Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default From the crate setup

Hello all, new member here. This is my first post but like others I've been lurking for awhile. I'm located on the Florida gulf coast just north of Tampa. My current ride is a 2015 Goldwing which I will be trading in on a new 2019 F3 Limited soon after the first of the year. After talking with a local dealer about price, lead time, etc., (Tampa Bay Powersports) I have a question for the forum:

One of the questions I had for the dealer was: do you perform a laser alignment as part of the setup process when uncrating a new Spyder? His answer was NO! Naturally I asked why and he said it's never been an issue and they don't have the equipment which is very costly. Truthfully I was surprised at his answer. This bothers me because even if I wanted a laser alignment they're not equipped to do it.

So, my questions to you experienced Spyder owners: how important is the laser alignment right out of the crate? is it normal procedure to do this or not?
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Spyders from the factory are not always aligned as they should be. It is usually a crap shoot if you are going to get a perfectly aligned one.

Recommended, is to have a laser alignment done asap. Your dealer should spend the $1,500 or so for the equipment to do a proper laser alignment.

There are "independents" around that do it. A separate inquiry for the Florida area should let you know who and where.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-13-2018 at 07:28 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Consider, if you purchase a new, or even used car or truck, they will not accomplish a wheel alignment at the dealership prior to delivery.

Myself, and my experience with setting up suspension says to ride it a few hundred miles to settle the suspension, then accomplish the alignment. Of course you can do it when brand new, but expect it to change somewhat as it settles.

I would be hesitant to suggest the dealer by the equipment. Sadly, alignments are not within the capability of all techs, and sometimes they make the moves but accomplish worse.

A friend had a laser alignment accomplished by a dealer. Within short time he noticed tire wear. I do not laser align, but have the tools to accurately check or align a Spyder. His RT was hugely misaligned. Made a few simple changes to get it within spec and not only saved his new tires, but increased his fuel mileage.

Spyder Garage

My wife and I are on our 3d spyder none ever had any alignment except what came from the factory.

Spyder Garage

After receiving alignments from Squared Away (while they visited us in AK), both machines tracked better than new. One machine had just received an "alignment" from the dealer. Ann said that particular machine was more out of alignment than they usually encounter.

I vote to get one done at least once a year--if you can.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Since you don't know what the alignment is out of the crate it depends on whether or not you are lucky, IMO. Mine was laser aligned as part of the set up and the technician told me one wheel was out just a little but the other was quite a way out when I asked. Take your new Spyder for a test ride with identically inflated front tires, safely get it up to speed on a nice road and take youe hands off the bars. If it doesn't track like an arrow shot from a crossbow you have an alignment problem.
    Last edited by JayBros; 11-13-2018 at 08:32 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

THe laser tool is closer to 1500 bucks..But if they do enough alignments it will pay for itself in no time.

There is another way but they do recommend now the laser alignment version.

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments. I will drive it a few hundred miles to let the suspension settle and hope it tracks true after that. If not, the dealer in Kissimmee, FL does laser alignments and I'll just bite the bullet and pay to have it done.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    THe laser tool is closer to 1500 bucks..But if they do enough alignments it will pay for itself in no time.

There is another way but they do recommend now the laser alignment version.
    I edited my # in the post above. Thanks for coming back with the correct price.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post
    Thanks everyone for your advice and comments. I will drive it a few hundred miles to let the suspension settle and hope it tracks true after that. If not, the dealer in Kissimmee, FL does laser alignments and I'll just bite the bullet and pay to have it done.
    You've come to the same conclusion I did. I think when buying new, it's important to ride it for a few months as it was delivered per the specs the dealer must follow. If the Spyder doesn't ride well but you've got third-party services or third-party parts involved it can confuse who caused the problem and who is responsible for fixing what. My first few weeks with the Spyder I thought I had issues with the suspension but looking back all I needed was a little bit of wear on the tires. Also, as JayBro mentions, identically inflated front tires is probably the most important thing I do to make sure I have a smooth ride ahead.
    Last edited by BryanSD; 11-13-2018 at 07:46 PM.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I edited my # in the post above. Thanks for coming back with the correct price.
    IT may even be higher now..I priced one a few years ago and at that time it was around 1500

Spyder Garage

Even if the price for a Rolo system doubled, at $125 -150/alignment a dealership would have it paid for in a season if they sold a reasonable number of Spyders. The big thing is that the technicians must know exactly what they are doing. Cutting corners in the process = jobs.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Has anyone had a Spyder with aftermarket wheels aligned? I had a problem getting an alignment because of this recently..

Spyder Garage

There are better dealers in the Tampa Bay area than the one you are dealing with. (first hand experience)
    Before you shell out your hard-earned dollars, I suggest you visit a few others.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSD View Post
    You've come to the same conclusion I did. I think when buying new, it's important to ride it for a few months as it was delivered per the specs the dealer must follow. If the Spyder doesn't ride well but you've got third-party services or third-party parts involved it can confuse who caused the problem and who is responsible for fixing what. My first few weeks with the Spyder I thought I had issues with the suspension but looking back all I needed was a little bit of wear on the tires. Also, as JayBro mentions, identically inflated front tires is probably the most important thing I do to make sure I have a smooth ride ahead.
    There are no 'specs the dealer must follow' for delivering a Spyder other than take it out of the crate and slap the wheels on. They are not laser aligned at the factory nor is such alignment part of assembly and delivery prep. There is NO reason to 'ride it for a few months' before getting the alignment done. It would be best to do it the day the bike is assembled. Very few dealers do. If you choose to purchase from a dealer that does not, you should get one done by an independent shop asap. There is no reason to ride it misaligned for months while trying to learn to ride one.

The VAST majority are not aligned correctly as delivered from BRP. Less than 1% has been the discovery rate for my shop and other Rolo dealers.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 11-16-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnny pop View Post
    Has anyone had a Spyder with aftermarket wheels aligned? I had a problem getting an alignment because of this recently..
    We do them with aftermarket wheels all the time.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Even if the price for a Rolo system doubled, at $125 -150/alignment a dealership would have it paid for in a season if they sold a reasonable number of Spyders. The big thing is that the technicians must know exactly what they are doing. Cutting corners in the process = lousy jobs.
    Its not true. Most dealers that bought the tools sell very few alignments as most owners feel its either warranty concern or part of initial delivery. A large number that bought the tools no longer or never did do the alignments. A few dealers do it as the right thing to do and good customer service but none that I know of ever make much $$ off it. This is also why Mancuso here in Houston does not do them and refers all alignments to me. No one expects the independent shop to do them for free. Its just expectations.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    There are better dealers in the Tampa Bay area than the one you are dealing with. (first hand experience)
    Before you shell out your hard-earned dollars, I suggest you visit a few others.
    I've found three dealers who do the laser alignments using the Rolo system. One is 30 min away and the other two are both within about two hours ride, so close enough. I believe my best option at this time is to shop these dealers if possible and get the alignment done as part of the delivery process even if I have to pay extra for it. May be a waste of money but I'd feel better about it.

Spyder Garage

Many that offer rolo alignments have a "if it does not need an additional alignment--there is no charge" policy.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Many that offer rolo alignments have a "if it does not need an additional alignment--there is no charge" policy.
    Good to know, thanks

Spyder Garage

Most of us do. I have only done ONE free alignment. Or rather alignment setup to find out it was already just fine. ONE.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post
    ....do you perform a laser alignment as part of the setup process when uncrating a new Spyder? His answer was NO! Naturally I asked why and he said it's never been an issue and they don't have the equipment which is very costly. Truthfully I was surprised at his answer. This bothers me because even if I wanted a laser alignment they're not equipped to do it.

So, my questions to you experienced Spyder owners: how important is the laser alignment right out of the crate? is it normal procedure to do this or not?
    My new 2014 RTL has never needed an alignment and I have 17k miles on it so far (with OEM Kenda front tires). Maybe I lucked out, but I think not. I think MOST of the time, Can-Am gets it aligned properly at the factory, before it's shipped out to the dealer.

It is not normal for a dealer to check the alignment on a new bike. Car dealers don't - RIGHT? It's expected the factory set the alignment properly as part of their quality control.

In the rare instance that a brand new bike is out of alignment, this will become evident to the rider in the way the tires wear unnaturally, or the bike is squirrely at speed or on rutted roads, etc. In that case, the dealer should be able to check for alignment problems and fix them under warranty.

Re-aligning the front wheels requires the steering sensors be reset using the BUDS system, which is expensive, but no authorized dealer should be without at least one of these.

The laser alignment system itself is certainly an advancement over whatever method is otherwise used. Most Can-Am dealers don't sell or service that many Spyders compared to all the other vehicles, snowmobiles, and PWCs they sell and service - none of which require alignment to the degree that Spyders do - so most choose not to invest in a laser alignment tool.

Bottom line; don't worry about it. If, for some reason, you think your bike could benefit from a laser alignment, then there are dealers who have that equipment although you may have to travel a few miles out of your way to get it done. Additionally, Squared-Away goes to most, if not all, Spyder rallies and events, so you have opportunities to use their expert services at some time during the year.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 11-20-2018 at 07:44 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are a number of videos on the topic. Here is one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WohBmqmv78U
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    That's mighty generous ...
    Squared Away offered it. Don't know if they still do.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

We do. If it is within spec, it’s free. Most are not. We do Ann’s bikes first thing, and have not had anything change. Done is good, and sooner is better! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system