen hex, not torx. The one on the engine side is Torx.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

OEM's often use the cheapest, lowest strength/quality fasteners due to trying to keep costs low. These fasteners are often made of " cheese " like the tool kits on Honda's of the 60's. When I bought general fasteners for my shop classes I went with Grade 5 nuts and bolts as general use fasteners ----no lower grade ( Grade 3 with no marking on the bolt head). Sure it cost a bit more but as I did a lot of repair for the school, there just can't be fastener failures.
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Hello JCTHORNE, That's very interesting about the clutch drain plug because initially I thought the same thing. Having tried my allen keys and not finding one that felt good and seeing that the main oil plug was torx, I tried them and found one that fitted, but as I said in my previous post, I was not comfortable with it. If what you are saying is correct, I suspect the dealer had issues last time they did the service and possibly rounded off the allen key profile in the plug and then tried a torx tool to do the job. As BlueKnight911 said, a quick sharp tap with the hammer can break the seal and release the grip on the plug, this is exactly what I did, and if the clutch plug was originally an allen key type and had been rounded, the torx tool may have been able to slide in and with me giving it a tap, may have driven it in firmer so that I was able to undo it. Certainly now I will have a closer inspection and if proven correct, will be ordering a new one. Will also check out Value accessories too.
    2016 RT , Pearl White